Tennessee HS football

FBfan26

2 hours ago, cbg said:

Depending on the area of Texas I could easily see Oakland going 8-2 or 7-3 playing in Texas.  If they had to play Lake Travis, Allen or Southlake it could get ugly.  Keep in mind you have schools in Texas with 5000 students.  Communities would rather have a freshman/sophomore campus and a campus for the junior/seniors down the street.  This is done because they want the talent pool at the schools to remain large for athletics.  

I had a friend that graduated from Allen and she didn't even know everyone in her graduating class :shock:.  Football in Texas is a religion and the facilities are top notch.  It's not hard to field a good team year in and year out when 5,000 + people attend your school

3 hours ago, cbg said:

Depending on the area of Texas I could easily see Oakland going 8-2 or 7-3 playing in Texas.  If they had to play Lake Travis, Allen or Southlake it could get ugly.  Keep in mind you have schools in Texas with 5000 students.  Communities would rather have a freshman/sophomore campus and a campus for the junior/seniors down the street.  This is done because they want the talent pool at the schools to remain large for athletics.  

They should beat Oakland or any school in TN when they're twice as big. Imagine any combination of Oakland, Blackman, Whitehaven, Maryville, MJ or Ravenwood. I'd take that team against just about anyone. That would still only put enrollment around 4000-4500

1 hour ago, MidTennFootball said:

They should beat Oakland or any school in TN when they're twice as big. Imagine any combination of Oakland, Blackman, Whitehaven, Maryville, MJ or Ravenwood. I'd take that team against just about anyone. That would still only put enrollment around 4000-4500

It's not only enrollment numbers in Texas it's also coaching and facilities.  I would venture to guess that 90% of the coaches in the higher classifications played in college and that includes the assistant coaches.  The programs are operated like a small college program.  With regards to facilities they are unreal but when you have oil & natural gas money being dumped into schools it puts the Texas facilities over the top in many instances.  I can tell you that my home in Nashville would have it's property taxes tripled if I lived in a similar neighborhood in Houston.  

47 minutes ago, cbg said:

It's not only enrollment numbers in Texas it's also coaching and facilities.  I would venture to guess that 90% of the coaches in the higher classifications played in college and that includes the assistant coaches.  The programs are operated like a small college program.  With regards to facilities they are unreal but when you have oil & natural gas money being dumped into schools it puts the Texas facilities over the top in many instances.  I can tell you that my home in Nashville would have it's property taxes tripled if I lived in a similar neighborhood in Houston.  

Absolutely agree, which is why people are moving here in droves. Standard of living is considerably cheaper when compared against other markets

This is a perfect example of just how big high school football is in Texas. 

One school I am very familiar with is Jarrell High School.  Jarrell is a small town on I-35 about 35 miles north of downtown Austin.  The population of Jarrell is right at 1,500 people (number is accurate, not a typo).  The high school has 390 students in grades 9-12, many of whom are of hispanic background who don't generally play American football.  

As you can see in the profile, their home stadium seats 3,700, and you can tell how big it is by the size of the press box in the picture.  Their closest "district" opponent is over 100 miles away, a couple nearly 300 miles away.  

I've been to three games there myself, as my son lived about a Brooks Kopeka driver and 7 iron away from the school when he was posted at Fort Hood.  All three times the stadium was completely full with folks standing.  In a town with the population of 1,500.  

High school football in Texas is just at a different level.  I've been fortunate to attend games at the higher classifications, as well, in the Metroplex (Dallas/Ft Worth metro), San Antonio, and Waco.  The entire towns close down on Friday nights during the games.  It's a way of life.  

Cougar Stadium

Edited by HTV

When Gallatin played Canton McKinley in Ohio some years ago, multiple high school football games were shown on TV Friday night and Saturday.  They took it very serious up there.  But comparing those large populous states like Texas, Florida or even California to Tennessee is difficult.  Money, population, large schools are all very different.  I think Tenn does a good job representing high school football and turning out good players for the next level.   I think this state has shown that is competes very well with others in head to head.  

Edited by GWAVE1

1 hour ago, GWAVE1 said:

When Gallatin played Canton McKinley in Ohio some years ago, multiple high school football games were shown on TV Friday night and Saturday.  They took it very serious up there.  But comparing those large populous states like Texas, Florida or even California to Tennessee is difficult.  Money, population, large schools are all very different.  I think Tenn does a good job representing high school football and turning out good players for the next level.   I think this state has shown that is competes very well with others in head to head.  

Per population, Tennessee turns out more than its share of D1 players, and they are coming from all three grand divisions of the state.  And that's not even to mention the number of kids ending up a the D2, D3, and NAIA level.  Tennessee high school football has come a long way in the last 20 years.  

• Like 2

On 2/9/2019 at 9:31 AM, FBfan26 said:

Was having a conversation with a coworker about hs football. He from texas and was telling me how far he thinks TN football is behind. He said most of the top programs is system friendly. We will not have any home grown 4 or 5star QBs because what they run. He got a chance to see the championship games and the only team he was impressed by was Greenville. Teams like oakland wouldn't make it across the 50 yard line in texas. Teams like Alcoa qb play would kill them. Only team he liked was Greenville and BA which he also said BA would have problems. Also he stated how if you kids doesn't play basketball or baseball you kid is running indoor track and spring track. 

Only thing from Texas are steers and uh....more steers....and you buddy probably  ain't got horns.:thumb:

As somebody with long time ties to both Tennessee and Texas, the history of Texas very much acknowledges the significance that Tennesseans played in the defense of Texas.  It's prominent at The Alamo and at the State Museum in Austin.  

57 minutes ago, HTV said:

As somebody with long time ties to both Tennessee and Texas, the history of Texas very much acknowledges the significance that Tennesseans played in the defense of Texas.  It's prominent at The Alamo and at the State Museum in Austin.  

We fly a Lone Star flag, next to the Tri Star flag at Sam Houston School House.