Playoff crowds

Indian

9 minutes ago, TheAmbassador said:

LMBO.. 4 classes? So that means schools with 200 students competing against schools 4 times their size? 1A teams typically have 30-40 kids. Schools with 800-1000 students have 80-100 kids. That would suck!

In a DI 3 class format the enrollment numbers would cover a range of about (low)160 -  (high) 560. 

Folks I know that many of you don't want to recognize it or simply are not informed but the TSSAA is not in good financial condition.  With the 2017 football playoff numbers down from 2016 and the 2018 attendance numbers down 19% from 2017 it is not a pretty picture.  If the organization is ever going to get back on solid footing they must take drastic measures.  Like I have said before they should really consider doing the following:

Class A  Small public schools and no private schools

Class AA Public schools and small private schools that do not offer any financial aid

Class AAA Public schools and small private schools that offer financial aid

Class AAAA Large public schools and large private schools that offer financial aid

Return to a District format with only the top 2 teams in each district advancing to the state playoffs.  As it is now you only have about 50-55 teams in each division for football.  Is that what people really want to achieve is to be the best team of 55 schools.  At that rate if you are ranked number 6-10 in the state you are not even in the top 10% of your division.  All teams that have a winning record that do not qualify for the state playoffs may play in a bowl game.  All bowl games must be played the week after the regular season concludes.

Two of the state championship games would be hosted in the East and two would be hosted in the West.  The games would be played at the home field of the school participating.  If the East hosted the Class A & AAA in 2018 they would host Class AA & AAAA in 2019.  The TSSAA would receive 50% of the gate, the home team would receive 25% of the gate, 100% of the concessions and 100% of the parking and the visiting team would receive 25% of the gate.  Yes it would be crowded and people would be everywhere but that would create a great atmosphere for high school athletics.  

When a business is in trouble they must cut all expenses to the bone or they will not survive.  If the TSSAA waits to long to make changes they may be down for the count and not able to recover.  

Edited by cbg
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Southtowner said:

In a DI 3 class format the enrollment numbers would cover a range of about (low)160 -  (high) 560. 

Yeah. If Bass thinks 1A teams in a 4 class system would include teams up to 800-1000 in enrollment he is drastically overestimating. Most likely would go to the top of the current 2A which is in the upper 500’s. I think 1A Too teams this year could have competed very well with 2A top teams this year. No one cries about enrollment numbers in basketball for 3 classes and more teams play basketball than football. 

3 hours ago, cbg said:

Folks I know that many of you don't want to recognize it or simply are not informed but the TSSAA is not in good financial condition.  With the 2017 football playoff numbers down from 2016 and the 2018 attendance numbers down 19% from 2017 it is not a pretty picture.  If the organization is ever going to get back on solid footing they must take drastic measures.  Like I have said before they should really consider doing the following:

Class A  Small public schools and no private schools

Class AA Public schools and small private schools that do not offer any financial aid

Class AAA Public schools and small private schools that offer financial aid

Class AAAA Large public schools and large private schools that offer financial aid

Return to a District format with only the top 2 teams in each district advancing to the state playoffs.  As it is now you only have about 50-55 teams in each division for football.  Is that what people really want to achieve is to be the best team of 55 schools.  At that rate if you are ranked number 6-10 in the state you are not even in the top 10% of your division.  All teams that have a winning record that do not qualify for the state playoffs may play in a bowl game.  All bowl games must be played the week after the regular season concludes.

Two of the state championship games would be hosted in the East and two would be hosted in the West.  The games would be played at the home field of the school participating.  If the East hosted the Class A & AAA in 2018 they would host Class AA & AAAA in 2019.  The TSSAA would receive 50% of the gate, the home team would receive 25% of the gate, 100% of the concessions and 100% of the parking and the visiting team would receive 25% of the gate.  Yes it would be crowded and people would be everywhere but that would create a great atmosphere for high school athletics.  

When a business is in trouble they must cut all expenses to the bone or they will not survive.  If the TSSAA waits to long to make changes they may be down for the count and not able to recover.  

You have to curb the financial aid for that to happen.  If I can cherry pick 40 guys on financial aid every year vs what you have to pick from, it is not even remotely fair.  This will never happen.  

59 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

You have to curb the financial aid for that to happen.  If I can cherry pick 40 guys on financial aid every year vs what you have to pick from, it is not even remotely fair.  This will never happen.  

The financial aid was curbed when the split took place and the cry babies still wanted a split.  My recommendations will never take place but as a public school kid I will tell you that the message that is being sent is that we are not good enough to compete.  I never ever felt that private school kids were ever smarter or better athletes than me and resent the message being sent.  Stop being soft and figure out a way to compete.  The public school kids have to compete for academic awards, college admissions and jobs when they graduate so why not compete on the athletic field?

Edited by cbg

2 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Yeah. If Bass thinks 1A teams in a 4 class system would include teams up to 800-1000 in enrollment he is drastically overestimating. Most likely would go to the top of the current 2A which is in the upper 500’s. I think 1A Too teams this year could have competed very well with 2A top teams this year. No one cries about enrollment numbers in basketball for 3 classes and more teams play basketball than football. 

I believe it would be fair if they had the same number of classes for those sports as they do football. I don’t think other states have different class amounts for different sports. 

1 hour ago, cbg said:

The financial aid was curbed when the split took place and the cry babies still wanted a split.  My recommendations will never take place but as a public school kid I will tell you that the message that is being sent is that we are not good enough to compete.  I never ever felt that private school kids were ever smarter or better athletes than me and resent the message being sent.  Stop being soft and figure out a way to compete.  The public school kids have to compete for academic awards, college admissions and jobs when they graduate so why not compete on the athletic field?

2015 NCS team compete with that!

Edited by orngnblk

1 hour ago, TheAmbassador said:

I believe it would be fair if they had the same number of classes for those sports as they do football. I don’t think other states have different class amounts for different sports. 

I agree they should have the same number of classes for all sports. Let’s have 3 for football just like they do the other sports. That would be fair. 

3 hours ago, cbg said:

It is such a sided disadvantage that is why most of the non financial aid giving schools went with the privates a year ago. Now they can all give financial aid and compete against themselves.  How about let’s bring them all back and no more financial aid and work aid and just play with what you have versus picking and choosing.   How about that?  I was a public school kid too and grew up in Gallatin’s hey days.  Back then it was Brentwood Aca saying they could not compete against the larger schools and just beat on the Waverly’s, Portland’s, etc.  Now they can give 40+ financial aid packages to the elite kids 2 counties away and provide transportation.  I have already heard from the private crowd, no way they give up the advantage for a level playing field.  Sorry not interested.  

It’s simple. Three classifications in private school is an example of this. You can’t have a team from West Tennessee play a team from East Tennessee, you can’t a team from Memphis play against Clarksville Academy. The smaller private school league has to be the lowest of the whole classifications. Also, you have 4A Region 5 and 6 marching up. That’s 2 hour drive for each game. Hardin County played Montgomery Central I believe. North Side played Portland. A winless Memphis East team played Dyersburg. Yes, attendance numbers are going to be down. It’s not a good product when the running clock is in effect in November, and we are seeing that more often. Nobody is going to spend their money on a bad concert, a bad movie, and a bad team. But seeing this article is a pretty site to see, because we all know the TSSAA cares about the money. So they’re crying because they’re losing money, karma came out to bite them, and they have to do something. 

• Upvote 1