Question for Union City Fans

ToothPick

19 minutes ago, ToothPick said:

Union City, those games were not exactly close, the first one was a running clock shut out and this years team maybe the best one we have had in some time.  It could have been a scheduling conflict but that doesn't add up.  We had the same date open where UC had been and UC stuck Lake in it.  Our coach made reference that it was their decision not to play.   

They may have elected not to play. But I don’t think it was cause they “had enough”. UC has not been afraid of competition. They have always been willing to play better teams and higher classification teams even if it means they taking a butt whooping. I am not a UC supporter just a very long time follower of West tn football and they definitely ain’t scared of competition. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 5:39 PM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

They may have elected not to play. But I don’t think it was cause they “had enough”. UC has not been afraid of competition. They have always been willing to play better teams and higher classification teams even if it means they taking a butt whooping. I am not a UC supporter just a very long time follower of West tn football and they definitely ain’t scared of competition. 

No one said anyone was scared and "had enough" in this case was not meant to say UC was scared.  I would be shocked if they were scared.  I was implying I think they decided to play someone they felt they had a better chance of beating and I think that would be a tall tree to climb this coming year. Playing Mayfield the past 2 years was a good learning experience for UC, especially 2 years ago.  We showed them a little different offensive approach that they don't see much of locally and it may have helped them in their playoff run they had leading to their state title that year.  I am just a arm chair QB but that is my take on it.  I might be totally wrong  but that is how it looks.  Maybe someone from UC has a different take and will chime in.  Maybe they will come back to us in 2 years,  we are only a few miles apart so it makes sense for them to play more so than a long travel

10 hours ago, ToothPick said:

No one said anyone was scared and "had enough" in this case was not meant to say UC was scared.  I would be shocked if they were scared.  I was implying I think they decided to play someone they felt they had a better chance of beating and I think that would be a tall tree to climb this coming year. Playing Mayfield the past 2 years was a good learning experience for UC, especially 2 years ago.  We showed them a little different offensive approach that they don't see much of locally and it may have helped them in their playoff run they had leading to their state title that year.  I am just a arm chair QB but that is my take on it.  I might be totally wrong  but that is how it looks.  Maybe someone from UC has a different take and will chime in.  Maybe they will come back to us in 2 years,  we are only a few miles apart so it makes sense for them to play more so than a long travel

Not sure if they are going to find easier competition in facing Lake Co this coming season. This is a Lake Co team that has been to the state semi-finals the last 2 years in 1A with primarily underclassmen playing. What it is though is a return to a good rivalry.

On 3/9/2019 at 8:28 AM, RedStateReject said:

Not sure if they are going to find easier competition in facing Lake Co this coming season. This is a Lake Co team that has been to the state semi-finals the last 2 years in 1A with primarily underclassmen playing. What it is though is a return to a good rivalry.

So your saying Lake County will be as good as Mayfield this season, and will test Union City just as much.  Its a shame that Lake County, and Mayfield ain't playing each other if that's the case.

1 hour ago, Manowar said:

So your saying Lake County will be as good as Mayfield this season, and will test Union City just as much.  Its a shame that Lake County, and Mayfield ain't playing each other if that's the case.

LC will be very good. Very different team than Mayfield. You guys sling that football around and that is a weakness of UC. They don’t see that much and so y’all are a horrible match up for them. I think they will be more competitive with LC but not because LC isn’t good. They are just a different match up. 

5 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

LC will be very good. Very different team than Mayfield. You guys sling that football around and that is a weakness of UC. They don’t see that much and so y’all are a horrible match up for them. I think they will be more competitive with LC but not because LC isn’t good. They are just a different match up. 

Well said,match ups are what football is all about !!!

On 3/8/2019 at 10:23 PM, ToothPick said:

The way I understand it was UC wanted to play later in the season . Mayfield could not accommodate. So it was dropped. UC also won’t be traveling for a big out of state game as we have the past few years. I hope they bring both things back in the future.

19 hours ago, toinemac said:

The way I understand it was UC wanted to play later in the season . Mayfield could not accommodate. So it was dropped. UC also won’t be traveling for a big out of state game as we have the past few years. I hope they bring both things back in the future.

Me too

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:18 PM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I agree but seems that playing against our style would be good for UC.  Seeing it possibly in the playoffs and having learned where your weakness is against it so you can be prepared.  Maybe the game can get brought back sometime.  Seems like Mayfield and UC get together for a 2 game series about every 20 years then wait another 20 years and go 2 more years

2 hours ago, ToothPick said:

I agree but seems that playing against our style would be good for UC.  Seeing it possibly in the playoffs and having learned where your weakness is against it so you can be prepared.  Maybe the game can get brought back sometime.  Seems like Mayfield and UC get together for a 2 game series about every 20 years then wait another 20 years and go 2 more years

I know it is a great game between two great programs. But honestly it doesn’t prepare UC for the playoffs cause there are no teams in 1A or 2A ball in TN that do what you guys do on offenses. And even if they wouldn’t come close to executing it like you guys do. It prepares UC for nothing.