Tennessee HS football

FBfan26

Was having a conversation with a coworker about hs football. He from texas and was telling me how far he thinks TN football is behind. He said most of the top programs is system friendly. We will not have any home grown 4 or 5star QBs because what they run. He got a chance to see the championship games and the only team he was impressed by was Greenville. Teams like oakland wouldn't make it across the 50 yard line in texas. Teams like Alcoa qb play would kill them. Only team he liked was Greenville and BA which he also said BA would have problems. Also he stated how if you kids doesn't play basketball or baseball you kid is running indoor track and spring track. 

12 hours ago, FBfan26 said:

Was having a conversation with a coworker about hs football. He from texas and was telling me how far he thinks TN football is behind. He said most of the top programs is system friendly. We will not have any home grown 4 or 5star QBs because what they run. He got a chance to see the championship games and the only team he was impressed by was Greenville. Teams like oakland wouldn't make it across the 50 yard line in texas. Teams like Alcoa qb play would kill them. Only team he liked was Greenville and BA which he also said BA would have problems. Also he stated how if you kids doesn't play basketball or baseball you kid is running indoor track and spring track. 

Aye real talk seen Greeneville play Maplewood in semi finals, and I was impressed also. 

12 hours ago, FBfan26 said:

Your coworker ain't to smart. Yeah, they play some awesome football in Texas but you lost me when you said "Teams like Oakland" wouldn't make it across the 50 yard line in Texas. 

55 minutes ago, howdoitknow said:

In the first half of the title game I saw Haywood move the football with lots of success against Greeneville.  I highly doubt Haywood would have been able to score against Oakland.  Oakland was by far and away the best defensive football team I saw this year.  They could slow down just about anyone.  

You are correct until Greeneville Moved from a 4-4 to a 5-2 Bear front since Haywood only had 2 wideouts and either had 2 TE or a FB lined up right behind the line of scrimmage.  When Greeneville moved to their bear front with 11:56 in the 2nd Quarter Haywood couldn't move the ball at all and had 52 Total Yards the rest of the game. (That is on the D coordinator not moving to it after Haywoods first drive).  Oakland and Greeneville would be a heck of a game because Greeneville was so well balanced in ever aspect of the game.

Many differences in Tennessee and Texas HS football.  The only class in Texas that has spring practice in pads is the largest class. That may have changed but that was the norm.  Another thing is all HS coaches must teach at the HS where they coach, no community or volunteer coaches and that came from the head of the coaches association in Texas.

Texas is apples and oranges compared to TN.

They have 4 times the people and football is considered a religion there among communities in those Texas towns.  It's always been more popular there than it ever has been in Tennessee.

Texas has 6 classes, with the bottom 5 divided into 2 divisions each so it's really an 11 class system.  This encourages competitiveness and even matchups, but Tennessee doesn't have enough football schools to do that.  The top classification starts at over 2100 and the biggest schools have over 3,000 kids.  Tennessee only has like a few schools that size.  At those schools, it's normal to pay the head coaches over $100k a year just to coach and run a weightlifting class.  Maryville or Dobyns-Bennett would be considered a 5A school in Texas.

I've talked to Texas coaches whose entire staffs were given paid substitutes for SPRING football, so the coaches could concentrate on that.  The big time schools there play in stadiums that would outshine some in major college football.  You have nothing like that in Tennessee.  The feeder systems there start at age 5 with everything from Pee Wee flag football through Middle School under the direction and control of the varsity head football coach.  Kids practice football year-round and summer 7 on 7 leagues are a huge deal there and have been for years.  They're relatively new to Tennessee.

The smallest class in Texas plays 6 man football, which helps them field teams with low numbers.  I think 6 man would be great for 1A schools in Tennessee but everybody here thinks that's crazy talk.

In 2012, Tennessee made a deal with the Federal Government to double down on standardized test scores.  Our schools have become test factories now and this has pushed athletics out in many places.  Pep rallies have become non-existent or extremely limited in most places.  Same goes for weight lifting classes, athletic periods, hiring or retaining teachers who coach sports, etc.  A lot of principals are now hostile to athletics because they feel it takes attention away from test scores.  After 6+ years of this, you can really see how that has eroded HS athletics statewide, especially in football.  Texas never bought into that crap.

As far as the calibre of football... a lot of what you see is the product of the stuff mentioned above, but I think your buddy was also falling into usual Texas BS.  Texas HS football is different.  It's almost all spread out there and has been for 20 years.  That doesn't make it necessarily better, though.  Greeneville plays "Texas-style" football, but Oakland and Maryville would have hung with the other schools their size playing a different style.  Texans often overrate how good everything is about Texas because they want to turn everything into some kind of p!$$ing contest.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BlueDevil58 said:

Texas is apples and oranges compared to TN.

They have 4 times the people and football is considered a religion there among communities in those Texas towns.  It's always been more popular there than it ever has been in Tennessee.

Texas has 6 classes, with the bottom 5 divided into 2 divisions each so it's really an 11 class system.  This encourages competitiveness and even matchups, but Tennessee doesn't have enough football schools to do that.  The top classification starts at over 2100 and the biggest schools have over 3,000 kids.  Tennessee only has like a few schools that size.  At those schools, it's normal to pay the head coaches over $100k a year just to coach and run a weightlifting class.  Maryville or Dobyns-Bennett would be considered a 5A school in Texas.

I've talked to Texas coaches whose entire staffs were given paid substitutes for SPRING football, so the coaches could concentrate on that.  The big time schools there play in stadiums that would outshine some in major college football.  You have nothing like that in Tennessee.  The feeder systems there start at age 5 with everything from Pee Wee flag football through Middle School under the direction and control of the varsity head football coach.  Kids practice football year-round and summer 7 on 7 leagues are a huge deal there and have been for years.  They're relatively new to Tennessee.

The smallest class in Texas plays 6 man football, which helps them field teams with low numbers.  I think 6 man would be great for 1A schools in Tennessee but everybody here thinks that's crazy talk.

In 2012, Tennessee made a deal with the Federal Government to double down on standardized test scores.  Our schools have become test factories now and this has pushed athletics out in many places.  Pep rallies have become non-existent or extremely limited in most places.  Same goes for weight lifting classes, athletic periods, hiring or retaining teachers who coach sports, etc.  A lot of principals are now hostile to athletics because they feel it takes attention away from test scores.  After 6+ years of this, you can really see how that has eroded HS athletics statewide, especially in football.  Texas never bought into that crap.

As far as the calibre of football... a lot of what you see is the product of the stuff mentioned above, but I think your buddy was also falling into usual Texas BS.  Texas HS football is different.  It's almost all spread out there and has been for 20 years.  That doesn't make it necessarily better, though.  Greeneville plays "Texas-style" football, but Oakland and Maryville would have hung with the other schools their size playing a different style.  Texans often overrate how good everything is about Texas because they want to turn everything into some kind of p!$$ing contest.

I thought Maryville was a 5A playing in 6A has that changed??