Eagleville Football

RocketHouse

Rutherford County projects Eagleville will lose close to 40% of their student body when Rockvale High School opens next year. How does that translate to the football team?

Also, TSSAA denied their request to drop to Class A in football based on these projections so they will be forced to play AA ball for two seasons with A enrollment. However, the TSSAA bumped Rockvale up to 6A based on the same projections.

Also, Rutherford County will have their new $71 million plus school busting at the seams when it opens. (only 260 spaces below its capacity).

https://www.dnj.com/story/news/2019/01/07/rockvale-hs-grandfather-proposal-offers-choices-eligible-students/2509078002/

Eagleville will likely lose some kids to Rockvale but not enough for the TSSAA to move them to 1A. I know Eagleville tried very hard to get TSSAA to move them so that they would be playing 1A football with 2A numbers. 

Rockvale will more than likely have 6A numbers. It's a new school with great facilities and now a great football coach. Who would not want to go there. 

35 minutes ago, workinprogress said:

Eagleville will likely lose some kids to Rockvale but not enough for the TSSAA to move them to 1A. I know Eagleville tried very hard to get TSSAA to move them so that they would be playing 1A football with 2A numbers. 

Rockvale will more than likely have 6A numbers. It's a new school with great facilities and now a great football coach. Who would not want to go there. 

So are you saying the projections are inaccurate?  If I thought there were only going to be 247 kids in my high school I would want to be in 1A as well. Seems very logical to me. 

Yes I'm saying projections are inaccurate. You will have some kids wanting to go to Rockvale because it's a new school. You will have some wanting to go because of the admin or coaches or whatever. And then you will have some kids grandfathered in and stay where they are. It is what it is. I am sure Eagleville pushed the 1A enrollment and at the same time went to each athlete and tried convincing to stay. 

5 hours ago, workinprogress said:

Yes I'm saying projections are inaccurate. You will have some kids wanting to go to Rockvale because it's a new school. You will have some wanting to go because of the admin or coaches or whatever. And then you will have some kids grandfathered in and stay where they are. It is what it is. I am sure Eagleville pushed the 1A enrollment and at the same time went to each athlete and tried convincing to stay. 

I concede that you know a ton more about middle tn football than myself. So you are probably correct. However in looking at the article it appears that the projections are coming from upper administration on the district level. I could see if it came from the school level but why would district level admin want to fudge projections just to get Eagleville in 1A for football classification purposes??  Don’t make sense. 

No no I don't think anyone is fudging numbers or even trying to. I just don't think anyone really knows the numbers until they happen. I think when Rockvale opens they actually will have high 5A numbers or low 6A numbers. I think at the same time Eagleville will still have either high 1A numbers or low 2A numbers. In both cases the area is growing and so I think both were placed where they needed to be. 

If I were Rockvale I would have enjoyed playing 5A at the start and transitioning to 6A. Would have been a very good region. If I am Eagleville I would have pushed 1A and tried to get a bit of an advantage. 

Just my opinions. I don't have any inside knowledge of either. If my kids were old enough I would love them to play for Rice.

I just don't see us loosing as many students as projected. The reason I say that is I think more students than they realize will ask for a zone waiver to stay at Eagleville. There should be plenty of space, so I would think most, if not all, will probably be granted. Luckily my son is a rising senior, so he can be grandfathered. He absolutely wants to stay at Eagleville even though we only live about 2 miles from the new school. As for how it effects football numbers, I don't have a clue. We dressed about 47-48 this past year, and 18 were seniors, so that puts it at about 30 assuming all current Freshman, Sophomores, and Juniors come back to play next year. How many actually will is anybody's guess. Central Magnet students also play for Eagleville  so who knows how many we'll get from there. There's just so many factors that there's just no way to know for sure, but my gut tells me enrollment will be about 300 and we'll dress about 35-40.

7 hours ago, workinprogress said:

No no I don't think anyone is fudging numbers or even trying to. I just don't think anyone really knows the numbers until they happen. I think when Rockvale opens they actually will have high 5A numbers or low 6A numbers. I think at the same time Eagleville will still have either high 1A numbers or low 2A numbers. In both cases the area is growing and so I think both were placed where they needed to be. 

If I were Rockvale I would have enjoyed playing 5A at the start and transitioning to 6A. Would have been a very good region. If I am Eagleville I would have pushed 1A and tried to get a bit of an advantage. 

Just my opinions. I don't have any inside knowledge of either. If my kids were old enough I would love them to play for Rice.

Gotcha. 

10 hours ago, workinprogress said:

From what I read, other than LaVergne having a very high Free & reduced lunch number, all the other Rutherford County schools are about even.  That means those families are more than likely going to put their kids on the yellow bus and go to the school for which they are zoned.  The BOE of Rutherford County knows this.  With that said, given a few students here and there, the numbers are about as close to correct as you can get.  Eagleville will definitely be playing 2A ball with 1A numbers.  I think Eagleville has a legitimate argument and case for being in 1A.  Not sure TSSAA conferred with Rutherford County officials on this matter.  They probably just went with the numbers that were turned in recently.......before the County rezoning numbers were made public. 

It is all a moot point. Eagleville is an established school. In order for them to have gone down to 1A they would have had to lose 20% or more of their student body as of the board meeting. They did not and so they were placed where they are supposed to be placed by rule. 

If I am correct the 1A numbers are 0-375. If Eagleville loses about thirty kids they would have 1A numbers. Not sure if that will happen or not. Either way they are where they are supposed to be.

Rockvale is different because it is not an established school. The TSSAA used their projected numbers to place them.