Science Hill makes a mockery of our sport

WWarrior97

Tonight I witnessed one of the worst displays of sportsmanship that I have EVER seen by coaches in this area.  Science Hill coaches decide to forfeit all but one match in their dual against Dobyns Bennett.  I don't know the back story but it appears Science Hill was attempting to make some sort of statement based on a grudge they apparently have against Dobyns Bennett.  I hope athletic directors get involved and make a statement here--will the SH AD allow his coaches to use his kids as pawns in a childish argument?   I feel like someone owes me my $5 admission fee back.

Did this count towards the district dual championship? If so this could have been done to actually help DB make it to state team duals by allowing them to wrestle the two seed from the other district...  Presumably Mo West while science hill would take on the probable champion in Jeff County. This could mean that the beef is between science hill and Jeff county,  and not DB.

I don't know what their beef is about or who it is with but from the actions tonight, there is certainly some bad blood against DB.  I'm not even sure they shook hands at the end.  It appears the Science Hill wrestlers were told to head outside immediately after the one match wrestled.  I can't believe a coach would forfeit out the whole match and not give his wrestlers the opportunity to win.  Looks like he pretty much told them they can't win so hes going to take care of it for them.  Maybe the coach had plans and needed to get back home quickly.

No place for this in high school sports. Officials are quick to suspend parents for this kind of behavior,maybe a suspension from state duals would send a message there is no place for this in high school wrestling. Parents spend too much time and money on this sport for that kinda stuff. Definitely looks like someone would look into this with some kinda consequences.

Kingsport paper reads a lot of kids from Science Hill were sick with flu. It also says Science Hill asked to reschedule the dual only to be denied. My question is why wasn’t the dual rescheduled? Why would a coach want a team full of sick kids coming to their place, therefore spreading the virus? And what small memories we have. Didn’t DB do something very similar at region duals last year, with healthy kids? I guess pride is more important than kids health and well being. 

http://www.timesnews.net/Sports/2019/01/15/Science-Hill-forfeits-13-of-14-matches-in-bizarre-duel-meet-with-D-B

I would say that D-B did not move the match because a few years ago at Science Hills request a rule was added concerning district/regional duals that said:  All scheduled district/regional duals must be wrestled on the date they are scheduled unless inclement weather causes the school's principal to cancel the match.

1 hour ago, Norseman said:

Didn’t DB do something very similar at region duals last year, with healthy kids? I guess pride is more important than kids health and well being. 

You hit the nail on the head.  Its all about the pride of the Science Hill coach.  I believe this was his way of saying we didn't really lose, we let you win.  

Science Hill has 33 wrestlers on their roster on Track.  It appears there are about 6 of those who are no longer active, leaving 27.  SH wrestled 13 at their tournament on Saturday.  Assuming all 13 who wrestled on Saturday are affected by this illness, that leaves 14 to work with.  I am told there were about 8 total wrestlers with SH.  So this begs the question, did the SH coach forfeit all the matches due to illness or did he forfeit because he wanted make a point or lose on his own terms.  Either way, I don't think the argument that the "entire" team is sick holds any water.  

On 1/28/2018 at 11:09 AM, WWarrior97 said:

You have no idea what the DB coaching staff had in mind at Region Duals, but to imply they were only wrestling the matches they could win is a childish stab. I've watched as your coaching staff has moved kids around in the lineup to create the best advantage for your team, so why do you feel the need to throw barbs at other coaches for doing what they feel is best for their team. There were quite a few changes to your lineup as well. Many that were probably unnecessary to win the match but no one is berating you for trying to run up the score. I applaud the DB coaches for having enough class and maturity to overlook your jabs, immaturity, and ignore your post. I know the DB coaching staff is "new," but you might want to pay attention, there are some things you can learn from them.

Funny how one team can forfeit out matches after realizing they can’t win a dual, but another team does so for the well being of their kids health and it’s an issue. It doesn’t matter if there were 5 or 50 kids on the team. All were exposed to flu! Why on God’s green earth would you want to expose more kids at this time of year? It’s not like moving the dual to next week would affect anything. Sounds like someone was trying to cash in on one team’s misfortune and it backfired.