Girls Wrestling program

cougars130

3 hours ago, CoachDFreeman said:

I only schedule the Ramsey Rumble after trying to find a local girls tournament in the area that weekend. I initially tried to go to the Hendersonville tournament months ago, but I was told the girls division had been moved, then canceled. Had they been doing the girls tournament on Saturday, I would have gladly sent my girls there instead of taking on hosting a tournament. I believe that if you should check with the people hosting tournaments and see what the situation is before you assume. 

Currently our girls program is thriving while our boys have been going through growing pains from youth, inexperience, and injuries. We do not have a separate coaching staff nor the funds to run separate teams, but we find a way to grow the girls team and give them every opportunity to wrestle that we can. We bring them with us everywhere and send them to different tournaments if necessary, even at the expense of taking a coach away from the boys. You do what you have to in order to keep the girls program moving and competitive just like we do the boys. 

Girls wrestling is a relatively new sport in Tennessee but it is growing. In our county in particular, almost every team has some girls and we are working as a group to help get coaches for the girls teams approved by the county. 

Please be patient and get all the facts before you start pointing fingers please.

Also what’s the deadline for your tournament as far as registering wrestlers for your tournament? 

3 hours ago, CoachDFreeman said:

I understand why they don't allow girls to wrestle boys. However I don't see why exhibition matches are not allowed. It allows the girls to get experience without counting against anybody's record.

Again, this would be until the sport grows to a point of consistency and stability. 

I understand boys not wanting to wrestle the girls, I wrestled 3 of them during my 4 years in school. I just wanted to get some match time in and truthfully cared less most of the time who was against me and that's how it should be now(especially JV wrestling). Girls should wrestle exhibition matches against the boys(especially to get mat time for JV boys) and allow them to get more matches compared to the small amount they get now days. I mean i looked at the regions last year there were 32 teams in the East with 84 girls total and West had 35 teams with 88 girls total. Its hard to get matches for them and not have to wrestle the same girls over and over if something else isn't done and the growth will be minimal if they continue having to wrestle the same people over and over again and it also hurts their growth in becoming a better wrestler. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, cougars130 said:

Also what’s the deadline for your tournament as far as registering wrestlers for your tournament? 

None taken. Just don’t want you to have the wrong idea about us running a tournament. It was literally just to provide an opportunity in the area. 

Our deadline is 11:59 am this Friday Jan 11th. 

1 hour ago, CoachDFreeman said:

None taken. Just don’t want you to have the wrong idea about us running a tournament. It was literally just to provide an opportunity in the area. 

It’s appreciated I know tournaments take a lot of help from wrestlers and parents and the school. I guess I’m just wanting better for the girls wrestling program since I have daughters and just want them to have the same opportunity to love the sport not spend every day practicing just to watch the boys wrestle on Tues and Thurs that’s all. Just was wanting to see what we as a state could do to help organize and come up with solid Girl Tournaments where teams want to put their females in the tournament. 

I completely understand. I hate not knowing if our girls are going to get to wrestle throughout the week. Like I mentioned before, they are seeing more success this season than our guys (mostly due to some key injuries this season with the boys), and I hate that they don't have as many opportunities. 

Again it's a growing sport and it'll take time. Rome wasn't built in a day. All we can do is keep providing opportunities and doing what we think is best for the program. Hopefully other coaches will catch on and follow suit. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/9/2019 at 11:34 PM, CoachDFreeman said:

The tournament on the girls side was ran very good hopefully next year more girls show up could turn into a very tough girls tournament if teams from Alabama can make the trip no reason for TN girls teams not make it out. 

On a a side note Grace really gets after it on the mat. she is going to make some noise. 

Thank you. It really just came up out of nowhere. I completely underestimated the amount of athletes that were going to participate. (A good problem to have I guess). 

I would love for it to become a premier Girls tournament and I would eventually consider making it a competitive bracketed tournament versus round robin  

I also honestly didn’t expect anywhere near the amount of guys and was not prepared to hand out medals for them as I was initially focused on girls when I set the whole thing up. I apologize for anyone who may have felt left out for that. If I could go back I would have ordered way more medals and handed them all out. They all did a fantastic job today and it broke my heart when I had to tell them I didn’t have any for them  

Yes Grace is a great young lady and she has a bright future. Her cousin Kortney has had a lot to do with her quick development and improvement from the middle school to high school level. Today wasn’t her best day but I’d rather have a bad day now than at regionals or state. 

• Upvote 1