Playoff crowds

Indian

1 hour ago, jimmycrackedthatcorn said:

What is the comparison of number of football teams to basketball teams throughout the state?

Probably twice as many basketball teams......

all ya need as a gym , shoes, a ball and uniform.....

Each football player requires about 500 dollars in equipment..........That’s just starting...

3 minutes ago, ImaSavage said:

Correlates to a dying sport.....

I can’t tell you how many guys I played college ball with won’t let their kids play because of CTE.....   but that’s just one of many reasons it’s dying....

Some folks would never agree with this.

There's a reason in football for more classes. One of them and the most important is the injuries that can be obtain through the course of going up against a platoon of players. 

It's not about being soft. It is now reality.

We use to not buckle our seatbelts but now we do.

We rode down the streets, roads, highways in the back of a pickup truck. Even the interstate. You see someone riding down the highway in the back of a pickup truck today,  first thing out of your mouth is Idiots. :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ImaSavage said:

Correlates to a dying sport.....

I can’t tell you how many guys I played college ball with won’t let their kids play because of CTE.....   but that’s just one of many reasons it’s dying....

Correlation is not anywhere near as statistically strong as a regression.  You can correlate the price of tea in China with Whiwuhl winning the gold ball, but regression analysis will show no statistical relationship. 

Some areas still have good crowds. The school here had the highest numbers in 2016 3A playoffs in each of the first four rounds (all at home), even with Howard not bringing a lot in the first round. As mentioned more than once, Red Bank's home crowd was awful in 2017 and 2018. Lots of the changes have to do with school enrollment shifts more than likely, as much or more than lack of interest in the sport by a community. 

If it keeps going this way, I'm guessing there will be a compression to five classes in football. The more classes, the more money spent even with more playoff games. If they really wanted to try something different and increase crowds, let everyone schedule whoever they wanted regardless of enrollment or private school, and have the teams winning at least 5 games go to the playoffs. Classify them into five groups, and 2 private school groups, by enrollment of the ones that won 5 games or more. 

One other not so radical solution to keep games more competitive, go back to 2 year class periods.  Something more unusual, go to 1 year schedules and 1 year class periods. Each team would have 5 games at home, required, but it would allow more fluid scheduling on competitive matchups. 

47 minutes ago, Indian said:

Some areas still have good crowds. The school here had the highest numbers in 2016 3A playoffs in each of the first four rounds (all at home), even with Howard not bringing a lot in the first round. As mentioned more than once, Red Bank's home crowd was awful in 2017 and 2018. Lots of the changes have to do with school enrollment shifts more than likely, as much or more than lack of interest in the sport by a community. 

If it keeps going this way, I'm guessing there will be a compression to five classes in football. The more classes, the more money spent even with more playoff games. If they really wanted to try something different and increase crowds, let everyone schedule whoever they wanted regardless of enrollment or private school, and have the teams winning at least 5 games go to the playoffs. Classify them into five groups, and 2 private school groups, by enrollment of the ones that won 5 games or more. 

One other not so radical solution to keep games more competitive, go back to 2 year class periods.  Something more unusual, go to 1 year schedules and 1 year class periods. Each team would have 5 games at home, required, but it would allow more fluid scheduling on competitive matchups. 

I completely agree with the 2 year cycle deal.  That keeps teams from having to play in a class too big or too small for a couple of years.  Ex:  Gallatin is going to play a 5A schedule with 6A enrollment for the next 2 years.  McMinn County has to play a 6A schedule with 5A enrollment the next 2 years.  That is just a couple of the many examples that are going to be played out the next 2 years.  Reclassify every 2 years and this problem does not exist.    

• Upvote 1

There's not many real fan's out there anymore that really back there teams. I know we at SP are spoiled and if it's not going to be a good game we just don't have the crowd we should.  The playoff's where the tickets go up and playing a 1-9 team or 2-8 team in  the first round really put a squeeze on crowds. I'm sure we are not alone and alot of school's experience the same thing as we do.  But, as for me and my family we support our team no matter who we play. 

1 hour ago, sportman said:

There's not many real fan's out there anymore that really back there teams. I know we at SP are spoiled and if it's not going to be a good game we just don't have the crowd we should.  The playoff's where the tickets go up and playing a 1-9 team or 2-8 team in  the first round really put a squeeze on crowds. I'm sure we are not alone and alot of school's experience the same thing as we do.  But, as for me and my family we support our team no matter who we play. 

We at GB have been fortunate our folks show up every Fri.May change this year but so far so good!

Just think tho we have had two years of first round forfeits im sure thst hasnt help Mr C's numbers either.Should have let a wildcard in.JMO!

Edited by orngnblk

15 hours ago, orngnblk said:

We at GB have been fortunate our folks show up every Fri.May change this year but so far so good!

Just think tho we have had two years of first round forfeits im sure thst hasnt help Mr C's numbers either.Should have let a wildcard in.JMO!

True, Greenback has a good fan base but they have had some real good teams which helps.