We need SHOT CLOCKS asap!

FBfan26

Lots of kids struggle at the next level when they have to play with a shot clock. Kids that come from a very slow paced high school and then they have 30 sec to score. It causes some to lose playing time. Talk about colleges going to he 24 sec clock. Some high schools play with a shot clock. It's needed in high school in large way.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, UTRok said:

Lots of kids struggle at the next level when they have to play with a shot clock. Kids that come from a very slow paced high school and then they have 30 sec to score. It causes some to lose playing time. Talk about colleges going to he 24 sec clock. Some high schools play with a shot clock. It's needed in high school in large way.

This may be the dumbest thing I've heard in defense of a shot clock in high school.

College coaches don't look at kids and say to their staff... "You know what? Let's pass of this kid because his state doesn't use a shot clock. I don't think he'll adjust to the shot clock at the college level."

Nevermind that they adjust to the speed, size, new offense, new defense, amount of new plays, travel, new coaches, new teammates, college life etc... but they can't adjust to :30. Give me a break.

This time of year is always the worst when it comes to the shot clock is needed posts. I see it on Twitter from the basketball guys I follow all the time. A video gets posted of a team with the ball on their hip and everyone standing around. Or there is a newspaper article of a game that has a final score of 11-10 and it mentions how the winning team held the ball for minutes at a time. IMO, if you have to depend on a clock to get the ball back from a team, you just might not be better than them.

1 hour ago, warmachine7954 said:

This may be the dumbest thing I've heard in defense of a shot clock in high school.

College coaches don't look at kids and say to their staff... "You know what? Let's pass of this kid because his state doesn't use a shot clock. I don't think he'll adjust to the shot clock at the college level."

Nevermind that they adjust to the speed, size, new offense, new defense, amount of new plays, travel, new coaches, new teammates, college life etc... but they can't adjust to :30. Give me a break.

Exactly correct just look at the rate of transfer in college. 7-800 transfer out of D1. Speed of the game being one of the major reasons. Shot clock being one of those reasons. Didn't say anything about it effecting recruiting. With the rate of transfers from all levels in college many do not adjuster to the speed of the game or new offense. This is documented year in and out. The closer the game is to the college game the easier it will be to transition to the college game. Sorry those fact escape you Einstein.

Edited by UTRok

44 minutes ago, UTRok said:

Exactly correct just look at the rate of transfer in college. 7-800 transfer out of D1. Speed of the game being one of the major reasons. Shot clock being one of those reasons. Didn't say anything about it effecting recruiting. With the rate of transfers from all levels in college many do not adjuster to the speed of the game or new offense. This is documented year in and out. The closer the game is to the college game the easier it will be to transition to the college game. Sorry those fact escape you Einstein.

The speed of the game doesn't mean the pace of the game. Those are two different things.

Transfers out of D1 happen for many reasons. Level of play, playing time, hardships and a myriad of other things. Not having a shot clock in high school isn't one of them. They're gonna get it at other levels too.

Transferring down to JUCO, DII, DIII means you don't have to sit out. That's a big factor.

The high school game will never be close to a college game unless you play in a bigger city or place where the talent is high. Take Mike Miller for example. He was a D1, NBA player from a small town in South Dakota. (population 5,000)  You're telling me that he would have been better prepared to play college basketball if he had a shot clock? 

Kids in small places all over the state are never going to get the chance to play against the level of competition they'll see in college.

2 hours ago, UTRok said:

So let’s make the roughly 95% of kids who won’t play past high school play with a shot clock so we can get the 5% ready?

2 hours ago, UTRok said:

Look you have your opinion and I mine. I think high school needs a shot clock. Appears some folks agree with both of us.

Whenever I present that stat against the argument of getting kids ready, shot clockers always back up and punt without giving a rebuttal with any substance. Wonder why? 

11 hours ago, jvaughan said:

Whenever I present that stat against the argument of getting kids ready, shot clockers always back up and punt without giving a rebuttal with any substance. Wonder why? 

In my opinion, it benefits kids regardless of whether you have post-high school aspirations or not, Primarily because it's going to increase the number of possessions per game for a lot of teams. Which means a lot of opportunities for individual players to make plays, the ball to be in players' hands. You had similar debate when the 3 point shot was added. It seems to have worked out. 

A shot clock would help the flow of he game. I also think if the people are polled you will see that most will want the shot clock in place. For example this is being debated in VA presently. I saw a small poll there of 399 people and 81% favored the shot clock. It's coming just a matter of how long till it's implemented. 

California: Boys – 35 seconds. Girls – 30 seconds.
New York: Boys – 35 seconds. Girls – 30 seconds.
Washington: Boys – 35 seconds. Girls – 30 seconds.
Massachusetts: Boys – 30 seconds. Girls – 30 seconds.
Maryland: Boys – No shot clock. Girls – 30 seconds.
Rhode Island: Boys 35 seconds. Girls – 30 seconds.
North Dakota: Boys 35 seconds. Girls – 30 seconds.
South Dakota: Boys 35 seconds. Girls – 35 seconds.

50 minutes ago, UTRok said:

In my opinion, it benefits kids regardless of whether you have post-high school aspirations or not, Primarily because it's going to increase the number of possessions per game for a lot of teams. Which means a lot of opportunities for individual players to make plays, the ball to be in players' hands. You had similar debate when the 3 point shot was added. It seems to have worked out. 

A shot clock would help the flow of he game. I also think if the people are polled you will see that most will want the shot clock in place. For example this is being debated in VA presently. I saw a small poll there of 399 people and 81% favored the shot clock. It's coming just a matter of how long till it's implemented. 

California: Boys – 35 seconds. Girls – 30 seconds.
New York: Boys – 35 seconds. Girls – 30 seconds.
Washington: Boys – 35 seconds. Girls – 30 seconds.
Massachusetts: Boys – 30 seconds. Girls – 30 seconds.
Maryland: Boys – No shot clock. Girls – 30 seconds.
Rhode Island: Boys 35 seconds. Girls – 30 seconds.
North Dakota: Boys 35 seconds. Girls – 30 seconds.
South Dakota: Boys 35 seconds. Girls – 35 seconds.

And in my opinion it hurts the game of basketball, which is decided not by pace but by points... score more than me and you win. Pace of the game and strategy should be determined by the teams and coaches, so if you want to run and gun, make me play your game. There have been teams around for as long as I can remember that could "speed up" the more traditional style teams (Loyola Marymount is the prime example), so it can be done. Like someone said earlier... If you can't keep me from being patient on offense (holding the ball), I'm probably better than you anyway. Just another example of "street ball" ruining the best part of the game.

I don't believe standing holding the ball for minutes on in is really a strategy, just seems as if they are afraid to play because they feel the other team is better and they are avoiding playing, if you don't want a shot clock fine, but find some kind of rule to avoid coaches using this so called strategy, I don't understand why everyone is not pushing for one tbh, wouldn't be as big of an undertaking as some are saying.....