Ag Center

NotSurprised

It is my understanding that the Ag center is going to remodel this summer and pour concrete inside and add locker rooms with showers.  They are doing so many multipurpose events there now and are starting to get booked year round with those events but they are having to keep their prices low because of the dirt.  So they know they will make a lot more money once they move away from the ag events. 

Also, the AG center isn’t free and certainly isn’t cheap right now.  I’m not sure what they are charging TSSAA and I’m sure it’s much less than similar venues but it’s not free I can guarantee you that. 

What  will be interesting is if after the remodel and their prices go up if the TSSAA stays there.  My guess is they will.  The location and venue are just too great. 

As for attendance, the only way you fix that is to go to single all divisions tourney for the individuals.   You do that then we could sell out Bridgestone. 

Edited by durdon
  • Like 1

"As for attendance, the only way you fix that is to go to single all divisions tourney for the individuals.   You do that then we could sell out Bridgestone. "

Seeing as I currently have no kin folk in any TSSAA sports and I'm not currently coaching anywhere and truthfully don't have a vested interested in any current programs I haven't attended the State Tournament in a couple of years. However, if what I copy/pasted above would ever happen, I would never miss the event. I'm sure I'm in the minority but I'd pay $100 plus for an all tournament ticket.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, durdon said:

It is my understanding that the Ag center is going to remodel this summer and pour concrete inside and add locker rooms with showers.  They are doing so many multipurpose events there now and are starting to get booked year round with those events but they are having to keep their prices low because of the dirt.  So they know they will make a lot more money once they move away from the ag events. 

Also, the AG center isn’t free and certainly isn’t cheap right now.  I’m not sure what they are charging TSSAA and I’m sure it’s much less than similar venues but it’s not free I can guarantee you that. 

What  will be interesting is if after the remodel and their prices go up if the TSSAA stays there.  My guess is they will.  The location and venue are just too great. 

As for attendance, the only way you fix that is to go to single all divisions tourney for the individuals.   You do that then we could sell out Bridgestone. 

I mean the finals would be great and I'm all for getting behind that idea but to think having one division would up attendance probably is wrong. As it stands we have 18 medalists in each weight class. If you cut that to one division it cuts that number by 2/3. That's 2/3 less families staying for medal rounds, buying concessions, parking, buying tickets etc etc. Adding another division wasn't for the benefit of the wrestlers, it was solely so T$$AA could increase profits by adding more butts in the seats.

Edited by WrestlingGod

1 hour ago, WrestlingGod said:

I mean the finals would be great and I'm all for getting behind that idea but to think having one division would up attendance probably is wrong. As it stands we have 18 medalists in each weight class. If you cut that to one division it cuts that number by 2/3. That's 2/3 less families staying for medal rounds, buying concessions, parking, buying tickets etc etc. Adding another division wasn't for the benefit of the wrestlers, it was solely so T$$AA could increase profits by adding more butts in the seats.

We'll, I don't think it worked very well for them, because even with 3 times amount of kids they'd still don't have the attendance that UTC did at McClellan when they only had D1 there and D2 was somewhere else. The location at AG Center is great but for some reason no one wants to go there to actually watch. Heck they also have the girls there and still can't have great attendance, so it can either be location isn't as great as people think or people don't won't to watch it at Cow Palace. I think Murphy Center would be s good place to have it also and they already have then basketball there And used to have the volleyball there, so MTSU knows TSSAA pretty well. 

36 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

We'll, I don't think it worked very well for them, because even with 3 times amount of kids they'd still don't have the attendance that UTC did at McClellan when they only had D1 there and D2 was somewhere else. The location at AG Center is great but for some reason no one wants to go there to actually watch. Heck they also have the girls there and still can't have great attendance, so it can either be location isn't as great as people think or people don't won't to watch it at Cow Palace. I think Murphy Center would be s good place to have it also and they already have then basketball there And used to have the volleyball there, so MTSU knows TSSAA pretty well. 

There may be some that enjoy the sport of wrestling as much as me, but I'd seriously doubt that anyone enjoys it more than me. Not quite sure what it is, but to be blunt, the atmosphere at the Cow Palace sucks. Maybe it's having separate Divisions. Maybe it's the inability to see from one side of the arena to the other. Maybe it's the way the arena is designed (it's designed to view animal shows). Maybe it's smaller crowds. It's probably a combination of all that, but whatever it is, there is no comparison to the atmosphere at the Cow Palace and any other State Tournament at an arena. I suppose it's better than nothing.

Edited by Newestguy

With all the trolls that have popped up over the last month or so, I can't tell who is being serious or who is just playing around.

-   But for real now,  who seriously would ever use the word "great" to describe that venue? I have been a few years to watch and have never really enjoyed the seating, but this year hit an all time low.  I made it down to the floor and actually walked across the mats- mid step I felt like I had tripped over something and began to fall!  Luckily though, 30 years ago I could describe myself as an athlete and I guess I still got it because I was able to regain my balance before actually hitting the ground.  I'll be turning 50 this year, so my natural first thought was wow I must be really getting old! That may have been the case, but then a kid who had watched me stumble (I believe he wrestled for Heritage - a very polite young man) said to me that I needed to be careful down there- the dirt floor under the mats isn't  always level and there are a lot of mounds under the mats that can trip you....

I thought he was joking, but then I walked back over the area and I could clearly feel the dirt mound that almost scored 2 on me!  Who knows how many matches over the years have been decided by that floor! .... is this really the best we can do as a state?

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:50 AM, Newestguy said:

"As for attendance, the only way you fix that is to go to single all divisions tourney for the individuals.   You do that then we could sell out Bridgestone. "

Seeing as I currently have no kin folk in any TSSAA sports and I'm not currently coaching anywhere and truthfully don't have a vested interested in any current programs I haven't attended the State Tournament in a couple of years. However, if what I copy/pasted above would ever happen, I would never miss the event. I'm sure I'm in the minority but I'd pay $100 plus for an all tournament ticket.

I totally agree with you on placing everyone back together for one big individual state tournament.  However, I do not believe that will ever happen because someone's LITTLE JOHNNY would have to really work to just make it to the state tournament.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, slapdamat said:

Just a point of ref.... Ohio, 5 sessions $15 each session.... or advance purchase $75 lower bowl or $55 upper for an all session pass.

Ohio is exactly who I was talking about.  And they have fans.  Real fans.  They could have the Ohio State Tournament in a literal pig sty and tons of people would still line up and pay decent money to get inside.

10 hours ago, wrestler04 said:

Ohio is exactly who I was talking about.  And they have fans.  Real fans.  They could have the Ohio State Tournament in a literal pig sty and tons of people would still line up and pay decent money to get inside.

and every year, here, people complain about the $10 for all day pass at the state tournament and $5.00 for parking, food, so it's not just the venue, there were complaints when it was in Chatt. about the amount charged and parking, food etc, etc, etc....... same story different year..... anyone have a solution?

Are fans here in Tennessee willing to pay by session a fee, or $75-$100 for an all session pass?  I would..... but I'm just 1 person........  

Anyone know the cost associated with the event being at Bridgestone, Municipal Auditorium......... any other venue, any other city? 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, slapdamat said:

and every year, here, people complain about the $10 for all day pass at the state tournament and $5.00 for parking, food, so it's not just the venue, there were complaints when it was in Chatt. about the amount charged and parking, food etc, etc, etc....... same story different year..... anyone have a solution?

Are fans here in Tennessee willing to pay by session a fee, or $75-$100 for an all session pass?  I would..... but I'm just 1 person........  

Anyone know the cost associated with the event being at Bridgestone, Municipal Auditorium......... any other venue, any other city? 

I was told two years ago that Metro Davidson County would lease Municipal Auditorium to the TSSAA for less than $15,000.00