We need SHOT CLOCKS asap!

FBfan26

15 hours ago, dmm88 said:

I have mixed emotions on this: I want it, because I think teams need to play at a fast, controlled tempo on occasions, BUT at the same time, the smaller schools with no depth wouldn't have a chance anymore. Pros and cons to it.

Pros and cons yes but alot of people feel that international ball kids is better because the start of with the clock at a young age and know how to run a offense with it. Small schools have alot of say so. That's why we have this split in fb and to many classes as it is.

Edited by FBfan26

1 hour ago, old24eagle said:

EXACTLY! whos gonna pay for em and whos gonna run em? I see it at least every other game, the parent who is running the clock for free admission and a hot dog screws something up on accident and the refs spend 10 minutes fixing it. Also can you imagine the uproar about the ball touching the rim and no reset or vice versa! I wouldnt want to be the person doing that job!

That's a legitimate question

5 hours ago, old24eagle said:

EXACTLY! whos gonna pay for em and whos gonna run em? I see it at least every other game, the parent who is running the clock for free admission and a hot dog screws something up on accident and the refs spend 10 minutes fixing it. Also can you imagine the uproar about the ball touching the rim and no reset or vice versa! I wouldnt want to be the person doing that job!

My point exactly

No shot clock needed, officials can't handle anything else to rule/enforce.  If the TSSAA is going to expend energy and money it should be on improving the ranks of officials.

More officials training, more feedback/review of officials with more pay following positive performance reviews through regular game evaluations.

^^^^^^^^THIS WOULD IMPROVE THE GAME- For players, coaches and fans, not a shot clock.

12 hours ago, TBALLEXPERT said:

No shot clock needed, officials can't handle anything else to rule/enforce.  If the TSSAA is going to expend energy and money it should be on improving the ranks of officials.

More officials training, more feedback/review of officials with more pay following positive performance reviews through regular game evaluations.

^^^^^^^^THIS WOULD IMPROVE THE GAME- For players, coaches and fans, not a shot clock.

AMEN! I've said this for years for all High School sports. Train em better , pay em better , retain the good ones fire the bad ones. You're not gonna get or keep quality officials for the pay they make and the abuse they take every game.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 1:47 PM, FBfan26 said:

Pros and cons yes but alot of people feel that international ball kids is better because the start of with the clock at a young age and know how to run a offense with it. Small schools have alot of say so. That's why we have this split in fb and to many classes as it is.

Who says international kids are better at basketball that U.S kids? 

Basketball is pretty insignificant around the world except for a very few elite, pre-identified people. 

In other countries, kids are identified (height, weight, strength, speed etc...) at an early age for various sports and then pushed that way. American kids in general play way more organized sports than kids in Asia and Europe.  

Plus the last time the USA did something to keep up with the rest of the world we screwed things up pretty bad. I'm talking about education. Why do the same thing with sports? We set the bar when it comes to basketball and basketball. No need to lower ourselves to the international level.

Defensive strategy plays a big part in determining the pace of a game. No shot clock should be needed with the five second rule (in my opinion), because the defense has the option to press the issue. I've seen a couple or three games where one team held the ball, and the other team was content to allow it... the final score was 11- 12 in one of those, but that's not what we're talking about. The NBA and NCAA run shot clocks because offense sells tickets and TV time, and the commercialization of sports is big business. The spirit of the game is two five man teams and strategy... if you're good at being patient and getting a higher percentage shot, it's up to the other guys to counter, or lose. Dean Smith perfected the four corners offense, and the NCAA intervened with the shot clock because of pressure from the networks.

• Upvote 1

On 2/13/2019 at 9:08 AM, jvaughan said:

https://www.usab.com/mens/u18/history.aspx

USA basketball's U18 team has been struggling against international competition....

59-2 is struggling?

Team USA from 16-19-year-olds overall record is  W 212-L 16 

U19 W91-L14

U18 W59-L2

U17 W37-L0

U16 W25-L0

How is that struggling?

Edited by warmachine7954

20 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Defensive strategy plays a big part in determining the pace of a game. No shot clock should be needed with the five second rule (in my opinion), because the defense has the option to press the issue. I've seen a couple or three games where one team held the ball, and the other team was content to allow it... the final score was 11- 12 in one of those, but that's not what we're talking about. The NBA and NCAA run shot clocks because offense sells tickets and TV time, and the commercialization of sports is big business. The spirit of the game is two five man teams and strategy... if you're good at being patient and getting a higher percentage shot, it's up to the other guys to counter, or lose. Dean Smith perfected the four corners offense, and the NCAA intervened with the shot clock because of pressure from the networks.

Good post.No shot clocks needed,learn to play defense.Go back to teaching fundamentals.NBA is ruining the sport.I love watching well coached fundamental high school basketball,the playground stuff kills me.JMO tho.