Oakland beginning process to get field turf

fredjones

4 hours ago, Lost Old Dad said:

Was NOT just R'dale.  ALL the schools were guilty to some extent.  Folks keep forgetting before I came to work for the Judges as an investigator here, I was a Criminal Investigator for the IRS.  Most of the guilt was because of ignorance, but a couple were on par with some College programs.  For example the kick backs that some programs were getting from equipment sellers.  Funds being raised by booster clubs to provide under the table 'bonuses'.  Vehicles being made available by some boosters to Coaches and even some KIDS!  Apartments being made available so kids could claim the right zone..........................etc, etc.....

When the investigation was launched on Blackman a few years ago, I was called but could NOT help, so I sat at home and just watched like others in the county.  Shad did nothing his 'football mentor' had not done ten times over years before.

I'll go you one better LOD. I'd say that the vast majority of programs wouldn't come out of a complete audit with lily white fingers, mostly because of your before mentioned ignorance. After an intensive audit of our Ag. program (because of theft by an advisor), we chose to revamp policies and retrain our coaches and school finance dept. in order to comply with current regulations. No "wrongdoing" was suspected, nor any athletic programs audited, but after some eye opening details about some little known LAWS regarding fundraising, affiliated (chartered) booster clubs, and minors actually being in possession of the money came to light, it was clear that the "honor system" is a thing of the past, and that if you error, it needs to be on the side of caution.

Edited by tradertwo

• 4 months later...
On 1/29/2019 at 8:28 AM, Lost Old Dad said:

Oakland also had one of the best Lawyers in this county as head of its Booster Club at one time and he made sure they kept things above board and legal.  He is the main reason they have their indoor facility.

While Brad and I are not close, I really do like and more importantly RESPECT him.

It made the boys from the dale so mad to see Murfreesboro on the Oakland  uniforms in the 80’s. Oakland was Central.

17 hours ago, jimmycrackedthatcorn said:

Do you think Creasy already has a backer to fund the turf? He was always good at putting on the squeeze at Trousdale.

I could not believe how awful Oakland's field was. Very injury prone. I was not sure why they did not sod it mid season. 

The funding has to be in place before the school board okays the project is they way I read it.

On 1/28/2019 at 10:38 AM, GoPats2019 said:

It's hard to upkeep a field when you have the following using the same "grass" field...

Oakland High Varsity Football

Oakland High JV Football

Oakland High Freshman Football

Oakland High Girls Soccer

Oakland Middle Varsity Football

Oakland Middle JV Football

Oakland Youth Football League

Tell me a metro field that is getting that much use?

Thin it out...which one of those is the cash cow?

3 hours ago, GREYRIDERx said:

Thin it out...which one of those is the cash cow?

That is ALL the High Schools usage in Rutherford County.  That was the usage the School Board put on them in exchange for getting the individual school fields.  R'dale has a separate soccer field only because their boosters built it with football booster help to get them OFF the football field.

As to the next school to get turf, look at Smyrna.  The county will encourage something for that end of the county plus Nissan will probably help.  Do not look for Eagleville to get it as we do not know how much longer it will be a High School.  Look for it to be blended in to Rockvale.