East Hickman

ocac

4 hours ago, ocac said:

Why Yes, yes I did. I even said it out loud.  When the culture of a program is as bad as it has been at East Hickman, then the culture needs to be fixed.  Get the kids out and wins will probably follow, in due time.  Not right away.  Notice I did not say the "new coach" should not worry about wins.  Coaches always worry about wins. That is a given.  People in Lyles, Wrigley, Bon Aqua & the occasional kid from Santa Fe that may cross the border need to worry about their child being in a good culture.  

They haven't had a bad culture, just poor coaching/leadership which lead to mass exodus. It also doesn't help when you have a generation of youth that doesn't want to put in the work it takes to be successful. They had enough talent the last few years, especially the year before last, that they should have won a lot more games than they did. I guess we will see if this new coach can get them to buy into his program and become good teammates , because a good teammate will play any position the coach needs him to play, not just the one he wants to play. They have a pretty good young group and could have a decent senior class (if they come back), lets just hope this coach uses the talent that he has more efficiently. 

17 hours ago, BAMABOY72 said:

They haven't had a bad culture, just poor coaching/leadership which lead to mass exodus. It also doesn't help when you have a generation of youth that doesn't want to put in the work it takes to be successful. They had enough talent the last few years, especially the year before last, that they should have won a lot more games than they did. I guess we will see if this new coach can get them to buy into his program and become good teammates , because a good teammate will play any position the coach needs him to play, not just the one he wants to play. They have a pretty good young group and could have a decent senior class (if they come back), lets just hope this coach uses the talent that he has more efficiently. 

Poor coaching/leadership, mass exodus, and kids unwilling to work toward their own success are all outward signs of a "bad culture". Seems to me that you are confusing culture and talent, as that was what you based your expectations upon. 

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:10 AM, tradertwo said:

Poor coaching/leadership, mass exodus, and kids unwilling to work toward their own success are all outward signs of a "bad culture". Seems to me that you are confusing culture and talent, as that was what you based your expectations upon. 

No I do not confuse the two, I just don't buy into the new generation blaming everything on "A Bad Culture" , the only time they have had issues was last year when all the upper classmen quit, was it a bad culture maybe , but it was definitely poor coaching. I guess being old school and a veteran, I don't throw that word around so loosely, because from my experience, one mans misery is sometimes another's paradise, I have also heard that phrase thrown around in the work place and it is usually just one or two, so I just fire them and move on, again perception. I have been around this program for quite a few years and all of their problems can be corrected with some good coaching and discipline, they have definitely had enough talent to be competitive, much more competitive than the records posted above, now no one is expecting them to be world beaters, but they could have and should have been much better, quite a few of those years, this reaches way past the most recent coaching.

On 2/21/2019 at 3:17 PM, BAMABOY72 said:

You cannot have it both ways BamaBoy.  You cannot say the kids are at fault because they don't want to work and not call it a bad culture. That is part of the bad culture.  You cannot call it lousing coaching and it not be part of a bad culture.  You are insinuating that kids have quit because they don't want to play a specific position.  That would equal part of a bad culture.  When everyone is not on the same page, it breeds bad culturism (is that even a word?) But, it sounds good.  HaHa! You seem to be invested in this program.  I hope it gets better for everyone involved.  Your new coach is a 1st class individual with a ton of coaching talent.  I can only hope the East Hickman faithful will give him a chance and provide him with a great environment and parental support.

Edited by RPO1

3 hours ago, RPO1 said:

You cannot have it both ways BamaBoy.  You cannot say the kids are at fault because they don't want to work and not call it a bad culture. That is part of the bad culture.  You cannot call it lousing coaching and it not be part of a bad culture.  You are insinuating that kids have quit because they don't want to play a specific position.  That would equal part of a bad culture.  When everyone is not on the same page, it breeds bad culturism (is that even a word?) But, it sounds good.  HaHa! You seem to be invested in this program.  I hope it gets better for everyone involved.  Your new coach is a 1st class individual with a ton of coaching talent.  I can only hope the East Hickman faithful will give him a chance and provide him with a great environment and parental support.

They are all at fault , CULTURE is a very big word, that again is all about perception, for instance some would say that the younger generations CULTURE is more of entitlement and that most of them are not capable of doing what it takes to be high achievers, but again that is perception based on a few, not all. Great leadership (coaching) can change that perception in a hurry. So I am not trying to have it both ways, I just do not agree with the assessment. You can't show me any team in any sport that has been coached as poorly as EHHS Football has been the last 5-6 years that doesn't have a lack of interest. Kids have to much to do these days to be a part of anything that has no chance of success. They have a lot of good kids, but they have never had a real leader/coach.. IMO So I hope this new coach comes in and helps these young men reach their full potential, because they deserve it, but it wont happen, unless he is willing to enforce some discipline  and weed out the ones that are not willing to be good teammates. I have been invested for quite a few years, but those days are over, I will just continue to watch from a distance and hope it improves.

13 minutes ago, BAMABOY72 said:

They are all at fault , CULTURE is a very big word, that again is all about perception, for instance some would say that the younger generations CULTURE is more of entitlement and that most of them are not capable of doing what it takes to be high achievers, but again that is perception based on a few, not all. Great leadership (coaching) can change that perception in a hurry. So I am not trying to have it both ways, I just do not agree with the assessment. You can't show me any team in any sport that has been coached as poorly as EHHS Football has been the last 5-6 years that doesn't have a lack of interest. Kids have to much to do these days to be a part of anything that has no chance of success. They have a lot of good kids, but they have never had a real leader/coach.. IMO So I hope this new coach comes in and helps these young men reach their full potential, because they deserve it, but it wont happen, unless he is willing to enforce some discipline  and weed out the ones that are not willing to be good teammates. I have been invested for quite a few years, but those days are over, I will just continue to watch from a distance and hope it improves.

Bama you are right. Culture is just another buzz word butt kissing ad men want to use.

6 hours ago, LETMETELLYOUWHAT said:

Bama you are right. Culture is just another buzz word butt kissing ad men want to use.

Since the meaning and interpretation of the word "culture" has taken center stage of our discussion, we might as well get it right... as a noun, one of three definitions listed says that it means the manifestations of human achievement regarded collectively. As a verb it means to maintain conditions suitable for growth. In my opinion, both are on point for what I intended.

Some of the better 1A/2A football teams that I have seen do not rely on gifted athletes to win games, but consist of eleven kids who are competent at completing their assignments on every play. That is achieved with good coaching (discipline), kids (and parents) buying in to their coaches system, kids putting the team's best interests ahead of their personal goals, and the willingness to work hard during practice towards being a better TEAM, not just a better player... that's what I call "good culture". You say that all the problems can be corrected with good coaching and discipline, and I say that's just another way to say changing the culture.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BAMABOY72 said:

Actually, East Hickman has had a couple of very good coaches in the past.  Frank King and Matt Jones.  Both were in tough situations, but both are/were very good coaches.  I think King actually won a playoff game and beat Hickman a couple of times.