Memphis Area Players being Recruited - 2020

kwc

Football recruiting: Top Memphis high school prospects for Class of 2020 (As of Feb. 8, 2019)

Khari Thompson, Memphis Commercial AppealPublished 7:00 a.m. CT Feb. 8, 2019 | Updated 10:08 a.m. CT Feb. 8, 2019

With Maurice Hampton and Kristian Williams signed, all of the major football prospects for the Memphis area in the class of 2019 have picked their schools. Now it's time to look at the top prospects in the 2020 class. Rankings and offers are according to 247Sports

Darin Turner 

Central 

Position: Wide Receiver

Memphis Central's Darin Turner signals a first down after a turnover against Whitehaven at Central High School on Friday, Oct. 5, 2018.

Memphis Central's Darin Turner signals a first down after a turnover against Whitehaven at Central High School on Friday, Oct. 5, 2018. (Photo: Joe Rondone/The Commercial Appeal)

Ht: 6-3. Wt: 205.

247 Composite: Ranked No. 60 nationally, No. 2 in Tennessee.

College choice: Committed to LSU

What to know: Turner, a second-team All-Metro selection, committed to to LSU last spring. Turner helped lead Central to the second round of the 6A playoffs where the Warriors fell to region rival Germantown. 

Omari Thomas

Briarcrest

Position: Offensive tackle

Ht: 6-5. Wt: 301 

247 Composite: Ranked No. 74 nationally, No. 5 in Tennessee.

College choice: Offers include Alabama, Clemson, LSU, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Penn State

What to know: Thomas finished as a runner up for the DII-AAA Mr. Football award as a junior and has committed to play in next year's All-American Bowl. He recently trimmed his list to 12 schools and he is getting his offseason cardio workouts in by playing varsity basketball. 

BIG MAN BUCKETS: Bill Norton and Omari Thomas, DII-AAA Mr. Football Finalists, make big basketball impact

Marcus Henderson

Marcus Henderson is a junior at Memphis University School

Marcus Henderson is a junior at Memphis University School (Photo: Submitted)

MUS

Ht: 6-5. Wt: 298

247 Composite: Ranked No. 99 nationally, No. 6 in Tennessee.

College choice: Offers include Ole Miss, Tennessee, Ohio State, Alabama, Florida

What to know: Henderson paved the way for an MUS offense that made it to the DII-AAA state title game. The first-team All-Metro selection released his list of top-12 schools on New Year's eve. Nine are in the SEC. 

Chris Morris

Freedom Prep

Ht: 6-4. Wt: 290

247 Composite: Ranked No. 119 nationally, No. 7 in Tennessee.

College choice: Offers include Arkansas, Tennessee, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama

What to know: Morris, a first-team All-Metro selection didn't allow a sack all season for Freedom Prep, which made its first quarterfinal appearance in school history. 

Josaih Hayes

Horn Lake

Position: Defensive tackle

Ht: 6-3. Wt: 280 

247 Composite: Ranked No. 141 nationally, No. 2 in Mississippi

College choice: Offers include Ole Miss, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia

What to know: Hayes and Georgia signee Nakobe Dean anchored a defense that brought Horn Lake its first state title.

Whitehaven's Bryson Eason (middle) celebrates with his teammates after defeating Germantown 14-0 during their 6A state playoff game in Germantown, Tenn.

Whitehaven's Bryson Eason (middle) celebrates with his teammates after defeating Germantown 14-0 during their 6A state playoff game in Germantown, Tenn. (Photo: Mark Weber, The Commercial Appeal)

Whitehaven

Position: Linebacker

Ht: 6-1. Wt: 238 

247 Composite: Ranked No. 9 in Tennessee

College choice: Offers include Oklahoma, Arkansas, Florida, Michigan, Ole Miss, Tennessee

What to know: Eason missed several games last season due to injury but should be back at full strength next season. He was 8-6A player of the year as a sophomore and helped vault Whitehaven to the 6A state title game as a junior. 

Martavius French

Martavius French, is a junior at Whitehaven High School

Martavius French, is a junior at Whitehaven High School (Photo: Joe Rondone/The Commercial Appeal)

Whitehaven

Ht: 6-2. Wt: 235

247 Composite: Ranked No. 11 in Tennessee.

College choice: Offers include Arkansas, Ole Miss, Tennessee, LSU.

What to know: French, the reigning 8-6A defensive player of the year, made 120 tackles, forced four fumbles and picked off two passes.

Corbet Mims

Kirby

Position: Defensive tackle

Ht: 6-4. Wt: 250

247 Composite: Ranked No. 14 in Tennessee.

College choice: Offers include Middle Tennessee State, Southern Miss, Liberty, Western Kentucky

What to know: Mims helped lead Kirby to a 5A quarterfinal appearance. He is just starting to pop up on the radar of a number of college programs. He picked up four offers in the last two weeks. 

Ray Curry

White station

Ht: 6-5. Wt: 288 

247 Composite: Ranked No. 16 in Tennessee

College choice: Offers include Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Ole Miss

What to know: Curry's White Station team went 3-8, but he was able to pick up plenty of attention and offers from FBS schools.

Jabari Small

Briarcrest

Position: Running back

Ht: 5-10. Wt: 190

247 Composite: Ranked No. 23 in Tennessee

College choice: Offers include West Virginia, Arkansas, Tennessee, Memphis

What to know: Small was a third-team All-Metro selection in 2019. He helped lead Briarcrest to the state quarterfinals. 

Tamerion McDonald

Tamerion McDonald is a junior at Whitehaven High School

Tamerion McDonald is a junior at Whitehaven High School (Photo: Submitted)

Whitehaven

Ht: 6-2. Wt: 220

247 Composite: Ranked No. 27 in Tennessee.

College choice: Offers include Ole Miss, LSU, Southern Miss

What to know: McDonald is a versatile defender who can play linebacker and safety. The first-team All-Metro selection had 90 tackles, 10 tackles for loss, two sacks, three forced fumbles, four fumble recoveries and a defensive touchdown.

Cameron Sneed

Whitehaven

Position: Running Back

Ht: 5-10. Wt: 180

247 Composite: Ranked No. 35 in Tennessee

College choice: Offers include Southern Miss

What to know: Sneed, a third-team All-Metro selection, had 175 carries for 1400 yards and 14 touchdowns. 

Jevon Banks

Olive Branch

Ht: 6-2. Wt: 235

247 Composite: Ranked No. 10 in Mississippi

College choice: Offers include Mississippi State, Louisville, Southern Miss, Tulane

What to know: Banks had 93 tackles, 18 tackles for loss and 4 sacks heading into the Mississippi 5A North state final, which Olive Branch lost to West Point. 

Devonte Nelson

MUS

Position: Cornerback

Ht: 5-11. Wt: 177

247 Composite: Ranked No. 38 in Tennessee.

College choice: Offers include Arkansas, Ole Miss, Tennessee, South Carolina

What to know: Nelson was a key part of an MUS defense that held opponents to just over 10.8 points per game and made the DII-AAA state title game. 

Jakivuan Brown

Horn Lake

Position: Tight End

Ht: 6-2. Wt: 220 

247 Composite: Ranked No. 11 in Mississippi

College choice: Offers include LSU, Ole Miss, Baylor

What to know: Reigning 6A state champ Horn Lake put up 35 points or more 10 times last season. Brown provided production from the tight end position. 

Caleb Offord

Southaven

Position: Cornerback

Ht: 6-2. Wt: 180

247Composite: Ranked No. 10 in Mississippi

College choice: Offers include Duke, Vanderbilt, Purdue, Vanderbilt, Memphis

What to know: Southaven finished 4-7, but Offord was a bright spot in the defensive backfield and teams are beginning to notice. Memphis offered him last Thursday. 

Edited by kwc