A8 Refs are getting worse every game

reasonable14

Just saw a highlight of a kid from Culleoka dunking.  He didn't get up really high and slammed it two-handed.  He swunk forward then back and Mr. Bigshot ref acted like the kid played tarzan and gave him a Tech.   If he lets go then he hits hard on the floor.   This ref was clueless but he wanted to show everyone in the stands who he was I guess.  

Clarksville NW Girls vs. Springfield Girls:  A Springfield player steals the ball and is going for the tying layup with about 6 seconds and gets caught from behind and gets slammed into the wall and goes down with no call.  The ref obviously didn't want to hang around for OT.   Ridiculous.  

Well as much as i would like to say i saw a good crew of officials for the second straight game i can not. Same ole same ole that we have been told is the best we get and to like it or lump it. I also saw the man in the stands who is in charge of officials for our area watching the games. He sat there stoned faced. It was bad. Real bad.

11 hours ago, Timeslowdownplease said:

Orange Guru, what was bad about it?  If a team makes 50 mistakes on a given night and the officials pass in 4-5 whistles, what makes that a bad night of officiating?  If a girls team gets beat by 60 and has more fouls than the team that won, there is a reason you get beat by 60 or win by 60 and it’s not the Referees

UHHHHH, I did not see a 60 point game I was referring to. But hey, If you do not mind an official passing on the correct call then you should feel really good about the current way a lot of the games are officiated.

Edited by OrangeGuru

On 1/30/2019 at 10:37 AM, OrangeGuru said:

I do not think anyone expects perfection. Its just impossible. But we do expect and should expect better than what being provided in a lot of cases. I watched a girls and boys game last night. The game was not perfectly called. One call had half the gym scratching their head and the other half saying "huh". BUT the game was consistently called, the officials did not aggressively engage with the fans, they did not over react to a coach questioning a call and the did not make the game about themselves and decide the out come of the game, They ran the floor, were in pretty good position most the entire time and they let the kids play. AND they were fairly younger refs with calm in control demeanor. I do however still resent that TSSAA wants to put an article in the newspapers blaming the fans for poor officials. That's just a  silly stupid contention and its insulting. TSSAA is judge, jury and executioner in everything high school sports related activity in the state but will not take responsibility for the poor officiating but rather make false and empty threats just to do away with the sports themselves. Yes false and empty threats because elected officials would never let it happen.  But blaming the fans and MOMs and Dads for something that is progressively getting worse because TSSAA is telling and allowing some of these loudmouth know it all refs that they the "man" and do what you want, act like you want and say what you want during the games by not demanding better officiating  is a load of crap. I'd like to see more of the guys I saw last night instead of these so called veteran guys who think they are the reason for the game.

Story from a Kansas newspaper about why young officials quit.

http://www.hutchnews.com/news/20190120/buhlers-justin-seuser-sees-highs-and-lows-as-athletic-director-referee

15 hours ago, MrFootball71 said:

Sounds like the guys I happen to see during this game I was describing. Again hoping for more of this type official instead of the others we seem to be forced to accept by TSSAA. I still find it insulting for a Mom or Dad or a Fan to be the cause of poor officiating when they have been in the stands since basketball become a spectator sport and the officiating gets poorer.

2 hours ago, chattaboom said:

These are not A8 refs, but instead they are Chattanooga.  This is why parents and fans are disappointed with the level of what TSSAA is putting on the court.  This was a no call possession that changed the outcome of a district championship game.

https://youtu.be/Po8guHRaXMU

Six seconds on the clock and at least three calls should have been made in my estimation by watching the tape.

On 1/24/2019 at 7:50 AM, OrangeGuru said:

I told yall not to talk about the TSSAA and the refs. They are sensitive. It does not matter how they call a game because TSSAA has said if we dont like it they just do away with the games. It doesn't matter if the refs dont run the floor, know the rules or they are consistant with their calls throughout the game. You guys are going to be pointed at in the stands and the police officers are going to remove you from the arena. You can not yell at the refs but they can yell at a coach and player. TSSAA says that's ok. Reminder the gods of basketball are watching you.  TSSAA IS WATCHING YOU.  

Sounds like you have a beef with the TSSAA.  You can go on any high school message board in the country or any college message board and you hear the same thing on every one of them, the officiating is terrible.  Not any different in any other state.  Official shortage is in every sport nationwide.  I know you like to blame the TSSAA for everything but it’s not any different in any other state.  Here is another article you need to read. This was written by Tom Kreager of the Tennessean.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/02/14/high-school-sports-fight-tennessee-tssaa/2838563002/

16 hours ago, MrFootball71 said:

Sounds like you have a beef with the TSSAA.  You can go on any high school message board in the country or any college message board and you hear the same thing on every one of them, the officiating is terrible.  Not any different in any other state.  Official shortage is in every sport nationwide.  I know you like to blame the TSSAA for everything but it’s not any different in any other state.  Here is another article you need to read. This was written by Tom Kreager of the Tennessean.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/02/14/high-school-sports-fight-tennessee-tssaa/2838563002/

Yes I've seen the article by Mr Kreager and I looked at other information involving altercations and fights in high school athletics. Seems like it a problem that just now emerging but actually its just now being caught on camera. Mr. Kreager not attending games is the same reaction some schools who have had these issues consistently are beginning to wake up to. . other schools just do not schedule these schools. From what I have read, the schools that more often than not have the issues are the same ones year after year until a new administrator at the school steps in or a coaching change is made that corrects an attitude which has been allowed to take hold is eliminated. I do have a problem with TSSAA. They blame everyone else for problems which they control. Officiating is just one example. Moms, Dads, Coaches and Fans have absolutely nothing to do with the way the games are called but yet TSSAA wants to put out a newspaper article admonishing parent and fans for not be willing to accept more often than has to be poorly officiated games.

Edited by OrangeGuru