Is there a need for a Region Tournament in TN?

Newestguy

13 minutes ago, Newestguy said:

Hixson  -14

Alcoa - 12

Chattanooga Central - 8

Polk County - 7

Upperman - 8

Greenback - 3

Brainerd - 2

Tyner - 4

Cumberland County - 2

Sale Creek - 3

Livingston Academy - 5

If my math is right that's an average of 4.8 wrestlers per weight class

What solutions are you offering to improve this situation?

Let me just mention 1 interesting fact. Since it's peek in 2013, boys participation in wrestling in the state of TN is down 13%. Yet there's a 9% increase in the number of schools that have wrestling.  A 5% increase in high school students over the same period.

I'm not sure what to make of this, but I don't see the "build it and they will come" approach working. I simply see more schools, less wrestlers per school and the pool very watered down. 

No one wants to admit when mistakes are made. 

http://www.nfhs.org/ParticipationStatics/ParticipationStatics.aspx/

Edited by Newestguy

Seems to me that around that same time it was recognized that numbers were starting to decline. AAU, which eventially feeds high schools with talent, made a move to improve this be starting beginner events for kids. Although there was a slight hiccup last season they have done a pretty good job of getting new kids on the mat. The beginner events fill up quick. Give this some time to see what happens. 

I have heard that numbers in football have declined slightly as well. Maybe there is a trend?

15 minutes ago, Hamblin said:

Seems to me that around that same time it was recognized that numbers were starting to decline. AAU, which eventially feeds high schools with talent, made a move to improve this be starting beginner events for kids. Although there was a slight hiccup last season they have done a pretty good job of getting new kids on the mat. The beginner events fill up quick. Give this some time to see what happens. 

I have heard that numbers in football have declined slightly as well. Maybe there is a trend?

Let's hope so Hamblin. I started looking at all the states and TN certainly isn't alone. For some reason 2011 - 2013 seems to be the peek time for participation. Last year was the worst and this year is just a tad better. IN, CA, NJ, PA, OH, CO, NY, IA, GA all down (although OH, IA  are about the same) even though many have more schools and everywhere there are more students. At least a 10% drop in GA, CA, IN, CO and TN. 

One exception I'm seeing is AL, it's WAY up (over 25% over the last 5-6 years). Maybe we should see what they're doing.

Edited by Newestguy

Take some time to see who has the most influence over the boys in today's society. I know I'm gonna step on a toe or two by saying it but it's the ladies.

Here's another toe stepped on.....our boys are being feminized because of nonsense like toxic masculinity and other such garbage. Beta males is the new normal and step dad's get bullied by the moms. Sorry guys but it's the truth.

It's very scary to think what things will look like 20 years from now....at my current age I probably won't see it. :-?

Edited by Hamblin
Adding a sentence
  • Like 1

I stated it last year and I'll state it again this year! 

What if there are three post-season individual tournaments just like duals? Label this weekend coming up region as it is, send the top 4 on to the following weekend to "sub-state" and then send top 4 to the state tournament. There will be 8 regions (same teams as current regions) then combine 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6, and 7 and 8. Making 4 sub-states, then the top 4 finishers go to state making it a 16 man bracket at state. The need for a 32 man bracket is a joke. It was fine before the A-AA AAA split. Normally there are 16 kids that shouldn't be in the AAA state tournament per weight class. Make it so the sub state teams split the cost to cover the 6ish refs needed for the tournament (sub state can be ran on 3 mats easily). Do this by making each wrestler pay $10. $10*8*14=$1120 (8 man bracket and 14 weight classes) and refs will cost about $180 (I think)*6=$1080. If a team only has 1 wrestler make it that team will pay $10, if two then team pays $20. The extra $40 can help the hosting team pay for extra cost of janitors or anything else. Hosting teams will get gate and concessions; rotate between schools alphabetically every year to determine hosting team. Lastly, I know this will cause post season to begin a week early because I am thinking we can't push it back a week due to a D2 event.

5 minutes ago, Hamblin said:

Take some time to see who has the most influence over the boys in today's society. I know I'm gonna step on a toe or two by saying it but it's the ladies.

Here's another toe stepped on.....our boys are being feminized because of nonsense like toxic masculinity and other such garbage. Beta males is the new normal and step dad's get bullied by the moms. Sorry guys but it's the truth.

It's very scary to think what things will look like 20 years from now....at my current age I probably won't see it. :-?

Like anything else, it's a combination of things. But I agree with your point. I would have thought with the rise in popularity of the UFC participation would be rising more. IMO one of the biggest problems is there is simply a lack of qualified coaches and support for wrestling with most administrations.

Also needs to happen, I'm sure region 7 and 6 coaches and fans would agree! (this is off last year TSSAA info but not much as changed) 

"Take a look at region 4, I am sure several individuals will like them 3 splitting into two different regions. (FYI: just copied this off my original post.)  What needs to be told to TSSAA is that more focus needs to be centered on equal region/district dividing than school location, for this works perfect for other sports.  

I mean there are 94 teams in AAA across the state, and geographically they may be split evenly between the state, but not by numbers. 8 teams in region 4, but 17 in region 7?? At the min. split the regions evenly. With the current 93 teams (93 next year due to Knoxville Catholic High school dropping to D2) that would mean 5 regions would have 12 and 3 would have 11. It wouldn't be that hard to split up differently for individuals. If split evenly and then also paying attention to geographic location second the regions would look like (underlined schools would be added teams or moved teams.

Region 1:

1. Cocke Co. High School (Newport, TN)

2. Daniel Boone High School (Gray, TN)

3. David Crockett High School (Jonesborough, TN)

4. Dobyns Bennett High School (Kingsport, TN)

5. Jefferson Co. High School (Dandridge, TN)

6. Morristown-Hamblen High School East (Morristown, TN)

7. Morristown-Hamblen High School West (Morristown, TN)

8. Science Hill High School (Johnson City, TN)

9. Tennessee High School (Bristol, TN)

10. Volunteer High School (Church Hill, TN)

11. Sevier Co. High School (Sevierville, TN)

Region 2:

1. Anderson Co. High School (Clinton, TN)

2. Clinton High School (Clinton, TN)

3. Karns High School (Knoxville, TN)

4. Knoxville Central High School (Knoxville, TN)

5. Knoxville Halls High School (Knoxville, TN)

6. Powell High School (Powell, TN)

7. Gibbs High School (Corryton, TN)    (They won't be small school much longer with new middle school being built)

8. South Doyle High School (Knoxville, TN)

9. Bearden High School (Knoxville, TN)

10. Farragut High School (Knoxville, TN)

11. Hardin Valley Academy (Knoxville, TN)

Region 3:

1. Heritage High School (Maryville, TN)

2. Lenoir City High School (Lenoir City, TN)

3. Maryville High School (Maryville, TN)

4. Stone Memorial High School (Crossville, TN)

5. William Blount High School (Maryville, TN)

6. Rhea County High School (Evensville, TN)

7. Soddy-Daisy High School (Soddy-Daisy, TN)

8. Seymour High School (Seymour, TN)

9. White Co. High School (Sparta, TN)

10. McMinn Co. High School (Athens, TN)

11. Cookeville High School (Cookeville, TN)

Region 4: 

1.  Bradley Central High School (Cleveland, TN)

2. Cleveland High School (Cleveland, TN)

3. East Hamilton High School (Ooltewah, TN)

4. Ooltewah High School (Ooltewah, TN)

5. Walker Valley High School (Cleveland, TN)

6. Tullahoma High School (Tullahoma, TN)

7. Warren Co. High School (McMinnville, TN)

8. Coffee Co. Central High School (Manchester, TN)

9. Franklin Co. High School (Winchester, TN)

10.  Oakland High School (Murfreesboro, TN)

11. Riverdale High School (Murfreesboro, TN)

12. Shelbyville Central High School (Shelbyville, TN)

Region 5:

1. Blackman High School (Murfreesboro, TN)

2. Columbia Central High School (Columbia, TN)

3. LaVergne High School (Lavergne, TN)

4. Lawrence Co. High School (Lawrenceburg, TN)

5. Siegel High School (Murfreesboro, TN)

6. Smyrna High School (Smyrna, TN)

7. Stewarts Creek High School (Smyrna, TN)

8. Spring Hill High School (Columbia, TN)

9. Antioch High School (Antioch, TN)

10. Cane Ridge High School (Antioch, TN)

11. Page High School (Franklin, TN)

12. Summit High School (Spring Hill, TN)

Region 6:

1. Beech Senior High School (Hendersonville, TN)

2. Clarksville High School (Clarksville, TN)

3. Hendersonville High School (Hendersonville, TN)

3. Kenwood High School (Clarksville, TN)

4. Lebanon High School (Lebanon, TN)

5. Montgomery Central High School (Cunningham, TN)

6. Mt. Juliet High School (Mt. Juliet, TN)

7. Northeast High School (Clarksville, TN)

8. Northwest High School (Clarksville, TN)

9. Rossview High School (Clarksville, TN)

10. Springfield High School (Springfield, TN)

11. West Creek High School (Clarksville, TN)

12. Wilson Central High School (Lebanon, TN)

Region 7:

1. Brentwood High School (Brentwood, TN)

2. Centennial High School (Franklin, TN)

3. Dickson Co. High School (Dickson, TN)

4. Franklin High School (Franklin, TN)

5. Glencliff High School (Nashville, TN)

6. Hillsboro High School (Nashville, TN)

7. Hillwood High School (Nashville, TN)

8. Hunters Lane High School (Nashville, TN)

9. Independence High School (Thompson's Station, TN)

10. John Overton High School (Nashville, TN)

11. McGavock High School (Nashville, TN)

12. Ravenwood High School (Brentwood, TN)

Region 8:

1.  Arlington High School (Arlington, TN)

2. Bartlett High School (Bartlett, TN)

3. Bolton High School (Arlington, TN)

4. Brighton High School (Brighton, TN)

5. Collierville High School (Collierville, TN)

6. Cordova High School (Cordova, TN)

7. Germantown High School (Germantown, TN)

8. Houston High School (Germantown, TN)

9. Kingsbury High School (Memphis, TN)

10. Munford High School (Munford, TN)

11. Southwind High School (Memphis, TN)

12. White Station High School (Memphis, TN)"

25 minutes ago, Newestguy said:

Like anything else, it's a combination of things. But I agree with your point. I would have thought with the rise in popularity of the UFC participation would be rising more. IMO one of the biggest problems is there is simply a lack of qualified coaches and support for wrestling with most administrations.

This is a strange generation of kids.  I use  to say kids would rather sit at home and play video games over going to practice and working hard- which still holds true.  However, now kids sit at home and watch youtube videos of other people playing the games! 

• Upvote 2