Fayetteville Football

rebelboy121

1 hour ago, Varo said:

@Salem yes, we have been very fortunate to have a developed Middle school team;  they've had three consecutive undefeated seasons/championships.  Word on the street is that of the 11-13 eighth-graders from last year, only one or two are going or went across the river.  It's funny you mentioned our county neighbors and sabotage in the same comment.  It's been widely talked about that some of their players and/or coaches have actively pursued some of our City boys to transfer to their school.   A few have gone looking for greener pastures, but by the same token, some have come back.  The faithful are ever hopeful to bring back the glory years of the early nineties, when LC was well-known and a team to reckon with.  That was (over) twenty-five years ago.  As it is now, and five years after we established the City high school, we have consistently produced student-athletes that are able to compete.   One thing that grabs me is that they roster their ninth-graders, thus effectively making the kids ineligible for a time in case they do transfer back.  But hey, all's fair in love and war.  

I have not had the opportunity to meet Coach Morson, but from what I've heard after he met with all the students was that he was very positive and excited about the future of our program.  Around 50-60 kids stayed to talk with him about playing.  Time will tell if that translates into the weight room and football field.  He has been at Decatur HS for at least 20 years, most if not all of that time as the OC--very loyal to his head coach and the school.  I'm sure there will be some sort of learning curve getting used to 1-A Tennessee football, but a good coach is a good coach.  

The search for our coach did seem to take forever in my mind, and we had several excellent candidates that applied and interviewed, some two or three times.  Coach Randolph at Cornersville, the AD at Father Ryan, and a coach from Blackman HS among them.  All were this close to signing, and for whatever reason, changed their minds.  The conspiracy theorist in me thinks someone, somehow, talked them out of it at the eleventh hour.  Regardless of my crazy thoughts, I think it was worth the wait.  

@theAmbassador I'm still here, lurking in the shadows.  It might be time for a resurgence of the Tiger.  Glad to be (somewhat) back, though I never really left.  Peaks and valleys. . . 

Good to hear from you old friend. 

The Fayetteville Tiger's 2019 schedule was released last night on FB.  Oh Em Gee.  We have our work cut out for us.  But, can't get better with only cupcakes.

8/23 Marion Co.

8/30 @ Zion Christian

9/6 Huntland*

9/13 @ Mt. Pleasant*

9/20 @ Moore Co.*

9/27 Richland*

10/4 Cornersville*

10/11 Open

10/18 @ Gordonsville

10/25 Whitwell

11/1 @ Sale Creek

15 minutes ago, Varo said:

The Fayetteville Tiger's 2019 schedule was released last night on FB.  Oh Em Gee.  We have our work cut out for us.  But, can't get better with only cupcakes.

8/23 Marion Co.

8/30 @ Zion Christian

9/6 Huntland*

9/13 @ Mt. Pleasant*

9/20 @ Moore Co.*

9/27 Richland*

10/4 Cornersville*

10/11 Open

10/18 @ Gordonsville

10/25 Whitwell

11/1 @ Sale Creek

Looks like Coach Palmer gave Fayetteville a nice goodbye gift.  lol

The new Coach "Double DIp" has his work cut out for him from the get go.

29 minutes ago, ocac said:

Looks like Coach Palmer gave Fayetteville a nice goodbye gift.  lol

The new Coach "Double DIp" has his work cut out for him from the get go.

On 1/10/2019 at 1:27 PM, ocac said:

Morson made it very clear how important it was for him to "Double Dip" in his press release.  I hope he puts that passion into the school house and the football program.  Sounds like a short term marriage.  Make the money and go back home.  smh

@ocac  I'm sorry to say I didn't see the press release you refer to.  I did see an article in our local paper but nothing in there mentioned double-dipping.  Do you have a link?  Here is article I saw.

https://www.elkvalleytimes.com/sports/local/morson-new-leader-of-tiger-football/article_6cc24b8c-1819-11e9-8698-dfc6cb742203.html

24 minutes ago, Varo said:

@ocac  I'm sorry to say I didn't see the press release you refer to.  I did see an article in our local paper but nothing in there mentioned double-dipping.  Do you have a link?  Here is article I saw.

https://www.elkvalleytimes.com/sports/local/morson-new-leader-of-tiger-football/article_6cc24b8c-1819-11e9-8698-dfc6cb742203.html

Sorry Varo.  I do not have the link.  But, he made it very clear in the article how important it was to retire in Alabama and draw retirement while working in TN.  Probably not a good look to express that to media and taking a job working with kids.  Kids should take priority.  I may be alone in my thoughts, but it hit me the wrong way.

30 minutes ago, Varo said:

Found it.  Go to Tennessee High School Football website, Donovan Stewart.  Search: Fayetteville.  Read article and tell us what you think.

Edited by ocac

2 hours ago, Varo said:

8/23 Marion Co.

8/30 @ Zion Christian

9/6 Huntland*

9/13 @ Mt. Pleasant*

9/20 @ Moore Co.*

9/27 Richland*

10/4 Cornersville*

10/11 Open

10/18 @ Gordonsville

10/25 Whitwell

11/1 @ Sale Creek

Whoever made this schedule should be terminated immediately.

2 hours ago, ocac said:

Found it.  Go to Tennessee High School Football website, Donovan Stewart.  Search: Fayetteville.  Read article and tell us what you think.

Okay, I found the Donovan Stewart article, as well as one from the Decatur Daily newspaper (www.DecaturDaily.com) dated Jan 9 and written by David Elwell--

Prep football: Decatur assistant coach Kenny Morson leaving to be head coach

https://www.decaturdaily.com/sports/high_school/decatur_high/prep-football-decatur-assistant-coach-kenny-morson-leaving-to-be/article_a64251ab-1327-517d-a883-b1f21dfd87d4.html

Quoting Mr. Elwell from the article:  

“The Decatur community has been so great to me and my family that there never was a good time to leave,” Morson said. “Now is a good time. My sons (Cameron and Conner) are graduating and going off to college.”

Morson, 50, is working on his 25th year in education in Alabama. He will be eligible to start drawing state retirement after this school year.

“With two boys heading off to college, this is a great opportunity to be a head coach and be prepared to pay some college bills,” Morson said. “Decatur means so much to my family. I have had other opportunities over the years that maybe didn’t feel right at the time. This feels right.”

and Donovan Stewart's:

“The chance to double dip with retirement in Alabama and going across the state line into Tennessee and taking over a very similar program in Fayetteville that has a lot of potential is very appealing to me,” Morson said.

When you first mentioned "double-dipping" I didn't understand your context--I was thinking taking or using athletes from other sports and encouraging them to play multiple sports.   After reading both of these articles, I will say that he is looking forward to drawing his retirement from AL AND still continue to work to pay for his sons' college.  It doesn't strike me as a take the money and run situation.

And look at this from our local newspaper, The Elk Valley Times, when he met with the student body:

“I appreciate the warm welcome I’ve been given today,” Morson said. “I’m excited about this job and this opportunity. I’ve been at one school for 22 years. I stayed in one place the whole time. and there are guys in here that look real similar to what I’ve seen for a lot of years and even better … It’s amazing the similarities in what I see. I think the transition can be very smooth.

“What I see here is family, as well,” he added. “My door is open to everyone, and I want to encourage you to become a part of this program no matter if it’s on the playing field, a manager, trainer, videographer or cheering in the stands. If you’ve had a bad experience in football along the way, you start with a clean slate with me. I encourage you to give it another try. You guys already playing, you need to be out there.

“We’ll put emphasis on your grades, attendance and discipline,” Morson continued. “I’ve got to finish up my time in Decatur this semester, but I’ll be up here in the afternoons getting to know you guys and working in the weight room.”

Sounds like a winner to me.