Upperman 2019

On 5/14/2019 at 10:29 AM, dragonrider said:

How did scrimmage with Stone go?

The format of the scrimmage was more focused on working on multiple aspects than typical "game" action.  Started off with 7 on 7 for the backs and receivers while the lineman went one on one.  Then went to eight man with the backs and lineman while the wr's and db's worked on red zone stuff.  During the team session, they ran six plays with the ones and six with the twos and then switched O and D.  Whistles were quick.  My observations for Upperman were:

The o line held up well. With some new faces and a key starter in street clothes, they were able to move the ball.  There were some busts, but overall they were a positive.

The defense will be the strength of the team.  The key to Samber's offense is to generate splash plays but they didn't have any breakaways against the one's and two's.  When Upperman emptied the bench, Stone did have a couple of plays that would have scored.

The offensive timing looked a little off.  Probably due to new faces in new places and some of the spring sports guys just getting out.  QB had to hold the ball a little too long some times, receivers ending up in the same spot, that kind of thing.  Good thing they've got some time to work the bugs out.

From your name, looks like you may be a YAI fan.  How have they looked?

10 hours ago, VictoryFormation said:

The format of the scrimmage was more focused on working on multiple aspects than typical "game" action.  Started off with 7 on 7 for the backs and receivers while the lineman went one on one.  Then went to eight man with the backs and lineman while the wr's and db's worked on red zone stuff.  During the team session, they ran six plays with the ones and six with the twos and then switched O and D.  Whistles were quick.  My observations for Upperman were:

The o line held up well. With some new faces and a key starter in street clothes, they were able to move the ball.  There were some busts, but overall they were a positive.

The defense will be the strength of the team.  The key to Samber's offense is to generate splash plays but they didn't have any breakaways against the one's and two's.  When Upperman emptied the bench, Stone did have a couple of plays that would have scored.

The offensive timing looked a little off.  Probably due to new faces in new places and some of the spring sports guys just getting out.  QB had to hold the ball a little too long some times, receivers ending up in the same spot, that kind of thing.  Good thing they've got some time to work the bugs out.

From your name, looks like you may be a YAI fan.  How have they looked?

Haven't seen them yet.  Heard they cancelled their scrimmage because they have had so many in track and baseball.  

Just got home from the UHS scrimmage vs Kingston at TN Tech. Takeaways:

Starting Defense: The UHS defense is the strength of the team. They looked sound, filling their spots. They have several returning starters on the front seven, and McCallister is a high-level safety. The biggest ? Is at corner. They appear to be trying out a few different players to see who sticks. It will be extremely hard to move the ball against them, maybe even more so than last year.

Starting Offense: The Bees live and die by McCallister. I expect him to be in the Mr. Football conversation at the end of this season. He looks like he has put on some weight and can throw better than anyone else in Region 4. He’s also likely to be the leading rusher. Expect him to dominate in the regular season. Looks like Stewart will get the bulk of carries. He was the back up last year and I would say he is a serviceable starter but obviously not Metzgar from last year. The line has several returners, and are strong as ever. 

Depth: There are some decent players but definitely a drop off. Kingston scored all their points against the backups. 

Outlook: 

Sorry York and Sequatchie, this team is the favorite in Region 4. Their defense will likely give up less than 10 points a game and McCallister is the best player in the district. Plus they are in the second year of Caine’s system. With Cookeville still down this year I expect this team to go 10-0 again and won’t be surprised at all if they are making the drive to Alcoa in the semifinals. I’ve heard AHS is slightly down but I don’t know that for sure at all, but the Bees were a bad onside kick call away from having a chance to play in Cookeville. They are legit. 

13 hours ago, HC116 said:

Just got home from the UHS scrimmage vs Kingston at TN Tech. Takeaways:

Starting Defense: The UHS defense is the strength of the team. They looked sound, filling their spots. They have several returning starters on the front seven, and McCallister is a high-level safety. The biggest ? Is at corner. They appear to be trying out a few different players to see who sticks. It will be extremely hard to move the ball against them, maybe even more so than last year.

Starting Offense: The Bees live and die by McCallister. I expect him to be in the Mr. Football conversation at the end of this season. He looks like he has put on some weight and can throw better than anyone else in Region 4. He’s also likely to be the leading rusher. Expect him to dominate in the regular season. Looks like Stewart will get the bulk of carries. He was the back up last year and I would say he is a serviceable starter but obviously not Metzgar from last year. The line has several returners, and are strong as ever. 

Depth: There are some decent players but definitely a drop off. Kingston scored all their points against the backups. 

Outlook: 

Sorry York and Sequatchie, this team is the favorite in Region 4. Their defense will likely give up less than 10 points a game and McCallister is the best player in the district. Plus they are in the second year of Caine’s system. With Cookeville still down this year I expect this team to go 10-0 again and won’t be surprised at all if they are making the drive to Alcoa in the semifinals. I’ve heard AHS is slightly down but I don’t know that for sure at all, but the Bees were a bad onside kick call away from having a chance to play in Cookeville. They are legit. 

Couple of points:

McCallister didn't play basketball this past season and went through winter workouts and does look stronger.  Also, one of the CB's from Monday's scrimmage was in street clothes last night, so was some shuffling at that position.

Might want to slow the roll on 10-0 a bit.  Could happen, but Cookeville has a lot back and has twice as many players, coaches, resources, etc. and can beat a team like Upperman on sheer numbers alone.  LA has a good QB to build around. Squatch and YAI will be competitive and Grundy and Cannon are in their second year under new regimes and will probably see improvement.  Smith is a bit of a wild card with a new coach.  Watertown and Oneida are good programs and I'm not sure what Dekalb will have.  There look to be some toss-ups on the schedule.

Oh yeah, probably shouldn't have mentioned the onside.  Once you crack that door, will probably be somebody looking to kick it down, LOL.

13 hours ago, HC116 said:

Outlook: 

Sorry York and Sequatchie, this team is the favorite in Region 4. Their defense will likely give up less than 10 points a game and McCallister is the best player in the district. Plus they are in the second year of Caine’s system.  won’t be surprised at all if they are making the drive to Alcoa in the semifinals. I’ve heard AHS is slightly down but I don’t know that for sure at all,  . 

Agree with most of this, except the bold part. Alcoa will be better at every position except maybe one. First part of the schedule will be really tough, but I expect the tornadoes to peak in the playoffs this year.

Upperman is well coached and I have a soft spot for the school and Putnam county. Hope to see them in the Semis.

2 hours ago, 32hammer said:

Agree with most of this, except the bold part. Alcoa will be better at every position except maybe one. First part of the schedule will be really tough, but I expect the tornadoes to peak in the playoffs this year.

Upperman is well coached and I have a soft spot for the school and Putnam county. Hope to see them in the Semis.

I honestly have no idea on the AHS front, just repeating what I heard. I always expect Alcoa to be in it in the end, would be a fool to think that stopped now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VictoryFormation said:

Couple of points:

McCallister didn't play basketball this past season and went through winter workouts and does look stronger.  Also, one of the CB's from Monday's scrimmage was in street clothes last night, so was some shuffling at that position.

Might want to slow the roll on 10-0 a bit.  Could happen, but Cookeville has a lot back and has twice as many players, coaches, resources, etc. and can beat a team like Upperman on sheer numbers alone.  LA has a good QB to build around. Squatch and YAI will be competitive and Grundy and Cannon are in their second year under new regimes and will probably see improvement.  Smith is a bit of a wild card with a new coach.  Watertown and Oneida are good programs and I'm not sure what Dekalb will have.  There look to be some toss-ups on the schedule.

Oh yeah, probably shouldn't have mentioned the onside.  Once you crack that door, will probably be somebody looking to kick it down, LOL.

Cookeville has a big QB problem. Having a guy starting that hasn’t taken a snap against the UHS defense will be tough on a lot of levels. Caine is running a better program at the moment than Cookeville. Your point about sheer numbers is certainly valid and could be true, but UHS has about 40 kids and has some depth on the lines where it is really important.

Squatch and York are definitely the threats to UHS in the District. The other teams... not so much. They haven’t gotten 30 points better compared to UHS which they would have to to make up the gap. The Bee offense won’t be as explosive, but the defense will be. Grundy, Cannon and Smith won’t be able to hang in 2019 imo. Oneida is an interesting game, not sure what they have coming back but I’ll take the strong UHS defense.

I don’t think it’ll be as easy of a road to 10-0 again this year, but I think it happens.