We need SHOT CLOCKS asap!

FBfan26

4 hours ago, UTRok said:

In my opinion, it benefits kids regardless of whether you have post-high school aspirations or not, Primarily because it's going to increase the number of possessions per game for a lot of teams. Which means a lot of opportunities for individual players to make plays, the ball to be in players' hands. You had similar debate when the 3 point shot was added. It seems to have worked out. 

A shot clock would help the flow of he game. I also think if the people are polled you will see that most will want the shot clock in place. For example this is being debated in VA presently. I saw a small poll there of 399 people and 81% favored the shot clock. It's coming just a matter of how long till it's implemented. 

California: Boys – 35 seconds. Girls – 30 seconds.
New York: Boys – 35 seconds. Girls – 30 seconds.
Washington: Boys – 35 seconds. Girls – 30 seconds.
Massachusetts: Boys – 30 seconds. Girls – 30 seconds.
Maryland: Boys – No shot clock. Girls – 30 seconds.
Rhode Island: Boys 35 seconds. Girls – 30 seconds.
North Dakota: Boys 35 seconds. Girls – 30 seconds.
South Dakota: Boys 35 seconds. Girls – 35 seconds.

So you’ve gone from your argument solely being based on helping the kids who are going to play in college adjust to using a shot clock (no mention of the other 95%) to now well it’ll get everybody more possessions. So I’ll take it you’ve abandoned your original argument. The three point line did nothing to take away from a team that might not have the individual talent and athleticism. If anything it helped them by forcing those teams to come out and guard the line which opened things up for more movement on offense which I consider good basketball. A shot clock gives those teams more of an advantage than they already have because they can sit back and let the clock give them ball back  

A small poll of this thread has it 13 against it, 5 for it, and 1 that’s a push by my count. I’d love to see a formal poll of every high school coach (boys and girls) in the state of Tennessee. I believe the DNJ did one a few years ago of a handful of coaches in the Rutherford County area and it was split. I could careless what 399 “people” in Virginia think or what those 8 other states are doing. No doubt there are fans in that poll that know more basketball than some coaches but the people who it’s going to effect most (coaches and schools) should be the ones who get the say so. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kevin38 said:

I don't believe standing holding the ball for minutes on in is really a strategy, just seems as if they are afraid to play because they feel the other team is better and they are avoiding playing, if you don't want a shot clock fine, but find some kind of rule to avoid coaches using this so called strategy, I don't understand why everyone is not pushing for one tbh, wouldn't be as big of an undertaking as some are saying.....

If I stand and hold the ball on my hip and half court and you sit back and let me, how is it that I’m the one who’s scared? Get out and guard. Team A runs a continuity type offense for 2 minutes and can do so without Team B forcing a turnover, who would you say is the better team? Either team A is better or team B isn’t playing defense. The strategy to avoid teams holding the ball on you is play defense better than the can offense. Play smothering defense and use  the 5 second rule. 

I have come up with plenty of reasons why it would be a larger undertaking than most think. We’ve hit on some here in this thread. Who’s going to work it is one that I worry about. Finding someone to do it is a big deal for some schools let alone someone who knows what they are doing. And you don’t want to be the guy who screws it up in a tight game. Officials already want more money for games. This would be something else they have to keep up with so then there’s another cost. If they require an actual official to run the clock, there’s more money. The cost of the initial set up I don’t see as that big of deal that some make it. If the T$$AA says you have to have it to play sanctioned basketball, schools will figure it out.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jvaughan said:

If I stand and hold the ball on my hip and half court and you sit back and let me, how is it that I’m the one who’s scared? Get out and guard. Team A runs a continuity type offense for 2 minutes and can do so without Team B forcing a turnover, who would you say is the better team? Either team A is better or team B isn’t playing defense. The strategy to avoid teams holding the ball on you is play defense better than the can offense. Play smothering defense and use  the 5 second rule. 

I have come up with plenty of reasons why it would be a larger undertaking than most think. We’ve hit on some here in this thread. Who’s going to work it is one that I worry about. Finding someone to do it is a big deal for some schools let alone someone who knows what they are doing. And you don’t want to be the guy who screws it up in a tight game. Officials already want more money for games. This would be something else they have to keep up with so then there’s another cost. If they require an actual official to run the clock, there’s more money. The cost of the initial set up I don’t see as that big of deal that some make it. If the T$$AA says you have to have it to play sanctioned basketball, schools will figure it out.

So I can only have one point? See you could care less what a poll in VA said. Just like I care less what you think about it. 

22 minutes ago, UTRok said:

So I can only have one point? See you could care less what a poll in VA said. Just like I care less what you think about it. 

I wasn’t stating you can’t have more than one point, just that you were shifting from and abandoning your original argument without adding to or justifying it, also known as backing up and punting. 

And for someone who doesn’t care about what I think, you reply to me an awful lot.