Trousdale County Coaching Search 2019

BCB~MVP

5 minutes ago, Purplegoldfootball said:

Can't blame the journalist for printing it. I'm sure TC fans like seeing the possible choices and will begin their speculation.  I, as a TC fan, just want the best hire for the boys and the program. Tradition runs deep. Want it to continue. 

I understand TC fans like knowing who the choices are, but again putting people’s livelihoods on the line so the fans stay informed is ridiculous IMO.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, H2Oman said:

I understand TC fans like knowing who the choices are, but again putting people’s livelihoods on the line so the fans stay informed is ridiculous IMO.

I agree that some careers could easily be jeopardized. Not fair to those who thought this was private information. Really hope none of these candidates suffer any repercussions

I like everyone else am totally surprised that the list was made public. I knew of Dyer, Hackett, Vetetoe, Pierson, and Carey. It no doubt is an interesting list. Several of the names I am not familiar with. I hope and pray that the right person is put in place. I would hope that that person would be here for awhile. Now the waiting game. 

• Like 1

This is unusual circumstances because Dr. Satterfield has a son in the mix for the job. In my opinion, Blake is a strong candidate for this job for many reasons. I believe the list went public because it allows people see who all was interested and who was possibly the best fit. It would be a good defense against all those in the community who might cry foul if and when Blake is hired. This is my humble opinion and could very well be wrong. I also have my opinion about the Vidette, but that is a whole different conversation 

Edited by vufan61

7 hours ago, BCB~MVP said:

King, the last 2 hires have been outsiders, way outsiders. Nobody from TC had heard of either prior to being named. Sadly the community didnt support either guy the way they should have. Thats not to say that if the next HC is an outsider, then they will not support them either. I think it totally depends on the person and their track record. But my mind tells me that the administration is looking to get back to tradition and the best way to do that is to keep this hire inside the family. Will i be upset if thats not the case? Nope. I think that they will pick the right person for the job and I will support the hire regardless. But I can't speak for others. I have read the same post you have and its obvious that some TC folks don't feel the same. 

Honestly though, we wont know if its a good hire until the season is in full swing and even then, we may not know for sure.

TC History Lesson: Many moons ago, a coach lead the Jackets to a 7-3 season in his first year. His 2nd year, he went 3-7. In Fact, his first 7 seasons as coach, the Jackets were 34-33-2. Thats below .500 win %. That coach ended up being the measuring stick of success in TC. He ended his HC career with a record of 222-86-4 including 1 State Title and 3 Runner-Ups, in 29 seasons. That was HOFer Jim B. Then following him, the Dr.'s first 4 season the Jackets managed a 21-19 record and failed to reach the playoffs each of those seasons. He had a decent stint as well amassing a 238-61 record with 5 Titles, in 24 seasons,  including 20 trips to the playoffs, a record that is still continuing to this day! 

So all that to say, its not where you start, its where you finish. If TC faithful will support the coaches and this hire regardless of what their name is and let them do their jobs, TC has proven that the talent is there and everything will work out exactly how the good lord will have it! 

Jim B was assistant coach until 1962 when he became the head coach. His first season record was 9-2, in 1963, his team went 11-0, In 1964, his record was 9-0-2, In 1965 his team went undefeated in the regular season (10-0) and lost to Glencliff in the Tobacco Bowl 14-6 to end the season with a 10-1 record. From 63 to 65 his teams went 32 games with a loss (2 ties). Too bad we didn't have classifications and championships during his first several years as head coach. We only had bowl games back then.

16 minutes ago, oldfootballplayer said:

Jim B was assistant coach until 1962 when he became the head coach. His first season record was 9-2, in 1963, his team went 11-0, In 1964, his record was 9-0-2, In 1965 his team went undefeated in the regular season (10-0) and lost to Glencliff in the Tobacco Bowl 14-6 to end the season with a 10-1 record. From 63 to 65 his teams went 32 games with a loss (2 ties). Too bad we didn't have classifications and championships during his first several years as head coach. We only had bowl games back then.

@oldfootballplayer Who was the coach from '55-'61? The information i had gathered said Jim B. was. I have Billy Matthews as HC in '54. If you have game scores and opponents, i'd love to know more. I have a spreadsheet that I'm building that contains all this information. I have complete season records back to '49 but no detail of opponents except for '63 (you provided that detail in another thread for me :thumb:).

If any other TC faithful have information as well on season opponents, All State Players or HC names prior to Jim B., let me know. 

I know that the '44 team was lead by Sloan Jobe, C.V. Baker was HC in '35, Eugene McIlwain in '31, Bill White in '22, & Rudy Blair in '20 & '21.

TC Football goes all the way back to 1909 and I'm trying to compile all the history into one location in hopes of sharing it with the public at some point. May have to pull a couple of strings and get it added to the schools website. 

12 minutes ago, BCB~MVP said:

@oldfootballplayer Who was the coach from '55-'61? The information i had gathered said Jim B. was. I have Billy Matthews as HC in '54. If you have game scores and opponents, i'd love to know more. I have a spreadsheet that I'm building that contains all this information. I have complete season records back to '49 but no detail of opponents except for '63 (you provided that detail in another thread for me :thumb:).

If any other TC faithful have information as well on season opponents, All State Players or HC names prior to Jim B., let me know. 

I know that the '44 team was lead by Sloan Jobe, C.V. Baker was HC in '35, Eugene McIlwain in '31, Bill White in '22, & Rudy Blair in '20 & '21.

TC Football goes all the way back to 1909 and I'm trying to compile all the history into one location in hopes of sharing it with the public at some point. May have to pull a couple of strings and get it added to the schools website. 

You have a massive undertaking my friend.  

To me, it's just professional courtesy to keep the applicant list out of the public, and to allow the new coach to handle publicizing the hire. It's not just where you go to, it's where you leave from as well, and just about any good coach would want the news to break to their current team eye to eye, and from the horses mouth. Not blaming anyone (least of all the paper... that's what they do), but it's a shame that all those kids who have relationships with their coaches are now playing the waiting game to see if their guy is abandoning them. Not the end of the world, but it could have been avoided.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, BCB~MVP said:

Coach Edgar Settlers was head coach and Jim B was his assistant coach my freshman and sophomore years (60, 5-5 record and 61, 5-4-1 record). I don’t know how many years Settlers was head coach before that. Settlers was terminated as head coach in 62 and that is when Jim B took over. 

I had a typo in my post - Should have said 32 games WITHOUT a loss from 63 to 65.

As for Clint’s record, our information is very close. When I wrote the song, “When a Team Comes to the Creekbank”, I included several Yellow Jacket statistics in the song. Jerry Richmond, who gave me several stats said Clint won 239 games in 24 seasons and that is what I put in the song.

1 hour ago, tradertwo said:

To me, it's just professional courtesy to keep the applicant list out of the public, and to allow the new coach to handle publicizing the hire. It's not just where you go to, it's where you leave from as well, and just about any good coach would want the news to break to their current team eye to eye, and from the horses mouth. Not blaming anyone (least of all the paper... that's what they do), but it's a shame that all those kids who have relationships with their coaches are now playing the waiting game to see if their guy is abandoning them. Not the end of the world, but it could have been avoided.

Imagine trying to get your kids to buy into your commitment speech after it was publicly listed that you tried to jump ships to your region rival!!

I get it as an adult, but I’m not sure his players will!!  

2 hours ago, vufan61 said:

This is unusual circumstances because Dr. Satterfield has a son in the mix for the job. In my opinion, Blake is a strong candidate for this job for many reasons. I believe the list went public because it allows people see who all was interested and who was possibly the best fit. It would be a good defense against all those in the community who might cry foul if and when Blake is hired. This is my humble opinion and could very well be wrong. I also have my opinion about the Vidette, but that is a whole different conversation 

This probably could of been accomplished in a  more professional way if that indeed was the ideal. I don’t think that was the plan at all!

I would hope  that coach Clint really isn’t concerned about what ever his naysayers say. You cannot be a successful as he has been worrying about criticism! 

I simply think this was a mistake that was leaked by someone he trusted  or at least I hope that is the case!

Edited by H2Oman