DCA coach?

CatsBy90

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, CatsBy90 said:

What a cluster. Coach Winfree told the administration and the team before he season he was leaving. 7 months later the guy making the hire appointments himself. 

So is it Co-coaches? Wow that should save the school some money! Guess it starts tomorrow morning at practice?

Karen Singer Named Varsity Girls Basketball Head Coach

Donelson Christian Academy is excited to announce the appointment of Coach Karen Singer to lead the Varsity Girls Basketball team. Coach Singer will be assisted by Keith Singer as the Associate Head Coach. Both Singers have a rich history of teaching and coaching the game.

Coach Karen Singer was a decorated athlete in high school and college. She was the four-year starting point guard and team captain at Taylor University prior to coaching high school teams in Virginia and New York. Additional, Singer directed and coached school-based Summer basketball camps and AAU teams.

Keith Singer coached Varsity Girls Basketball at The Stony Brook School including four sectional championships and a state final four appearance in New York State’s Class “C” division. He was named seven times as Suffolk County’s Basketball Coaches Association League Coach of the Year. Coach Singer brings 21 years of head coaching experience to the program.

Coach Dennis Goodwin, DCA Athletic Director, stated, “I am excited to have Mrs. Karen Singer as our next Head Girls Basketball Coach. Karen was a tremendous three-sport high school and college athlete and coached basketball in Virginia and New York for 20 years.  After trying for years to have Mrs. Singer coach for us, I am thankful she has been led back into the gym. This was a priority for us to have our next coach be on campus for our young ladies."

The coaching team of Karen Singer and Keith Singer brings both experience and a focus on fundamentals that will develop excellent players and teams. Coach Karen Singer shared, “The girls basketball program at DCA has had amazing coaches and players over the years. I consider it an honor to be part of that history and a privilege to be coaching this impressive group of young ladies. I look forward to this new adventure!”

1 hour ago, Playerscoach said:

Karen Singer Named Varsity Girls Basketball Head Coach

Donelson Christian Academy is excited to announce the appointment of Coach Karen Singer to lead the Varsity Girls Basketball team. Coach Singer will be assisted by Keith Singer as the Associate Head Coach. Both Singers have a rich history of teaching and coaching the game.

Coach Karen Singer was a decorated athlete in high school and college. She was the four-year starting point guard and team captain at Taylor University prior to coaching high school teams in Virginia and New York. Additional, Singer directed and coached school-based Summer basketball camps and AAU teams.

Keith Singer coached Varsity Girls Basketball at The Stony Brook School including four sectional championships and a state final four appearance in New York State’s Class “C” division. He was named seven times as Suffolk County’s Basketball Coaches Association League Coach of the Year. Coach Singer brings 21 years of head coaching experience to the program.

Coach Dennis Goodwin, DCA Athletic Director, stated, “I am excited to have Mrs. Karen Singer as our next Head Girls Basketball Coach. Karen was a tremendous three-sport high school and college athlete and coached basketball in Virginia and New York for 20 years.  After trying for years to have Mrs. Singer coach for us, I am thankful she has been led back into the gym. This was a priority for us to have our next coach be on campus for our young ladies."

The coaching team of Karen Singer and Keith Singer brings both experience and a focus on fundamentals that will develop excellent players and teams. Coach Karen Singer shared, “The girls basketball program at DCA has had amazing coaches and players over the years. I consider it an honor to be part of that history and a privilege to be coaching this impressive group of young ladies. I look forward to this new adventure!”

Wow...simply amazing. Maybe M. Work can be their statistician. 

Unique move? Yes. Does it give an odd appearance? Absolutely. However, their resumes are impressive and for the first time in 8 years there are now more than 10 kids playing. Heard they had 14 at the first practice and 2/3 of the impact players that decided not to play last year are back. That includes the 6’3” center who started since her 8th grade year. Ive heard players describe the new coaches as “awesome”, and that the practice was “fun”. Every parent I’ve spoken with was very happy not to mention former players and alums who said they “love” the move. 

Looks like they will have enough for a jv team now too which is huge considering that hasn’t happened in 8 years. I also heard the middle school coaches assisted with the training for the first time in 8 years and that the players “loved” it. 

This move has been discussed for years by many people in the school but never materialized. Seeing numbers increase instantly and hearing the great feedback is in no way an indictment of Coach Winfree but shows the excitement for the Singers. Coach Winfree is a wonderful man and good basketball coach who by all accounts loved his players. He was a good steward of the program and it’s now on the Singers to take the baton. There’s no doubt they have great basketball resumes and are great people as well as communicators. I am most excited to see how this team will defend after hearing Mr Singer discuss his defensive philosophy for the last five years. It will be exciting!!!

11 hours ago, Playerscoach said:

Unique move? Yes. Does it give an odd appearance? Absolutely. However, their resumes are impressive and for the first time in 8 years there are now more than 10 kids playing. Heard they had 14 at the first practice and 2/3 of the impact players that decided not to play last year are back. That includes the 6’3” center who started since her 8th grade year. Ive heard players describe the new coaches as “awesome”, and that the practice was “fun”. Every parent I’ve spoken with was very happy not to mention former players and alums who said they “love” the move. 

Looks like they will have enough for a jv team now too which is huge considering that hasn’t happened in 8 years. I also heard the middle school coaches assisted with the training for the first time in 8 years and that the players “loved” it. 

This move has been discussed for years by many people in the school but never materialized. Seeing numbers increase instantly and hearing the great feedback is in no way an indictment of Coach Winfree but shows the excitement for the Singers. Coach Winfree is a wonderful man and good basketball coach who by all accounts loved his players. He was a good steward of the program and it’s now on the Singers to take the baton. There’s no doubt they have great basketball resumes and are great people as well as communicators. I am most excited to see how this team will defend after hearing Mr Singer discuss his defensive philosophy for the last five years. It will be exciting!!!

"Seeing numbers increase instantly and hearing the great feedback is in no way an indictment of Coach Winfree but shows the excitement for the Singers. "

There is no way you said this with a straight face. Of course it is an indictment on him and the AD for letting this crap go on for 8 years. Does this AD do anything positive except create negativity and discourse. Has he raised one penny? What's the athletic department balance sheet look like I wonder. We saw how he cut bait and left the football roster. PW had no chance last year. Now PW is having to do a complete rebuild from scratch. Might as well have been a first year program last year. Where is the board questioning the AD's competence. 

On a side note, I will say glad for the program and the girls playing. Sounds like the "Singers" have injected some excitement and energy back into the program. Hopefully they will have the X's and O's to back it up. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2019 at 9:47 AM, CatsBy90 said:

Our new “coaches” won’t be coaching the summer camp games. Will be relying on the middle school staff to run things. Disaster!

Well, I am glad the new leadership has decided to take the job seriously. I guess the coaching stipends from the AD did not include Summer duties. :bored: