District to State is an eternity

CoachHolly7

34 minutes ago, bigredmachine said:

It takes 5 Weeks to crown a State champion (6 weeks for Boys).  This is nuts.  Condense it.   It takes longer for districts than the SEC takes for its conference tournament.  Baseball and Softball, maybe track, can suffer from not having players on these teams.  Gotta be a better way.?

Whats your suggestion?

8 hours ago, bigredmachine said:

How about for starts, only District Tourney Winner and Runner-up move on to Region.  Why put in 3rd and 4th?  Too many.  Baseball, Softball, and Soccer does it that way.  I guess more money for T$$AA. 

Taking only the District Tourney winners and runner-ups to region will only reduce the number of games, not the number of weeks, because each round is  basically played on a weekly basis. Football also takes five weeks. The NCAA takes six weeks. If you want to easily reduce it by a week then you can stop playing the sub state and only take the Region champion to the next level.

Now if you are really concerned about week reduction  you can play two rounds per week. In order for a team to win a Sate championship they  will more likely have to play three games in three days anyway.

Edited by midtnmale
added the word State to better clarify my position.

I don’t agree with taking only the top 2. In some cases, 3 and 4 in one district are superior to teams  1 and 2 in the other district. But it is ridiculous to have a week in between district championship and first region game. That’s an eternity in some ways. A hot team has plenty of time to cool off. The regionals should start within 3 days of district finals with the sectional 3 days later. That’s two weeks to get the glass house. I don’t know how other regions do it, but back in the day, the regional semis were an event. Starting up around 4 PM with 2 girls and 2 boys games. The last game starting around 8:30. Yeah it was a little late, but big crowds and a good atmosphere. The way it is now, you get the fans if the two teams playing and that’s about it. 

Getting rid of 3 and 4 seeds is very unfair some districts only have 4 or 5 teams while others have 8 or 9 even 10! Some Regionals are mismatches and 3 & 4 seeds regularly win.

It used to not be this way either 

distric tournaments were over by Saturday of this week 

the Regional Tournament began on Monday with 4 1v4 games then Tuesday was 2v3 Wednesday was the semifinals and Finals were on Thursday 

Girls Sub-State on Saturday and Boys on Monday with the Girls State starting on Wednesday. Boys on Wednesday of the next week.

3 weeks for Girls and 4 for Boys.

Edited by Khall555
  • Like 1

It DOES take too long...just play the regular season then award Oak Ridge High School the Class A - AAA Mrs. and Mr. Basketball and the State Championships in Class A - AAA boys and girls.

The Private school can do what they want just like they always do.

While we are at it...name me King of the World. Think I am joking? Just look at the belt around my big belly.

13 hours ago, midtnmale said:

Taking only the District Tourney winners and runner-ups to region will only reduce the number of games, not the number of weeks, because each round is  basically played on a weekly basis. Football also takes five weeks. The NCAA takes six weeks. If you want to easily reduce it by a week then you can stop playing the sub state and only take the Region champion to the next level.

Now if you are really concerned about week reduction  you can play two rounds per week. In order for a team to win a Sate championship they  will more likely have to play three games in three days anyway.

Yeah I get it.   But, The NCAA takes 3 weeks.  or 4 if you include conference tournaments.