TN Coach's Poll for 7 January

ArtusCimber

• TENNESSEE HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING POLL

From: Jeff Price                                                               Results from: 1/7/19

THIS IS THE SIXTH POLL OF THE SEASON. 

Now in its 27th year, The Poll is primarily a measure of dual meet strength with some consideration to individual tournament strength.   Votes are cast by a state-wide panel of high school wrestling coaches and are based on a maximum Power Ranking of 168.

STATE POLL:

RANK

SCHOOL

POWER

RANKING

LAST WEEK

BAYLOR

CLEVELAND

CHRISTIAN BROTHERS

FATHER RYAN

MCCALLIE

WILSON CENTRAL

ARLINGTON

BRADLEY CENTRAL

BLACKMAN

SCIENCE HILL

BRENTWOOD

OAKLAND

NR

Others receiving votes:  CENTENNIAL, CLARKSVILLE, ROSSVIEW, SUMMIT

So just so I can understand because I'm new to this. But Summit beats Brentwood 48 to 30, and  Brentwood is ranked 11. Now Centennial who has already beaten Oakland, ranked 12, AND beat Summit 54-19 isnt ranked. I mean I'm not a sports analyst but I am a software developer and thats not really how logic works... Just curious who votes for the rankings or how they are made. 

*Just weird, I have a relative that wrestled D2 and then a younger brother that wrestled in this region. The D2 team is ranked in the top 5 beat summit in a closer match. Makes you wonder if people just brand name teams rather than put statistical thought into polls.

Edited by MichauleyCulkin
cousin in d2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MichauleyCulkin said:

Makes you wonder if people just brand name teams rather than put statistical thought into polls.

Its called Legacy ranking and it's become painfully obvious that the coaches voting in the poll either dont have time or (definitely don't mean the Bradley coaches here :-)) are too lazy to take the time to study teams to make an informed vote, so they pick the "branded" teams.  When the initial poll came out with Soddy ranked I think most who read this board began to consider the Coaches Poll no longer valid. 

Hopefully Arty can revamp his good old boy network of pollsters and create something valid next year. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nainten said:

It's a poll.  It just tells us what the coaches as a group are thinking.  It's a "wisdom of the crowd" kind of thing.  Why would one put anymore stock in it than that?   

It really shouldn't but teams use these "rankings" for promotion.  So it is going to be used and since it will be used, shouldn't we at least try to get it right?  Don't we owe it to the coaches and wrestlers to try to put out the best product available?  Wouldn't it be fair to teams like Summit, Rossview, Clarksville, etc. to be able to advertise their program as "Top 12 ranked..." in order to help create more excitement and hopefully grow?  I think the most deserving teams should be offered that opportunity. 

Why is it so unusual to ask that something be done with some effort if it is going to be done???  Isn't this the whole mantra that we claim as a difference with wrestling and all other sports?  Shouldn't it apply to every aspect not just the matches on the mat?  

18 minutes ago, ObserverW said:

It really shouldn't but teams use these "rankings" for promotion.  So it is going to be used and since it will be used, shouldn't we at least try to get it right?  Don't we owe it to the coaches and wrestlers to try to put out the best product available?  Wouldn't it be fair to teams like Summit, Rossview, Clarksville, etc. to be able to advertise their program as "Top 12 ranked..." in order to help create more excitement and hopefully grow?  I think the most deserving teams should be offered that opportunity. 

Why is it so unusual to ask that something be done with some effort if it is going to be done???  Isn't this the whole mantra that we claim as a difference with wrestling and all other sports?  Shouldn't it apply to every aspect not just the matches on the mat?  

Uh oh, wait for the ol "don't like it, do it yourself" response

Just now, ObserverW said:

That's not realistic. You know they're not going to stop doing it--so instead of your sound bites, lets get some changes going and make it valid.  

U proved my point genius, rankings are made in every sport not just wrestling. Nobody is ever happy, so while your sitting here crying, that’s exactly what the rankings do. It happens every year.

1 minute ago, fooseball95 said:

U proved my point genius, rankings are made in every sport not just wrestling. Nobody is ever happy, so while your sitting here crying, that’s exactly what the rankings do. It happens every year.

Your statement makes no sense to me.  And you will never understand because your team is ranked (and deservedly so) but if your team was one of those who is slighted then you might take your head out of the hole its in and try to look around and see why.  I don't have a problem with the rankings themselves, I think rankings are good.  But the way they are done now is equivalent to someone doing an NFL ranking and year after year and always adding Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Carolina, and Dallas because those are the teams that "should" be winning--they have the most fans.  Where as, maybe one should do some research and list Kansas City and LA.  They don't have the coolest uniforms and the most fans and neither team will earn a legacy ranking but they deserve the recognition.  

All it takes is a little bit of effort.  Track makes it very very easy now.  Don't want to put forth the effort, then bow out of being in the poll group and add someone that cares enough to do some research.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ObserverW said:

Your statement makes no sense to me.  And you will never understand because your team is ranked (and deservedly so) but if your team was one of those who is slighted then you might take your head out of the hole its in and try to look around and see why.  I don't have a problem with the rankings themselves, I think rankings are good.  But the way they are done now is equivalent to someone doing an NFL ranking and year after year and always adding Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Carolina, and Dallas because those are the teams that "should" be winning--they have the most fans.  Where as, maybe one should do some research and list Kansas City and LA.  They don't have the coolest uniforms and the most fans and neither team will earn a legacy ranking but they deserve the recognition.  

All it takes is a little bit of effort.  Track makes it very very easy now.  Don't want to put forth the effort, then bow out of being in the poll group and add someone that cares enough to do some research.

whine whine whine whine.  i picture OW as a big crybaby that when he doesnt get his way he needs momma to still change his diaper, probably never even wrestled! 

Also this poll is done by the coaches ole smart one, maybe you should have a conversation with them that they are doing it wrong! I KNOW you must know more than almost all of them!