Best A/AA/AAA in West Tennessee

DCFAN1

i agree with the 3. Manassas should roll, as they have done all year. Woodale and Mitchell will be tight but the Lawson clan will be the difference. And East is without Malcolm and possibly Merriwether. Wiseman will have 30 and 15 but if Matthew is aggressive from the start attacking the rim, he could get wiseman in foul trouble early.

33 minutes ago, TonyG said:

i agree with the 3. Manassas should roll, as they have done all year. Woodale and Mitchell will be tight but the Lawson clan will be the difference. And East is without Malcolm and possibly Merriwether. Wiseman will have 30 and 15 but if Matthew is aggressive from the start attacking the rim, he could get wiseman in foul trouble early.

Which game will you attend? AAA?

18 hours ago, kwc said:

Now ... That's a buzzer beater! Matt Murrell!

That sure was a buzzer beater & from DEEP too.

14 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

I do not understand this at all. Why have a guy guarding the inbound passer? How did they let Murrell catch it so clean and get a good look?

I see what you're saying but that shot was taken from way beyond NBA 3-pt. range too.

11 hours ago, kwc said:

Region 8 finals are this Thursday night. The games are as follows:

Single A:

Manassas (29-3) vs MAHS (19-8) at Westwood

Double A:

Wooddale (27-4) vs Mitchell (15-8) at Ripley

Triple A:

East (21-8) vs Whitehaven (23-6) at Collierville

Region 8 final runner-up goes to the Region 7 finals winner's place on Monday, March 4, 2019. Region 8 finals winners will host the Region 7 finals runner-up.

Who are you rolling with? I've got Manassas, Wooddale, and Whitehaven.

I'm going with Manassas, Wooddale, & finally Memphis East pulling off a slight upset over Whitehaven. I think James Wiseman is going to go off & lead his team to the victory. 

16 hours ago, kwc said:

Yeah, it's going to packed like Sardines in that gym. So, if you are Bartlett ... Who do you want to host on Monday?

May sound crazy but if I’m Bartlett, I’m rooting for Whitehaven tonight. East lacks guard play and no longer have twin towers, so let Wiseman get his and clamp down on anyone else. Houston was just not up to it. Guard play wasn’t solid at all. I'm really curious if Southwind lost to avoid East because I don’t see how they lost to Houston. I know games happen but dang. Maybe it was southwind's night Tuesday.

But back to my original statement, Bartlett has stronger guard play than East and it will be the best advantage to have.

And for selfish reasons i hope this is the matchup also for myself to have a chance of seeing Bartlett Whitehaven in the final bc I'll be out of the country and miss the sub state games lol.

Memphis basketball signee Malcolm Dandridge of East done for season after injury

Khari Thompson, Memphis Commercial AppealPublished 12:44 p.m. CT Feb. 27, 2019 | Updated 1:02 p.m. CT Feb. 27, 2019

COLLIERVILLE — East is attempting to win a fourth straight Class AAA boys basketball championship, but the Mustangs will have to do it without 6-9  Memphis signee Malcolm Dandridge.

Dandridge did not play in East's 59-44 win over Houston in Tuesday's Region 8-AAA semifinals, and said he will be out for the remainder of season with a knee injury. 

"Yeah, I’m out for the season and I’m going to regroup for next year," said Dandridge. "The doctor thought it wise for me to be done with high school basketball so I just took that info and accepted it." 

Dandridge thinks that he has a tear in his meniscus but is waiting on his MRI results to be sure. 

East Memphis Mustangs forward, Malcolm Dandridge (35) watches from the bench during the second half of the basketball game, Thursday, Dec. 13, 2018.

East also has 7-footer James Wiseman, a Memphis signee who is the No. 1 player in the Class of 2019, according to the 247Sports Composite.

The Mustangs will play Whitehaven for the fourth time this season in the region championship at 7 p.m. Thursday at Collierville. Dandridge was the X factor in East's two wins over Whitehaven, averaging 18.5 points and 14.5 rebounds in the contests.

But the last time the teams played, in the district championship, Dandridge had just two points in a 60-55 loss. Dandridge says he was hurt in that game. 

"You can’t substitute one guy for Malcolm. You’ve got to do it by committee," said East coach Jevonte Holmes. "It’s going to be Tadarius (Jacobs), its going to be Nautica (Harwell), its going to be Kylan (Haywood) ... it's going to be a lot of different guys.”

James Wiseman: I've got to lead my team

Memphis East's James Wiseman grabs a rebound against Holy Spirit during the Memphis Hoopfest at Briarcrest Christian School on Friday, Jan. 4, 2019.

With Dandridge out, Wiseman said he knows he has to step up big in Thursday's rematch of last year's state title game.

The McDonald's All-American caught fire in the fourth quarter of the district title game against Whitehaven and finished with 32 points but it wasn't enough for the win.

Wiseman said that although he anticipates needing a similar performance on Thursday he isn't feeling any extra pressure. 

"I’ve just got to go out there and lead my team," said Wiseman. "I’ve been doing this since I was little, so it ain’t no pressure."

Both teams will advance to Monday's sectionals, where spots in the state tournament will be on the line.

Matthew Murrell puts Whitehaven in region final

Whitehaven Tigers Matthew Murrell (11), runs onto the court in the 1st half during the game between the East Memphis Mustangs and the Whitehaven Tigers, Thursday, Dec. 13, 2018.

Whitehaven Tigers Matthew Murrell (11), runs onto the court in the 1st half during the game between the East Memphis Mustangs and the Whitehaven Tigers, Thursday, Dec. 13, 2018.  (Photo: Ariel Cobbert, The Commercial Appeal)

Whitehaven couldn't have clinched its spot in the region championship in a more dramatic fashion. Down two points with 2.1 seconds left, Matthew Murrell sank a 3-pointer at the buzzer to secure a 51-50 win over Southwind on Tuesday. 

"I don’t care if Matthew had missed every shot tonight, he was going to get the last shot and he’s always going to get the last shot if we can win or tie it," said coach Faragi Phillips. "It doesn't make any difference. He puts in the work and he’s deserving of it."

So Phillips drew up a play for him. And Murrell, who led the team with 19 points, delivered. 

"It’s a play that we usually run and he switched our positions based on how they were guarding us," said Murrell. "So he knew they would go for the initial corner shot so they switched on that and I was able to get loose and get the top of the key shot."

Edited by kwc

2 hours ago, TonyG said:

May sound crazy but if I’m Bartlett, I’m rooting for Whitehaven tonight. East lacks guard play and no longer have twin towers, so let Wiseman get his and clamp down on anyone else. Houston was just not up to it. Guard play wasn’t solid at all. I'm really curious if Southwind lost to avoid East because I don’t see how they lost to Houston. I know games happen but dang. Maybe it was southwind's night Tuesday.

But back to my original statement, Bartlett has stronger guard play than East and it will be the best advantage to have.

And for selfish reasons i hope this is the matchup also for myself to have a chance of seeing Bartlett Whitehaven in the final bc I'll be out of the country and miss the sub state games lol.

That doesn't sound crazy. If you think about it, East has lost a significant amount of talent off of last year's team, not to mention the change in HC. They no longer have the Lawson brothers because their father became the HC at Wooddale and they are over there with him looking like they are going to take Wooddale to the state tournament with the baniker of 'favorite' to winn it all in AA. Ryan Boyce and Alo are in college at the U of M. Now, they have lost Dandridge for the season .... and all of this under a different HC. They still have the 'Big Ticket' ... but that may be too much to overcome.

Edited by kwc