Pound for pound rankings

Wrestlingfan37

Here's one good way to know...

Chattanoogan.com - Chattanooga's source for breaking local news
 Thursday, January 17, 2019 42.0°F   light drizzle fog/mist   

Tennessee Wrestling State Champions To Compete In Post-Season “Best Of The Best” Event

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

This March, elite wrestlers from all high schools in Tennessee will be able to showcase their skills against each other, regardless of division or school size.   

The Middle Tennessee Wrestling Officials Association (MTWOA) and Compound Sportwear present “Tennessee’s Best of the Best presented by Compound Sportwear”, a post-season quad wrestling meet, which will pit state champions from each wrestling classification against each other to showcase the top wrestlers statewide. Champions from Division I AAA, Division I A/AA, and Division II will be joined by one wild card entry in each weight class to form 4 mixed teams that will compete in a dual format. Teams will compete in three duals. This post-season event will be held at 5 p.m. on March 2, at Oakland High School in Murfreesboro, Tn.

“We are extremely excited for these high school wrestlers to see how they compare to champions from other divisions,” said John Gannon, president of the MTWOA. “It will be a great night to celebrate and showcase elite scholastic wrestling in Tennessee.”

Wrestling crowned one champion per weight class until 1997, when public and private schools split into separate divisions. The championships were further divided in 2014, when public schools separated into small school and large school classifications. This event gives wrestling fans the opportunity to see elite wrestlers compete from all over the state and from every division and classification.

Cliff Fretwell of Compound Sportswear added, “We are excited to support Tennessee’s Best of the Best. Compound Sportswear is dedicated to supporting and growing wrestling all over the southeast. We are honored to be involved with such a prestigious event that showcases young up and coming talent! The talent growth and success on the national level in recent years is a testament to events like these!”

Proceeds from this event will go toward funding wrestling in Tennessee. Oakland High School is at 2225 Patriot Dr., Murfreesboro, Tn. 37130.

25 minutes ago, Sommers said:

Tennessee Wrestling State Champions To Compete In Post-Season “Best Of The Best” Event

This March, elite wrestlers from all high schools in Tennessee will be able to showcase their skills against each other, regardless of division or school size.   

The Middle Tennessee Wrestling Officials Association (MTWOA) and Compound Sportwear present “Tennessee’s Best of the Best presented by Compound Sportwear”, a post-season quad wrestling meet, which will pit state champions from each wrestling classification against each other to showcase the top wrestlers statewide. Champions from Division I AAA, Division I A/AA, and Division II will be joined by one wild card entry in each weight class to form 4 mixed teams that will compete in a dual format. Teams will compete in three duals. This post-season event will be held at 5 p.m. on March 2, at Oakland High School in Murfreesboro, Tn.

“We are extremely excited for these high school wrestlers to see how they compare to champions from other divisions,” said John Gannon, president of the MTWOA. “It will be a great night to celebrate and showcase elite scholastic wrestling in Tennessee.”

Wrestling crowned one champion per weight class until 1997, when public and private schools split into separate divisions. The championships were further divided in 2014, when public schools separated into small school and large school classifications. This event gives wrestling fans the opportunity to see elite wrestlers compete from all over the state and from every division and classification.

Cliff Fretwell of Compound Sportswear added, “We are excited to support Tennessee’s Best of the Best. Compound Sportswear is dedicated to supporting and growing wrestling all over the southeast. We are honored to be involved with such a prestigious event that showcases young up and coming talent! The talent growth and success on the national level in recent years is a testament to events like these!”

Proceeds from this event will go toward funding wrestling in Tennessee. Oakland High School is at 2225 Patriot Dr., Murfreesboro, Tn. 37130.

How is this going to give us any more indication for the top p4p than what we have already?

8 hours ago, ObserverW said:

Thanks Mrs. Lundy. 

I don't see Fields anywhere on the list.  I am not sure why he is your measuring stick.  I don't think a preseason win over a one time medalist/champ is enough to propel someone without a state medal into the P4P rankings.  Also, I'm not sure I consider 8-4 a "really close match."  But since you mentioned it, please do tell the "big out of state tournaments" Lundy has won.  Was it the Knockout Christmas Classic?  No, that's not it, he was 2-2 there.  Was it McCallie?  No he was 3rd there.  Sorry but its hard for me to see what you see without some gold medals on the wall.

This made me laugh

16 hours ago, Sommers said:

I wish them well but this has never been very successful in other states.  How many good kids are really going to cut weight for this tournament.  Many of the D2 state champions will have just returned from the National Preps.

• Upvote 1

On 1/18/2019 at 8:37 AM, cbg said:

I wish them well but this has never been very successful in other states.  How many good kids are really going to cut weight for this tournament.  Many of the D2 state champions will have just returned from the National Preps.

This being the following weekend I see no excuse for the D2 guys not to show up. This is crucial to the growth of our sport and takes place in the middle of the state. We should take this opportunity to create an environment that will bring more Division 1 eyes to our state. The individual tournament should not even be split by divisions in the first place considering that its an INDIVIDUAL event. This is something kids have begged for since the split. I hope we take advantage of this opportunity. A big thank you to Cliff Fretwell for supporting Tennessee wrestling in this way. We would be foolish not to support any event this guy is involved with.

35 minutes ago, NotSurprised said:

This being the following weekend I see no excuse for the D2 guys not to show up. This is crucial to the growth of our sport and takes place in the middle of the state. We should take this opportunity to create an environment that will bring more Division 1 eyes to our state. The individual tournament should not even be split by divisions in the first place considering that its an INDIVIDUAL event. This is something kids have begged for since the split. I hope we take advantage of this opportunity. A big thank you to Cliff Fretwell for supporting Tennessee wrestling in this way. We would be foolish not to support any event this guy is involved with.

I wish you well but I do not expect the top guys in D1 or D2 to show up if they have to cut weight.

I wish them well too but I dont think they will show up even if they get weight.  Great idea but I am not confident in a high level of participation right after the sesson.  Especially for those that compete nationally and start preparing for the big national tournaments in Folkstyle, Freestyle and Greco.  Just my prediction.

1 hour ago, BQ125 said:

I wish them well too but I dont think they will show up even if they get weight.  Great idea but I am not confident in a high level of participation right after the sesson.  Especially for those that compete nationally and start preparing for the big national tournaments in Folkstyle, Freestyle and Greco.  Just my prediction.

I agree BQ also, i wish them well and I love the idea but I see very little participation too. This is a great idea and if we did it before the season starts this could take off.   But, right after the season is a no go, this is our downtime before NHSCA AND free/Greco starts.    

I agree with BQ as well. These top kids go hard all year, and a lot of them like to take a little time off and cheat on their diets after state. I think this is something the coaches and fans want to see more than the kids themselves. I love the idea, but just don’t expect a lot of our top talent to show up. If we really want to see the best at each weight, TSSAA will have to make changes. Keep the split for the state duals, and then do one bracket for individual state. This probably won’t happen though, so we will have to keep speculating unless meet earlier in the season. 

You’d have to incentivize it. Hamm and I have had this conversation countless times. Take the top 4 and seed it and bracket it out. Singlets for the finalists. Shirts for the participants. Belts for the winners. 5pound weight allowance. You’d have to make it worth their while to be there. Just having it and saying other top guys will be there won’t be enough.

• CoachT changed the title to Pound for pound rankings