A8 Refs are getting worse every game

reasonable14

1 hour ago, reasonable14 said:

Anyone else have terrible refs this year? It's like they get worse every game. 

Watch out or you will get an article in your newspaper from TSSAA telling you to be quiet or they will cut out all games because of how sorry you are to holler at incompetence and they can not supply officials who have the ability to call a game.

4 hours ago, OrangeGuru said:

Watch out or you will get an article in your newspaper from TSSAA telling you to be quiet or they will cut out all games because of how sorry you are to holler at incompetence and they can not supply officials who have the ability to call a game.

I seen that article and I was like really. I know its a hard job but some are just cheating and it is clear as day. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, reasonable14 said:

I seen that article and I was like really. I know its a hard job but some are just cheating and it is clear as day. 

I disagree. I dont think it's a hard job. Call what u see and do it consistently. My major gripe is refs are so inconsistent you cant adjust to them. My 2nd gripe is you can't wear your feelings on your shoulders. If your wrong your just wrong and when fans and coaches tell you you're wrong you take it personal. My 3rd gripe is these are kids that are playing, dont make the game about you the ref. Call the game, if you see it call it. I know plenty of refs and that it's not my call or it's not my area mess is for the birds. I ref a lot of youth and ref leagues and if I see it I call it and I dont let fans and coaches rattle me. Officiating is at an all time worse! Lastly, idc if it's a 30pt blowout dont stop calling the game, that's how fights start and injuries happen. I'm blowing a team out and my player goes up to score and gets hammered and you dont call it because I'm blowing them out or I'm up big and we've both subbed now you wont call travelling or double dribble. These young kids have to learn! Most Refs get paid as soon as they get to a gym, Y is that? We work and dont get paid til after we have worked a week or two. Ijs. Apologies for the long post

5 hours ago, Ascendotuum said:

Perhaps you could give an example or two of plays that you think they are screwing up on

Block/Charge calls, Offensive fouls, and On/over the back fouls. 

Player A is right handed, goes to the basket on the left side, with both hands on the ball, defender runs in front of her and falls ref calls charge and his explanation was she extended her right arm and cleared out. How is that possible of shes shooting with her right hand.

Player A is 5'6, and is standing in front of player B who is 6'1. No box out of contact is made, Player B reaches up and grabs rebound without jumping and ref calls over the back or push. Smh!

Please help me understand

48 minutes ago, RealisticFan45 said:

Player A is right handed, goes to the basket on the left side, with both hands on the ball, defender runs in front of her and falls ref calls charge and his explanation was she extended her right arm and cleared out. How is that possible of shes shooting with her right hand.

Player A is 5'6, and is standing in front of player B who is 6'1. No box out of contact is made, Player B reaches up and grabs rebound without jumping and ref calls over the back or push. Smh!

And I thought I was the only one who wished that refs knew the rules and understood the game.  Most games I’ve seen this year would have been better officiated if both teams had just selected one referee each from their bench or fans.  

1 hour ago, RealisticFan45 said:

Sounds to me as if you understand just fine, especially on the last scenario... there's no such thing as "over the back", with no consequential contact, there's no foul. Block/charge calls are the worst... around here any movement constitutes a "block", even if the defender is giving ground and the ball handler runs directly over them. My biggest gripe is with being consistent. ticky-tac touch fouls for two or three trips, then knock downs on screens and hacks across shooting arms are let go. Also, if one team has significantly more fouls per half and the crowd calls attention to it, seems as if it becomes a priority to "even up" the fouls.

• Like 1

I have seen a bunch of  basketball games since the 80s and I can say without question it is got worse every year. The guy over tssaa  was on 104.5 The zone I believe last week and it was a plea for people to quit hacking on the referees. I know refereeing is a tough job and I have refereed a bunch of games but I believe, what someone stated, it has gotten worse since the three man has been in effect. I have talked to referees which I think doing a wonderful job but when you put one veteran referee and with two people that are green in a high school game that is what you would expect is the crowd to be vocal because they shouldn't be out there in the first place. Now if they would go back to the two men crew there would be a couple of things that what happened. Tssaa probably would lose money and some of these guys would have to trim down to get their rear up and down the court. They also couldn't blame another referee because it wasnt in his or her area. Referee is a decent-paying job for some not to give effort is really what gets me heated. 

Edited by scatback

I told yall not to talk about the TSSAA and the refs. They are sensitive. It does not matter how they call a game because TSSAA has said if we dont like it they just do away with the games. It doesn't matter if the refs dont run the floor, know the rules or they are consistant with their calls throughout the game. You guys are going to be pointed at in the stands and the police officers are going to remove you from the arena. You can not yell at the refs but they can yell at a coach and player. TSSAA says that's ok. Reminder the gods of basketball are watching you.  TSSAA IS WATCHING YOU.  

Edited by OrangeGuru