Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Violet
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Maroon
  • Orange
  • Gold
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal

Welcome to the upgraded message boards!  Please note: if you have been using a username to sign in that is different than the handle (display name) displayed on the boards, you must now sign in with either your handle (display name) or the email address associated with your account.  If you don't know what this means, then it probably doesn't affect you!

ArtusCimber

TN Coach's Poll for 7 January

Recommended Posts

  • TENNESSEE HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING POLL

                                                                                                                                       

    From: Jeff Price                                                               Results from: 1/7/19

     

    THIS IS THE SIXTH POLL OF THE SEASON. 

     

    Now in its 27th year, The Poll is primarily a measure of dual meet strength with some consideration to individual tournament strength.   Votes are cast by a state-wide panel of high school wrestling coaches and are based on a maximum Power Ranking of 168.

     

    STATE POLL:

     

    RANK

    SCHOOL

    POWER

    RANKING

    LAST WEEK

    1

    BAYLOR

    166

    1

    2

    CLEVELAND

    153

    2

    3

    CHRISTIAN BROTHERS

    139

    3

    4

    FATHER RYAN

    127

    4

    5

    MCCALLIE

    115

    5

    6

    WILSON CENTRAL

    91

    6

    7

    ARLINGTON

    83

    7

    8

    BRADLEY CENTRAL

    74

    8

    9

    BLACKMAN

    55

    9

    10

    SCIENCE HILL

    29

    10

    11

    BRENTWOOD

    19

    12

    12

    OAKLAND

    14

    NR

     

    Others receiving votes:  CENTENNIAL, CLARKSVILLE, ROSSVIEW, SUMMIT

     

     

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So just so I can understand because I'm new to this. But Summit beats Brentwood 48 to 30, and  Brentwood is ranked 11. Now Centennial who has already beaten Oakland, ranked 12, AND beat Summit 54-19 isnt ranked. I mean I'm not a sports analyst but I am a software developer and thats not really how logic works... Just curious who votes for the rankings or how they are made. 

*Just weird, I have a relative that wrestled D2 and then a younger brother that wrestled in this region. The D2 team is ranked in the top 5 beat summit in a closer match. Makes you wonder if people just brand name teams rather than put statistical thought into polls.

Edited by MichauleyCulkin
cousin in d2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MichauleyCulkin said:

Makes you wonder if people just brand name teams rather than put statistical thought into polls.

Its called Legacy ranking and it's become painfully obvious that the coaches voting in the poll either dont have time or (definitely don't mean the Bradley coaches here :-)) are too lazy to take the time to study teams to make an informed vote, so they pick the "branded" teams.  When the initial poll came out with Soddy ranked I think most who read this board began to consider the Coaches Poll no longer valid. 

Hopefully Arty can revamp his good old boy network of pollsters and create something valid next year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing to keep in mind when evaluating dual meet scores may be whether the times wrestled a typical line-up or not.  Match-ups can make certain duals closer between teams and the transitive property doesn't always carry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a poll.  It just tells us what the coaches as a group are thinking.  It's a "wisdom of the crowd" kind of thing.  Why would one put anymore stock in it than that?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Nainten said:

It's a poll.  It just tells us what the coaches as a group are thinking.  It's a "wisdom of the crowd" kind of thing.  Why would one put anymore stock in it than that?   

It really shouldn't but teams use these "rankings" for promotion.  So it is going to be used and since it will be used, shouldn't we at least try to get it right?  Don't we owe it to the coaches and wrestlers to try to put out the best product available?  Wouldn't it be fair to teams like Summit, Rossview, Clarksville, etc. to be able to advertise their program as "Top 12 ranked..." in order to help create more excitement and hopefully grow?  I think the most deserving teams should be offered that opportunity. 

Why is it so unusual to ask that something be done with some effort if it is going to be done???  Isn't this the whole mantra that we claim as a difference with wrestling and all other sports?  Shouldn't it apply to every aspect not just the matches on the mat?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ObserverW said:

It really shouldn't but teams use these "rankings" for promotion.  So it is going to be used and since it will be used, shouldn't we at least try to get it right?  Don't we owe it to the coaches and wrestlers to try to put out the best product available?  Wouldn't it be fair to teams like Summit, Rossview, Clarksville, etc. to be able to advertise their program as "Top 12 ranked..." in order to help create more excitement and hopefully grow?  I think the most deserving teams should be offered that opportunity. 

Why is it so unusual to ask that something be done with some effort if it is going to be done???  Isn't this the whole mantra that we claim as a difference with wrestling and all other sports?  Shouldn't it apply to every aspect not just the matches on the mat?  

Uh oh, wait for the ol "don't like it, do it yourself" response

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, PurpleWrestler said:

Uh oh, wait for the ol "don't like it, do it yourself" response

Or maybe everybody should just stop doing rankings period and let the results speak for themselves?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fooseball95 said:

Or maybe everybody should just stop doing rankings period and let the results speak for themselves?

That's not realistic. You know they're not going to stop doing it--so instead of your sound bites, lets get some changes going and make it valid.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ObserverW said:

That's not realistic. You know they're not going to stop doing it--so instead of your sound bites, lets get some changes going and make it valid.  

U proved my point genius, rankings are made in every sport not just wrestling. Nobody is ever happy, so while your sitting here crying, that’s exactly what the rankings do. It happens every year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fooseball95 said:

U proved my point genius, rankings are made in every sport not just wrestling. Nobody is ever happy, so while your sitting here crying, that’s exactly what the rankings do. It happens every year.

Your statement makes no sense to me.  And you will never understand because your team is ranked (and deservedly so) but if your team was one of those who is slighted then you might take your head out of the hole its in and try to look around and see why.  I don't have a problem with the rankings themselves, I think rankings are good.  But the way they are done now is equivalent to someone doing an NFL ranking and year after year and always adding Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Carolina, and Dallas because those are the teams that "should" be winning--they have the most fans.  Where as, maybe one should do some research and list Kansas City and LA.  They don't have the coolest uniforms and the most fans and neither team will earn a legacy ranking but they deserve the recognition.  

All it takes is a little bit of effort.  Track makes it very very easy now.  Don't want to put forth the effort, then bow out of being in the poll group and add someone that cares enough to do some research.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ObserverW said:

Your statement makes no sense to me.  And you will never understand because your team is ranked (and deservedly so) but if your team was one of those who is slighted then you might take your head out of the hole its in and try to look around and see why.  I don't have a problem with the rankings themselves, I think rankings are good.  But the way they are done now is equivalent to someone doing an NFL ranking and year after year and always adding Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Carolina, and Dallas because those are the teams that "should" be winning--they have the most fans.  Where as, maybe one should do some research and list Kansas City and LA.  They don't have the coolest uniforms and the most fans and neither team will earn a legacy ranking but they deserve the recognition.  

All it takes is a little bit of effort.  Track makes it very very easy now.  Don't want to put forth the effort, then bow out of being in the poll group and add someone that cares enough to do some research.

whine whine whine whine.  i picture OW as a big crybaby that when he doesnt get his way he needs momma to still change his diaper, probably never even wrestled! 

 

Also this poll is done by the coaches ole smart one, maybe you should have a conversation with them that they are doing it wrong! I KNOW you must know more than almost all of them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Announcements



×
×
  • Create New...