Maryville is Overrated

KnoxBball1969

I’ve got to chime in on this Player of the Year discussion. IMO, it is absolutely NOT an injustice if Joe Anderson is selected as the district Player of the Year this year- I think you can make a great case for it in fact. He is clearly the best player on the team that tied for the regular season title  and he outplayed Glover and Stephney in one of their two head to head games.

That said- I would agree that Anderson probably didn’t deserve the award as much last year although he had a good year last year. But this year he is absolutely as deserving as anybody else, IMO.

Edited by Norman Dale

57 minutes ago, Norman Dale said:

I’ve got to chime in on this Player of the Year discussion. IMO, it is absolutely NOT an injustice if Joe Anderson is selected as the district Player of the Year this year- I think you can make a great case for it in fact. He is clearly the best player on the team that tied for the regular season title  and he outplayed Glover and Stephney in one of their two head to head games.

That said- I would agree that Anderson probably didn’t deserve the award as much last year although he had a good year last year. But this year he is absolutely as deserving as anybody else, IMO.

I think if you look objectively Joe certainly is deserving of the POY award. If you take Joe off of the Maryville team, they're in the middle of the pack. You take Ques, Trent or Pember off of the Bearden team and they're probably still winning the district.

15 minutes ago, IrishBBall said:

I think if you look objectively Joe certainly is deserving of the POY award. If you take Joe off of the Maryville team, they're in the middle of the pack. You take Ques, Trent or Pember off of the Bearden team and they're probably still winning the district.

I'm not so sure of that. Ques and Trent make that engine go.  If you take one of them off Bearden they probably still win the district but all 3? No way. I think Christian Gale is overlooked and has had just as important of an impact on Maryville's season as Joe.  In the end they are all really talented basketball players.

4 hours ago, Norman Dale said:

Again Joe is a good player. But just because his usage is way higher doesn’t mean he is better than a team with multiple D1 players.

Agree that last year would be more of an injustice than this year. 

4 hours ago, QSouth89 said:

I'm not so sure of that. Ques and Trent make that engine go.  If you take one of them off Bearden they probably still win the district but all 3? No way. I think Christian Gale is overlooked and has had just as important of an impact on Maryville's season as Joe.  In the end they are all really talented basketball players.

Reading comprehension Q... that's why I used OR not AND for Bearden's big 3. 8-)

Gale is overlooked to a degree but Joe controls that team's destiny.

2 hours ago, KnoxBball1969 said:

Something that I find interesting is the voting.. a lot of these coaches are petty and will vote one way or another for a reason besides who is better.

You can’t vote on your team so it will be interesting to see if someone votes for Stepheny or a Catholic player to cause the vote to sway one way or another.

Good point. Not even being petty, but a healthy Pember and you could make a case of the votes getting split amongst Ques, Trent and Pember not to mention BJ or Akeem from Catholic. By the same token, should Parrot vote for Joe when that vote might cost Ques the POY award? A safer bet would be Akeem or BJ for him if he wanted Ques to win.

Does petty come into play? Jealousy or trash talking etc. affect a coaches vote? Surely not...

Edited by IrishBBall

55 minutes ago, chill said:

1) Glover 

2) Anderson 

3) Stephney 

4) Akeem 

5) Gale 

6) Pember(Missed too many games)

Chill ... is that "official"?  Or just your thoughts?  A pretty good list.  One of my favorite players in the distict hit 1,000 points last night -- Jordan Tarver, WB.  Not in top five in district, but I think he would have to be considered in Top 10.  He's a stat sheet kid and I have loved watching him play.

• Like 1