Adamsville and Scotts Hill fight

Macnarry

2 hours ago, RealisticFan45 said:

Was the kid that had the seizure actually one of the kids fighting? Just asking, with my experience around people that have a history of seizures, they are triggered by anger and excitement. So, just because a kid had a seizure doesn't mean he or she was part of the fight. Also, i HEARD they had a confrontation last season as well, not sure how true that is, so it may not be as healthy as we think. In these instances, i like to know what actually started the fight. In the Memphis videos you can actually see on a couple of them how the fights started. The video I saw of this one, i could only see a big crowd of people fighting. I agree with both sides above though, the fight and the punishment does matter, but neither team was in the position to make any type of tournament run as long as SS, NS and Chester are in that district and healthy. Just being honest

Thank you for being respectful. The kid having the seizure was involved in the fight. I don't believe that there was a confrontation last season, and if so, it was definitely not physical. I have a strong opinion on who's actions started the fight, and I know without question who threw the opening punches, but you'll have to allow me to reserve that until after the investigation, and I believe that it will be made clear without my opinion at that time. The fight matters, because to the general public, both schools are now known as "the teams involved in a brawl", regardless of the circumstances, and to their fanbases because of the mutual respect and great sportsmanship shown to each other by both in the past. I will agree that neither team has the potential to upset the applecart and alter the top district/region tournament results, but the actions of one or two people shouldn't result in a fight being the last time those seniors will wear their respective jerseys.

Some things that I will give my opinion on...

The two head coaches are very good friends, having grown up, played, and coached together at Adamsville. Scotts Hill's current assistant coach is the son of former Adamsville Coach, and current McNairy County Director of Schools. Our former football coach and his offensive coordinator were at Adamsville previously, and our recently hired head coach was their head baseball coach, and football defensive coordinator for the past ten seasons, who still teaches two courses there in the mornings, and drives over in the afternoons for football here. Add to all that the fact that it was senior night. Long way to say that emotions were at their peak, it was a close game, and there was a critical non call from the ref's in the last second or two of the game. One person lost their cool (IMO), and everybody knows the end result.

TSSAA needs to re-evaluate these situations. Penalizing programs and schools is not the correct way to go about this. #1 like is stated above, the kid can transfer and then the school/program is what truly suffers. Aside from that though, coaches and programs should not be what pays the ultimate price in these situations. Here is my reasoning: 

Coaches and whole teams should not be penalized for a 16/17 year old losing their cool for 45 seconds when in all reality, the coach could be doing EVERYTHING right. They could kick the kid off the team the next day, and it still does not take away what happened. Most of the times, the coach is not pushing this behavior. I think it is wrong to penalize the coach and/or the whole teams. 

Another example...if a kid starts a fight then quits the team the next day, who pays? The coach and the teammates. That is not right. These fights need to be put back on the individual kids and adults that are involved. If a kid is involved in a fight, make it an eligibility issue, no different than a suspension or a transfer. Make it an eligibility issue and deal with it harshly. If involved in a fight, 10 game suspension (no questions asked), but can be reviewed upon appeal by the TSSAA board. Either way, if involved the kid will serve some type of suspension. 

The TSSAA should create a board of coaches and administrators from all areas of the state. Have that board of coaches and administrators come up with a policy that can be applied in these situations. Let that board be who hears appeals, etc. This will add consistency to the situation that has been missing in previous events like this one. 

In reality, there is no easy way to deal with these situations, but post season bans on the entire team, several of which are not involved, is not working and is not the right way to deal with it. Penalize the team in other ways. Penalize the players individually. Have a group of people create the rule that the whole state will follow and MOST IMPORTANTLY, BE CONSISTENT!!!

53 minutes ago, Play 4 Fun said:

TSSAA needs to re-evaluate these situations. Penalizing programs and schools is not the correct way to go about this. #1 like is stated above, the kid can transfer and then the school/program is what truly suffers. Aside from that though, coaches and programs should not be what pays the ultimate price in these situations. Here is my reasoning: 

Coaches and whole teams should not be penalized for a 16/17 year old losing their cool for 45 seconds when in all reality, the coach could be doing EVERYTHING right. They could kick the kid off the team the next day, and it still does not take away what happened. Most of the times, the coach is not pushing this behavior. I think it is wrong to penalize the coach and/or the whole teams. 

Another example...if a kid starts a fight then quits the team the next day, who pays? The coach and the teammates. That is not right. These fights need to be put back on the individual kids and adults that are involved. If a kid is involved in a fight, make it an eligibility issue, no different than a suspension or a transfer. Make it an eligibility issue and deal with it harshly. If involved in a fight, 10 game suspension (no questions asked), but can be reviewed upon appeal by the TSSAA board. Either way, if involved the kid will serve some type of suspension. 

The TSSAA should create a board of coaches and administrators from all areas of the state. Have that board of coaches and administrators come up with a policy that can be applied in these situations. Let that board be who hears appeals, etc. This will add consistency to the situation that has been missing in previous events like this one. 

In reality, there is no easy way to deal with these situations, but post season bans on the entire team, several of which are not involved, is not working and is not the right way to deal with it. Penalize the team in other ways. Penalize the players individually. Have a group of people create the rule that the whole state will follow and MOST IMPORTANTLY, BE CONSISTENT!!!

Great post!  100% on point 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

All schools should be treated the same if the circumstances are the same. 

The schools are the ones that get hurt. In Memphis, the kids will transfer and the coaches will leave to go somewhere else to coach and the schools are on the hook for the ban. 

but did you see those thugs and criminals on that Adamsville/Scotts Hill video?