2018-2019 Miss Basketball Nominations

WolfPack101

14 hours ago, GCPioneer said:

Well......you claim I was crying in the other thread about the region tournament being played at UTM, when in reality I'm worried about watching games where teams can't hit the backboard....

Now, I see you crying about wanting more classifications and watering things down some more so we can watch even more bad basketball.....

How about let your girls play basketball. Quit making up excuses in case they lose. You state you want to quit seeing bad basketball then we for sure need more classifications. Odds are you will find more atheletes among 300 girls then you will among 50. That is a legit disadvantage not 20 minutes of warmups at a neutral gym.

8 hours ago, AllVolHere said:

How about let your girls play basketball. Quit making up excuses in case they lose. You state you want to quit seeing bad basketball then we for sure need more classifications. Odds are you will find more atheletes among 300 girls then you will among 50. That is a legit disadvantage not 20 minutes of warmups at a neutral gym.

GCPioneer and Allvolhere,

You guys crack me up going back and forth on so many threads.  Maybe ya’ll can find some common ground and agree on something.  Don’t both of you guys love the Vols?  Maybe you can start there...

LOL

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AllVolHere said:

I do love those Vols!!! Beat Kentucky!!!

See.... Common ground for you two!  Maybe ya'll can meet up and console each other after yesterday's game or get together and celebrate together when the Vols return the whooping at home in a week or 2.  I love playing the peacemaker!

I’ve got a question as to what criteria is used to select the finalists. In the AAA classification, who is the leading scorer for points per game? Rebounds per game? Field goals made? Double doubles? What is the GPA of the finalists.  Just looking to understand the criteria. Looking for understanding that right now I don’t have. Thanks 

5 hours ago, sharetheball said:

I’ve got a question as to what criteria is used to select the finalists. In the AAA classification, who is the leading scorer for points per game? Rebounds per game? Field goals made? Double doubles? What is the GPA of the finalists.  Just looking to understand the criteria. Looking for understanding that right now I don’t have. Thanks 

I went to the Tennessee High School web page and they have a vague explanation on how players are selected. Head coaches and media members selected the finalist and sports writers picked the winners. Performance during the 2018 - 2019 REGULAR season, character and academics are used in the selection process.

That sounds nice and all but there are several problems with the explanation. I will just mention the media / sports writers aspect of the process. It is very difficult for a Tri-Cities writer to know what is happening in Memphis and vice versa. Is there a place on the web that has stats on all the players? Can a sports writer call up a high school and ask about a student athlete's character and GPA?

I say all this not to question anyone's judgement. I respect the media and feel they do the best they can. If Jada Guinn from Oak Ridge wins in Class AAA, I will be so proud of her. If she isn't selected then i will send her a tweet saying I am still proud of her and wish her well at Tennessee Tech.

3 hours ago, WillieTheWildcats said:

I went to the Tennessee High School web page and they have a vague explanation on how players are selected. Head coaches and media members selected the finalist and sports writers picked the winners. Performance during the 2018 - 2019 REGULAR season, character and academics are used in the selection process.

That sounds nice and all but there are several problems with the explanation. I will just mention the media / sports writers aspect of the process. It is very difficult for a Tri-Cities writer to know what is happening in Memphis and vice versa. Is there a place on the web that has stats on all the players? Can a sports writer call up a high school and ask about a student athlete's character and GPA?

I say all this not to question anyone's judgement. I respect the media and feel they do the best they can. If Jada Guinn from Oak Ridge wins in Class AAA, I will be so proud of her. If she isn't selected then i will send her a tweet saying I am still proud of her and wish her well at Tennessee Tech.

There are a lot of politics and name recognition involved.

1 minute ago, sharetheball said:
  • sharetheball
  • Members
  • 7 posts

I think this i a biased selection process. i keep watcing for a data based process. i cant help but feel it is cligue driven. i challenge the AAA candidates tp post points per game, rebounds per game, field goals qde, assists, and doble doubles. I'm betting they cant come close to Courtney Whitson. you can see her realtime statson unapproved website, which this site does not recognize.(theyll not post the name but you know it.)

On 2/18/2019 at 4:51 AM, WillieTheWildcats said:

There are massive media packets that are generated and sent as well, essentially highlight clips, print materials, etc. It’s ridiculous because it is somewhat dependent on the individual’s ability to pay for the best materials. Most great players I know don’t really care, even the ones who won. They care about how their team performs. The essence of the award is completely against the team nature. What about amazing players who aren’t prolific scorers? What about ball hogs? What about winning? There are so many ways to skew it, and almost anyone can cut film to look good. Just my opinion, but it’s just one more thing to encourage a distraction from what should be the primary goal. Lots of historically great teams don’t have any or many Miss Basketball nominees, much less winners. 

West Tn has always gotten robbed in categories like these! We have had wonderful players in all different classes around the area! Like this year in AA we had 2 players(one 14AA) (one 15AA) score over 2,000 points in their career on to not get mvp of their respective districts smh! Back to the topic meanwhile Dishman has 2,000 plus points(almost 3,000) points in her career, but is at home watching now! If you have a player that dominate you will find ways to win! I feel that because she is from East Tn she gets the edge on special individual awards like this! I don’t care what the committee picks my Miss Basketball is South Side Quanardra Miller!! All 5’3 of her! She is a true leader! Leading a not that much talked about South Side team into the biggest stages of basketball! We are rolling 17 game winning streak looking for 21 straight for that gold ball!!