DCA coach?

CatsBy90

39 minutes ago, Playerscoach said:

I understand why some would worry. School is essentially out and a coach hasnt been named but thats what parents do. Like I said before I am not sure what AD Goodwins process was going into this hire so this may have been his plan? Regardless it is reasonable for folks to wonder when a coach will be named. Im sure Goodwin will be excited to announce the new basketball and volleyball coaches soon. 

Seeing the change from a 20+ win program to far less than that these last several years was not what anyone expected. Neither were the extremely low numbers participating. That is not an indictment of the former coach but is just reality. Some sort of change occurred that led to it even though the former head coach is a wonderful man and had an outstanding basketball resume for HS and college. To me, its why  getting the right coach is a must more-so than just hiring “a” coach. From the HS kids perspective though they seem fine. The two returning Sr starters are training at Lakeside Elite and are excited about next season. Another player is also there getting ready for the season. To me the biggest question is can the new coach get the 6’3.5” Sr to return to basketball along with a 6’0” Jr? A 5’9” Soph guard is returning and she will help a great deal. If the new coach can get those players to return, create a fun HS program, work with the MS and 6th grade coaches to develop a whole program then this hire was a success. I still believe Nate Johnson moving over from the boys team would have been the home run of home runs. I think hes a very very good coach, great person, and great teacher of fundamentals not to mention he’s a great communicator with the kids. If I were the AD I would have looked closely at that. Plus, the girls have the numbers and talent in the lower grades thats far superior to the boys right now. In fact that 6th grade team athletically is likely the best ever in the schools history. 

I think Coach Johnson would do a good job as well. Will he do both? Is he the only option at this point? Is there any candidates outside the school who are still interested or haven’t turned us down yet? 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, CatsBy90 said:

I think Coach Johnson would do a good job as well. Will he do both? Is he the only option at this point? Is there any candidates outside the school who are still interested or haven’t turned us down yet? 

Just had a friend call and say the job was reposted. Everyone turned us down. Not a good job for current coaches, coaching elsewhere. Coach Johnson might be the next coach if that is the case. 

This is about as embarrassing as it gets for the school as well as little Gober. There were several people who looked into the position only to turn it down,be told there was no spot for them, or to be ignored all together.  Now they are reposting the job and expecting better results than what they received the last 6 months? Gober speaks out of both sides of his mouth, positive online and negative behind closed doors.  He knows , just like everyone else that this is a huge dumpster fire. He just tries to spin it in a positive light. Truth be told the program as a whole is on a massive decline and anyone smart enough should jump ship why they can. And this “best class ever” the parents are already shopping around so don’t expect that group to stay together and live up to this hype. For a school who has had a proud tradition of high athletic achievement, this is truly sad.

19 minutes ago, BigENS said:

This is about as embarrassing as it gets for the school as well as little Gober. There were several people who looked into the position only to turn it down,be told there was no spot for them, or to be ignored all together.  Now they are reposting the job and expecting better results than what they received the last 6 months? Gober speaks out of both sides of his mouth, positive online and negative behind closed doors.  He knows , just like everyone else that this is a huge dumpster fire. He just tries to spin it in a positive light. Truth be told the program as a whole is on a massive decline and anyone smart enough should jump ship why they can. And this “best class ever” the parents are already shopping around so don’t expect that group to stay together and live up to this hype. For a school who has had a proud tradition of high athletic achievement, this is truly sad.

You seem to have an idea of what is going on. Did all coaches that were interviewed turn it down, or were they just not happy with the candidates. The people I have talked to said there were a couple good candidates who didn’t even get a call. I would hope that is not true!

5 hours ago, BigENS said:

Look I know youre trying to be funny but thats not. Dont make up stuff about me. Say all the negative stuff you want about the school if it makes you feel better. The peoples coach said you're full of it and just like to run your mouth but just leave me out of it.

Edited by Playerscoach

18 hours ago, Playerscoach said:

Look I know youre trying to be funny but thats not. Dont make up stuff about me. Say all the negative stuff you want about the school if it makes you feel better. The peoples coach said you're full of it and just like to run your mouth but just leave me out of it.

Look, I have no idea who you are. Wouldn’t know you if I passed you on the street. I get info from high people at the school, probably like you. But you have to wonder about people like yourself who call themselves “Mayor of Old Hickory” or “The People’s Coach!”

6 hours ago, BigENS said:

Look, I have no idea who you are. Wouldn’t know you if I passed you on the street. I get info from high people at the school, probably like you. But you have to wonder about people like yourself who call themselves “Mayor of Old Hickory” or “The People’s Coach!”

Nice Deflection...….we know

2 hours ago, CatsBy90 said:

Last question and I am done on here. Will we have a coach before school let’s out for the summer? 

I will say yes, but it will be from someone on faculty. I will agree with BigENS on one thing. The whole situation at DCA is a dumpster fire. Has been for years if not over a decade. No accountability or results driven criteria whatsoever. The athletic department has been ran into the ground. There is only one individual to point the finger at in this case. Time for house cleaning. Wake up Board members!

Edited by AlphaNiner

4 hours ago, AlphaNiner said:

I will say yes, but it will be from someone on faculty. I will agree with BigENS on one thing. The whole situation at DCA is a dumpster fire. Has been for years if not over a decade. No accountability or results driven criteria whatsoever. The athletic department has been ran into the ground. There is only one individual to point the finger at in this case. Time for house cleaning. Wake up Board members!

Who do you think on faculty will get it? Holden? Shepard? 

Who is making the decision on who to hire? Who is to blame for this? Very heart breaking for all who are associated!

Edited by CatsBy90

1 hour ago, CatsBy90 said:

Who do you think on faculty will get it? Holden? Shepard? 

Who is making the decision on who to hire? Who is to blame for this? Very heart breaking for all who are associated!

Those two are possibilities. But there is a third. The high school Principal? Used to be the head coach. Since the school is in bad financial shape (depending who you speak too) then he would save them some coin for the short run. At least until things turn around financially. Even if they did that, things won't change until the AD is gone. In this day and age you have to know how to network, promote, and build relationships. Which he is seriously lacking. Just time to move on.