Ag Center

NotSurprised

1 hour ago, mat73557 said:

From what I remember, it will only hold 10 mats.  So you'd have to stretch the timeline a bit more or something.

The schedule could easily be reworked to accommodate the TSSAA state wrestling tournament.  There is truly a great deal of down time on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  What I would do is use a raised stage much like the NCAA National Finals for the Championship Finals.  You could have the girls & A-AA begin at 4:30pm on 2 mats and the AAA & D2 begin on 2 mats at 7:00pm on Saturday.  My personal opinion is that all of the state tournaments operated by the TSSAA are not up to par compared with what most of the top states do but what the TSSAA does is all most people know.  You truly have to travel around to other states to see how behind and sometimes ahead Tennessee is compared to other states.   Now with that being said in no way do I feel the TSSAA will make an effort to upgrade the facilities or improve the overall experience of the student athletes as that would require more work & effort.  

Anyone know the cost associated with the event being at Bridgestone, Municipal Auditorium......... any other venue, any other city?”

when i looked into this 4 or 5 years ago its was 35k+

CBG you are exactly correct . I’ve  been to State tournaments in OH, GA, PA, CO,  and IN. I’ve also seen the facilities in at least 20 other states. The only thing that’s even close to TN (in a bad way). Is KY. We are currently in the bottom 5% and it isn’t even close. I guess someone has to be last.

I do need to say the quality of wresting in TN is trending up. Too bad we don’t have an appropriate facility to showcase it.

Edited by russianbear
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2019 at 2:20 PM, russianbear said:

Anyone know the cost associated with the event being at Bridgestone, Municipal Auditorium......... any other venue, any other city?”

when i looked into this 4 or 5 years ago its was 35k+

CBG you are exactly correct . I’ve  been to State tournaments in OH, GA, PA, CO,  and IN. I’ve also seen the facilities in at least 20 other states. The only thing that’s even close to TN (in a bad way). Is KY. We are currently in the bottom 5% and it isn’t even close. I guess someone has to be last.

I do need to say the quality of wresting in TN is trending up. Too bad we don’t have an appropriate facility to showcase it.

The reason that Tennessee does not have an appropriate facility to showcase the state wrestling tournament is a direct result of a group of people (TSSAA) not being business people and willing to understand that a nicer facility and placing everyone back together in one division would drive up revenues.  

2 hours ago, cbg said:

The reason that Tennessee does not have an appropriate facility to showcase the state wrestling tournament is a direct result of a group of people (TSSAA) not being business people and willing to understand that a nicer facility and placing everyone back together in one division would drive up revenues.  

CBG I completely agree with you. I suppose I've been trying to say this (among other things) for years but you worded it perfectly. I've yet to hear of any other state losing money by hosting it at a true sports arena. In fact I would love to see how much every other states makes off the tournament as compared to TN.

You are also correct that you can do this at the Murphy Center. 

Sometimes (in fact most times) being cheap has an adverse affect.

Edited by russianbear
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, russianbear said:

CBG I completely agree with you. I suppose I've been trying to say this (among other things) for years but you worded it perfectly. I've yet to hear of any other state losing money by hosting it at a true sports arena. In fact I would love to see how much every other states makes off the tournament as compared to TN.

You are also correct that you can do this at the Murphy Center. 

Sometimes (in fact most times) being cheap has an adverse affect.

Murphy Center would be a nice facility but Municipal Auditorium would be even better due to the "walk up" crowd that it would attract.  By having the event where there are other entertainment options people would go to the state tournament and when it was over they could go listen to live music.  I know that it would cost more for parking in Downtown Nashville but it's not like people don't pay to park every weekend when the go downtown.  

3 hours ago, cbg said:

Murphy Center would be a nice facility but Municipal Auditorium would be even better due to the "walk up" crowd that it would attract.  By having the event where there are other entertainment options people would go to the state tournament and when it was over they could go listen to live music.  I know that it would cost more for parking in Downtown Nashville but it's not like people don't pay to park every weekend when the go downtown.  

I would vote for that venue. It could bring revenue to Nashville and Nashville business in turn can advertise it in their establishments. 

Edited by Hamblin
  • Upvote 1