Who goes to the glass house in 1A

Volsfan2000

I’m not trying to be disrespectful for anyone. But for people to still come on here and try to downplay what our teams do is ridiculous. We’ve been accused of recruiting for years now because of the fact that the school has made a push to have better athletics. I will stand by what I said about the players. Tanner Ham and Eli Hyle came here as middle schooler and freshmen respectively, and the other poster has already described the circumstance behind Eli. Gary Smith Jr is the only player on the team that actually plays that has come here after already being at another high school. When will people accept the fact that people want to come to CA, not because they’re being recruited, but because they want their child to get a good education with good people around them, and if they want, to play sports for a school that has mad strides to develop the athletics program. Marty DeJarnette is a great basketball coach and has been doing this for over 20 years. He has always done things the right way, and for people to now already discredit what he’s done because they are upset because they got beat by a private school is ridiculous. 

3 hours ago, BulldawgsRise said:

I’m not trying to be disrespectful for anyone. But for people to still come on here and try to downplay what our teams do is ridiculous. We’ve been accused of recruiting for years now because of the fact that the school has made a push to have better athletics. I will stand by what I said about the players. Tanner Ham and Eli Hyle came here as middle schooler and freshmen respectively, and the other poster has already described the circumstance behind Eli. Gary Smith Jr is the only player on the team that actually plays that has come here after already being at another high school. When will people accept the fact that people want to come to CA, not because they’re being recruited, but because they want their child to get a good education with good people around them, and if they want, to play sports for a school that has mad strides to develop the athletics program. Marty DeJarnette is a great basketball coach and has been doing this for over 20 years. He has always done things the right way, and for people to now already discredit what he’s done because they are upset because they got beat by a private school is ridiculous. 

It's not complicated. What CA does is not an even playing field with public schools. Bottom line. Really very simple. As you have acknowledged, there are multiple players who were huge pieces of your team that are not CA kids. You still have a good team without them but not a championship team. Public schools can't have a kid from Giles Co. come join the team without moving into their school zone. Facts. You have a bus that drives into other counties to pick up students. Nothing disrespectful to the players or coaches. They were there most complete single A team in the state. No doubt. Great team. Well coached. But the team was not constructed like every other team in the state. Don't try to argue around it. Just own it. Take your gold ball home. Then work hard to win another after this year while playing on an actual LEVEL PLAYING FIELD against D2 schools starting next season.

28 minutes ago, therickbol said:

It's not complicated. What CA does is not an even playing field with public schools. Bottom line. Really very simple. As you have acknowledged, there are multiple players who were huge pieces of your team that are not CA kids. You still have a good team without them but not a championship team. Public schools can't have a kid from Giles Co. come join the team without moving into their school zone. Facts. You have a bus that drives into other counties to pick up students. Nothing disrespectful to the players or coaches. They were there most complete single A team in the state. No doubt. Great team. Well coached. But the team was not constructed like every other team in the state. Don't try to argue around it. Just own it. Take your gold ball home. Then work hard to win another after this year while playing on an actual LEVEL PLAYING FIELD against D2 schools starting next season.

That’s fair enough. But people have the right to go to our school regardless of where they’re from, athlete or not. Nobody complained about us being in the public school division until we started getting good at sports. It wasn’t because we started recruiting , but it was because of the start of the youth sports programs at the school that were designed to help train the athletes to be good players when they got to high school. The players earned what that championship. They played teams that were much more talented than them this year, but they won because of a great coach, and they put aside personal success for the success of the team, and bought into Coach Dejarnettes system and wanted nothing more than a championship. 

30 minutes ago, therickbol said:

First of all congrats to CA on a great year! You showed Tennessee that you were the best in 1A this year. Second I'm tired of reading all the whining about players transfering in to play basketball. I didn't hear anyone complaining about Memphis Hamilton last year. They had 3 players that played for someone else the year before. They won 2AA last year.  The Memphis school do this ALL THE TIME. Plus basketball is different than a lot of the other sports. What I mean by this is the AAU ball. Most of the players play together or play against each other. So they might transfer a little more than in other sports. Thats just how it is.. I don't have a solution for any of this but all schools are not always going to have the same playing field. Again congrats to Columbia Academy on a great year. 

4 hours ago, BulldawgsRise said:

Y'all need to teach your students section how to be respectful but humboldt won't have to worry about y'all next year when u go to div 2 

2 hours ago, therickbol said:

The "Giles Co" kid you are referring to did move into Columbia Academy's "school zone", he lives within feet of the CA Campus. I also could be wrong but i believe he lived outside of the State before going to Giles Co. last year.

Also saying "Public schools can't have a kid.." isn't true either. Public schools all over this State including Maury County public schools have kids that don't live in their "school zone" playing or transferring in for them. One of Mt. Pleasant's starters lives in Columbia (or did last year while playing for them), Hampshire has two starters that live OUTSIDE  Maury County and one living in Columbia starting for them, there is a Culleoka zone kid playing baseball for Central while his sister still attends and plays for Culleoka, Richland had a kid that lives in Columbia on it's roster this year, Eagleville brought in their coach and his son (their best player) from Chapel Hill this year, Fayetteville's best player transferred in from Moore County, etc, etc, etc...  ALL that being said... if it all follows TSSAA rules then it's perfectly fine for public and/or private schools to do it. 

"Then work hard to win another after this year while playing on an actual LEVEL PLAYING FIELD against D2 schools starting next season."

There will definitely be some growing pains from losing the best senior class to have ever come through CA, but they will.  

Edited by Dunc4265

I am from Humboldt,proud of the Vilkings.I have to disagree with some post that ca  doesn't have the talent of other school in state tournament. Ca had maybe the best shooting team in all classes.I think they peaked at the right time,seen them play McKenzie in regular season didn't shoot the ball as well but won.Humboldt wins with defense and pushes the ball after defensive rebounds,there wasn't many opportunities  because ca shot the ball so good.I watch CA play all three games at state.No team was going to beat them this week,shooting to strong as a team.They had to many weapons  Great job CA,you deserve to win state.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Springbrookrat said:

First of all congrats to CA on a great year! You showed Tennessee that you were the best in 1A this year. Second I'm tired of reading all the whining about players transfering in to play basketball. I didn't hear anyone complaining about Memphis Hamilton last year. They had 3 players that played for someone else the year before. They won 2AA last year.  The Memphis school do this ALL THE TIME. Plus basketball is different than a lot of the other sports. What I mean by this is the AAU ball. Most of the players play together or play against each other. So they might transfer a little more than in other sports. Thats just how it is.. I don't have a solution for any of this but all schools are not always going to have the same playing field. Again congrats to Columbia Academy on a great year. 

What does Memphis schools have to do with this?

2 hours ago, BulldawgsRise said:

That’s fair enough. But people have the right to go to our school regardless of where they’re from, athlete or not. Nobody complained about us being in the public school division until we started getting good at sports. It wasn’t because we started recruiting , but it was because of the start of the youth sports programs at the school that were designed to help train the athletes to be good players when they got to high school. The players earned what that championship. They played teams that were much more talented than them this year, but they won because of a great coach, and they put aside personal success for the success of the team, and bought into Coach Dejarnettes system and wanted nothing more than a championship. 

Who was the PG? Was he there last year when yow played Humboldt?  He as the guy that took the hard fall late. He was very talented.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Who was the PG? Was he there last year when yow played Humboldt?  He as the guy that took the hard fall late. He was very talented.

Sky Polk has been at CA for years, since elementary age... great kid! He has worked his butt off to get to where he was this year. He didn’t make varsity his freshman and possibly his sophomore year, played limited action last year and stepped it up this year. 

Edited by Dunc4265
  • Like 1