Maryville is Overrated

KnoxBball1969

Well, the Rebels the Refs (or  whomever you want to point out) met a different Bearden team tonight. I really thought it was a mistake for the Bearden coach to put Drew (3? I think that is the young man) on Joe Anderson.  But it worked out tonight. Not sure if it is systemic of all high schools but it seems to be quite a bit of moving screens -some with grabbing and holding. Not a fan of either team just played here and still like to watch the children play. It is amazing how large and talented they are now.

9 minutes ago, dirtydawg15 said:

Pember controlled the entire game with his defense. Anderson had 11 points...probably 10 below his average. He had difficulty scoring and getting open looks with Pember guarding him and it disrupted everything they wanted to do offensively.

Completely agree. 4 of Joes 11 came in transition.. and 2 more came with Stepheny on him

I have seen Drew lock down the opposing teams best guard a few times now it was no surprise to me what he was able to do to a great player like Joe Anderson. It is a testament to the type of team player he is to be so unselfish and do the little things to make his team better. We got to see a glimpse of what he could do if he choose to last night his drive and dunk showed he has the skills to be a force on offense to go along with all the incredible things he does on defense. The blocks he had on Joe's step back jumpers were impressive and his ability to stay between Joe and the rim completely frustrated Mr Anderson it appeared. I personally think it was Pember who got under his skin so much that when a late foul on a drive caused Anderson to loose his cool and start the whole shoving verbal altercation in which a few players from Maryville left the bench area #24 and 11 specifically. What is supposed to be the penalty  for leaving the bench area during a altercation? Was a great environment last night Bearden is as everyone knows loaded  and Maryville is very solid well coached team. 

Last night was more of a true representation of both teams.  Bearden's defense was dominant.  At first I didn't quite understand why Pember was guarding Anderson, but quickly realized why Coach Parrott made that decision.  Pember's length was a huge factor in shutting Joe  well below his average.  Joe is one of the smoothest basketball players ive seen in a long time and Pember shut him down.

I also found it interesting when Maryville started with a box and 1 on Quez.  It worked to begin with, but that is a hard defense to play when you have four other offensive players on the court that can all score.  

I could see the squirmish at the end of the game building up the entire 2nd half.  When Bearden got a 29 point lead, I knew tensions were rising.   Anderson let Stephany get to him.  I thought the refs handled that situation brillantly and made the correct call for both teams.  A personal foul on Trent and then a Tech on each player.  That could have gotten alot worse, but emotions cooled off and everything was ok.

I thought the refs did a great job for both teams.  They let the kids play and didn't call every foul.  that is the way basketball is suppose to be played.  In the first matchup, the Refs played a huge role in the outcome of the game.  4 total technicals called.  The ref was reprimanded and isn't allowed to call another Bearden game all year.

This will be a fun post season to watch.  I can easily see a Bearden vs Maryville matchup in both the District and Region Finals.   Will be fun to watch indeed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, knoxguy said:

I have seen Drew lock down the opposing teams best guard a few times now it was no surprise to me what he was able to do to a great player like Joe Anderson. It is a testament to the type of team player he is to be so unselfish and do the little things to make his team better. We got to see a glimpse of what he could do if he choose to last night his drive and dunk showed he has the skills to be a force on offense to go along with all the incredible things he does on defense. The blocks he had on Joe's step back jumpers were impressive and his ability to stay between Joe and the rim completely frustrated Mr Anderson it appeared. I personally think it was Pember who got under his skin so much that when a late foul on a drive caused Anderson to loose his cool and start the whole shoving verbal altercation in which a few players from Maryville left the bench area #24 and 11 specifically. What is supposed to be the penalty  for leaving the bench area during a altercation? Was a great environment last night Bearden is as everyone knows loaded  and Maryville is very solid well coached team. 

2 game suspension is my understanding 

On 1/18/2019 at 8:53 AM, Norman Dale said:

How about giving a team credit for being 20-1 instead of saying they are overrated? They have a PG who can shoot the lights out, multiple other excellent 3 point shooters, and are well coached. They may not be quite as physically talented as some other teams but beating teams that are more physically talented than you are is a good thing.

Maryville is having a great season.  I just don't know how you can say anyone that is 20-1 is overrated.

Bump...

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:36 AM, knoxguy said:

As a Maryville Rebel supporter it wasn't easy watching Bearden beat Maryville by 23 points the other night. There is a silver lining though. I watched Drew Pember the other night. Drew Pember is 6'10 with a real good shooting touch and handles the ball well. He needs to get stronger. He is skinny. He needs to redshirt. In a few years I could see Drew Pember helping the Vols. What impressed me the most about Drew Pember is his defense. He moves really well for a 6'10 guy. He guarded Maryville point guard Joe Anderson and smothered Joe all game long. Joe isn't a run of the mill high school point guard. Joe is a junior that has been offered by ETSU. Heard Belmont is interested in Joe also. Joe lit Bearden for 30 points in earlier meeting. Pember didn't play in the 1st game because of injury. Bearden is a way better team with Drew Pember in the lineup. I was impressed with Drew Pember.

51 minutes ago, Red Rebels said:

Ron, this thread was specifically created to bash high school kids. Please stay on topic. 

:rolleyes:

Nope.. it was created to just to point out that Maryville is a team with a soft schedule, some of the most fortunate reffing in key games, and frankly a player that is looked at as JJ Reddick.. but in reality he is closer to a Brad Woodson. 

Let’s remind ourselves that he won district player of the year last year over 2 all state guards that average the same numbers as him. 

Again, Maryville is a solid basketball team and could make it to state. But most people that aren’t wearing red tented glasses can see that they are not the second team in the state (and maybe not in Knoxville area).

1 minute ago, KnoxBball1969 said:

Nope.. it was created to just to point out that Maryville is a team with a soft schedule, some of the most fortunate reffing in key games, and frankly a player that is looked at as JJ Reddick.. but in reality he is closer to a Brad Woodson. 

Let’s remind ourselves that he won district player of the year last year over 2 all state guards that average the same numbers as him. 

Again, Maryville is a solid basketball team and could make it to state. But most people that aren’t wearing red tented glasses can see that they are not the second team in the state (and maybe not in Knoxville area).

See Ron, this is how you bash high school kids.