Class AAA - Districts 1, 2, 3, 4 (Regions 1 and 2)

Red Rebels

17 hours ago, Red Rebels said:

Did you forget about Memphis East? I think East is the favorite then Whitehaven, then Bearden. Oak Ridge only lost to Whitehaven by four back in December. I think OR and Bearden both make it to state.

The following teams are still playing:

Whitehaven
Memphis East
Bartlett
Bolton

Brentwood
Franklin
Station Camp
Gallatin

East Hamilton
Cleveland

Bearden
Oak Ridge
Sevier County
Dobyns-Bennett

NOTE: Oakland vs Riverdale and Blackman vs. Siegel are playing tonight in elimination games. The winners play and then they get East Hamilton and Cleveland in Sectionals.

I hadn't forgot about Memphis East. When you have a James Wiseman on your team then you are capable of beating about any team in your Class(this case AAA). Whitehaven is good as well. However, I think Memphis East is going to beat them in the R8-AAA Championship Game with Wiseman going off & having a big game.

Let me go ahead & get a team from my neck of the woods out of the way. Dobyns-Bennett although a good team doesn't have enough talent to beat most teams that are still left. They might win their Sectional game & make it to the state tourney but I say they lose the 1st game in the opening round/quarterfinals. Sevier County I say the same for. They are going to lose their Sectional game in my opinion & not make it to the state tourney.  

There certainly are a bunch of teams capable of winning the AAA crown but I feel like the best 4-5 teams are Memphis East, Bearden, Whitehaven, & either Bartlett or Cleveland. Then again, there are so many teams with a lot of talent & capable of making the state tourney that we can't count out any of the teams you have listed above to be honest. I do think the teams less likely to win it all are Sevier County, Bolton, DB, Gallatin, & Station Camp.

15 hours ago, Swipes said:

Whitehaven did beat Memphis East by 5 the last time they played in the District Championship a couple weeks ago.  I think East and Whitehaven are the Favorites with Bearden being 3rd on that list

I can go with your Top 3 but I would have Bearden 2nd favorite behind Memphis East. That would have me placing Whitehaven 3rd favorite which seems weird because they might just be the best team of the 3. LOL! I will say whichever 8 teams make it to the state tourney are capable of winning it all unless one/some of the less likely teams I mentioned above were to somehow advance past the Sectionals & make it. I just don't see no way teams like Bolton, Sevier County, Blackman, or Gallatin could win 3 games against these other squads that make it.

Edited by tonybologna

On 2/27/2019 at 8:44 AM, SWVAHavokFan said:

I like how you think... but I don't think the same way.  Lol.

Sevier County is going to be a tough tough matchup in my opinion.  And the way they just dominated Science Hill was amazing to watch.  I was shocked Tennessee High played them to a 2 point game at their place after seeing them last night.  The DB and East game was one of the best high school basketball games I have ever had the privilege to watch.  Great atmosphere and just a classic high level game with a lot on the line.

Science Hill didn't get off the bus. They played no defense at all in the 1st half. SC hit about every shot and about every shot was wide open. DB and SC should be a really good game. Both point guards are very fast and team leaders. DB has a lock down defender in #22 and they have the height advantage in the post and the best post player in #42. DB prob wins a great game imo

Huge Win for Sevier Co. over DB..   Sevier Co. is very fortunate to have Coach Ken Wright.  He has been successful everywhere He has been.  In the Last 10 years at SCHS... Coach Wright has had 8 20 win seasons with 5 District Tournament Championships....been to the region 10 years in a row.  1 region runner up and 1 region championship...2 substate appearances with  ONE player who went on to play college basketball...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KnoxBball1969 said:

East and Whitehaven can’t end up on the same side. So Bearden will be on the same side as one just like last year.

Yeah, you're right, But now it's likely that either ME or Whitehaven will be in the championship game and Bearden will have to play and beat both of them to win it all, right? They'd have to play one on their side of the bracket to get the championship game and the other likely in the championship game.  Assuming (likely) all three make it through this next game.

Edited by Chinadog
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, lefty32 said:

Huge Win for Sevier Co. over DB..   Sevier Co. is very fortunate to have Coach Ken Wright.  He has been successful everywhere He has been.  In the Last 10 years at SCHS... Coach Wright has had 8 20 win seasons with 5 District Tournament Championships....been to the region 10 years in a row.  1 region runner up and 1 region championship...2 substate appearances with  ONE player who went on to play college basketball...

I was really surprised that Sevier County beat DB. I didn't expect that to happen at all. I think DB took them lightly but you can't do that this time of the season period. Sevier County is a lot better team than what I seen play back in late December of this season. DB really screwed themselves over. Now, they have to go on the road to face Bearden.

They are done now! No state tourney appearance for them. Bearden will put it on them pretty good in my opinion. I don't even think DB can keep Bearden from winning by anything less than 12-18 points. The only chance DB has is for Marae Moreman & Charlie Browder both go off & score 25+ points each. DB is & has been a solid defensive team all season long but they are meeting an offensive juggernaut in Bearden on their home floor. Ouch!   

2 hours ago, dirtydawg15 said:

Don't forget about Bartlett. They are #1 ranked team in the state. Whitehaven plays @ Bartlett on Monday. If Bartlett and East both qualify for state, they can be on the same side of the draw.

Yeah. I think Bartlett just might beat Whitehaven. Whitehaven got it put on them pretty good by Memphis East in the R-8AAA Championship game. That's after Whitehaven beat them by 5 points back a couple of weeks ago.

I'm picking Bartlett in this one. I did state Whitevaen as one of the favorites to win the state but they needed to have favorable matchups & this one isn't favorable to them. I also said Bartlett could contend for the state title but wasn't one of my Top 3 favorites. Class AAA is loaded with teams that could win the state title. I wouldn't be surprised if any of the teams left were to win it all to be honest. 

However, I do think there are 5-6 teams that are much less likely to win it all of the 16 teams left. Those teams to me are Station Camp, Blackman, DB, Sevier County, Bolton, & Gallatin in no particular order. The remaining 10 teams really are capable of winning it all especially if they find themselves on the better side of the state tourney bracket.

Edited by tonybologna

Here are the matchups for the Sectionals in Class AAA:

Oak Ridge at Sevier Co.

Dobyns-Bennett at Bearden

Blackman at Cleveland

East Hamilton at Oakland

Brentwood at Station Camp

Gallatin at Franklin

Whitehaven at Bartlett

Bolton at Memphis East

I've got:

Oak Ridge

Bearden (BIG)

Cleveland

Oakland

Brentwood

Franklin (BIG)

Bartlett

Memphis East (BIG)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, STILLNUM1 said:

Can anybody give me some info on Sevier Co?Do they have size and their style of play?This Oak Ridge team is for sure not as good as past 5 or so years but they do play hard.A trip to the Boro would be great for this team.Should be a fun packed out game.RWR

All I could find were several 1 minute highlights of their games at

www.hudl.com/team/v2/356015/Boys-Varsity-Basketball

One thing to keep in mind is that Sevier County is playing out of their minds right now. They found that magic in a bottle that makes an average team become a special team at just the right moment ( Tournament time).

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 1:34 AM, tonybologna said:

Here are the matchups for the Sectionals in Class AAA:

Oak Ridge at Sevier Co.

Dobyns-Bennett at Bearden

Blackman at Cleveland

East Hamilton at Oakland

Brentwood at Station Camp

Gallatin at Franklin

Whitehaven at Bartlett

Bolton at Memphis East

I've got: