AAA and DII State Recap

speakthetruth

106 AAA

Trae Mcdaniel of Cleveland showed why he is ranked in all the major national polls. The Fargo AA simply dominated his way through the bracket to a state title. Everybody was saying that Brayden Ivy of Morristown West v Mcdaniel semi should have been the finals but after watching Chris Calvin of McGavock performance against Trae in the finals,  I am not so sure who wins in a Calvin v Ivy match up. 

106 D2 

Man, Jackson Bond of Baylor had one impressive tournament in the deepest weight classes in D2. I would have like to have seen a Dayne Dalrymple of Christian  Brothers v Bond final as I’m not sure how that match turns out even as impressive as Bond’s performance in this tournament was.  But, Dalrymple lost to Keyveon Roller of CAK who is one dynamic wrestler in the semis.  This weight was all about style match ups. This was imo the deepest weight in the state with Bond, Dalrymple, Roller and Brooks Mcafee of Father Ryan all at this weight in this division. 

113 AAA

This final was one of the best of the night. Hunter Borders of Wilson Central won neutral and dominated on top against Jackson Bradford of Cleveland,  in fact I probably would have slapped the mat when Border caught Bradford rolling and had him on his back. I still not sure why Borders went down in the 3rd when he was up 4 against Bradford who is one of the best in the state on top.  Bradford just dominated Borders on top in the 3rd and ended up winning 7-5. Sammy Shires of Rossview was clearly better than everyone else in the bracket at this weight but the freshman just didn’t have the horsepower to topple either Borders or Bradford. 

113 D2

You have to feel for3 time finalist and 1 time Champ Cade Holloway of Notre Dame.  2ndyear in a row he loses to a McCallie wrestler in the finals.  This year it was to Jack Braman of McCallie who is quietly developing into an elite level wrestler. 

120 AAA

Other than a scare to William Witt of Cane Ridge in the semis, Reed Cannon of Arlington dominated this weight as everyone thought he would. Andrew Artiles of Collierville had the tournament of a lifetime which is why he is a state finalist. 

120 D2

Emory Taylor of McCallie dominated this weight like everyone predicted he would, scoring 49 points and giving up only 6. This was 2nd state for Taylor as he also won a state title last year as a freshman. 

126 AAA

The Clarion signee Brayden Palmer of Beach, showed why he is nationally ranked as he had 3 pins and 15-0 tech fall in one of the most dominating performances of the night. Impressive run by Sophomore Braxton Mann of Science Hill to take out both Luke Dezember of Lawrence Co.and Stephan Fisak Wilson Central to reach the finals. 

126 D2 

Noah Horst of Baylor, the Fargo AA has never lost a state title from youth through high school and he dominated his way to another one this year by pinning in every match. This was Horst 3rd State High school title.   Everyone was predicting a Christian Morris of McCallie v Horst final after there SV match at regionals last week that Horst won but Evan Anthony of Christian Brothers said not so fast.  Anthony who is one of the hardest working grittiest wrestlers in the state took it to Morris in the semis and made the state finals for the 2ndyear in a row. 

132 AAA 

Christian Isabell of Clarksville was on a mission to win a state title and he found a way to will himself to one.  The SV match in the semis between Logan Whiteside of Cleveland v Isabell should have been the finals even though Luke Kerns of  Arlington looked very impressive on run to the finals and gave Isabell everything he wanted in the finals. 

132 D2 

With a pin against senior Nathan Wysong of McCallie, the freshman Garrison Dendy of Baylor showed he going to be a force in this state over the rest of his high school career. This was a tight 1-0 match going into the 3rd.  Why anyone would ever go down against Dendy is beyond me.  It’s like going down against Whitworth, you simply just don’t do it. You have to feel for Senior Wysong after he had to sit out last year. 

138 AAA 

Everyone was predicting a Job Dooley of Franklin v Cam Henderson of  Smyrna finals but someone forgot to tell that to Dillon Pendley of Tennessee High who knocked off both Henderson and Dooley to win the state title. 

138 D2 

This weight was the Garrett Bowers of Christian Brothers show as he pinned his way to his 2ndstate title.  Houston Crouch of Father Ryan pulled off the upset in the semis against Zach Ward of McCallie to make his first finals. 

145 AAA 

Grant Lundy of Cleveland showed why UTC signed him as he cruised to his first state title after having to sit out last year.  Alex Pergande of Wilson Central dominated the other side of the bracket but he was no match for Lundy in the finals.  

145 D2 

The Harvard signee Andrew Pace of Baylor won his 2ndstraight TN title.  Jacorey Miller of Father Ryan for the second time gave Pace a very tight match in the finals but came up short once again this week. 

152 AAA

It is back to back state titles for Austin Sweeney of Cleveland who has never had gotten the credit for being as good as he actually is.  

152 D2 

This weight was the Alex Whitworth of McCallie show as he won the D2 OW with his dominant performance. This was Whitworth’s 3rd State title as he won it as an 8th grader and last year as a freshman.  Whitworth is one step closer to becoming a 5X in TN. You have to feel for Lawrence Madson of Father Ryan who is a great wrestler who has now lost back to back state finals to Pace and now Whitworth. 

160 AAA 

Everyone predicted a Dominic Fields of Tennessee High v Josh Pietarila of Hardin Valley finals and that’s exactly the way it turned out with Fields dominating Pietarila in the finals. This is 2ndyear in a row that Pietarila has lost in the finals after losing to Sweeney last year. 

160 D2 

Everyone was predicting a Eli Hodge of Christian  Brothers state title but that’s only because most people haven’t seen Gavin Gagle of CAK wrestle.  Gagle maybe the best athlete in the state and he used his athletic ability to knock off Hodge who is technically one of best wrestler in the state in the finals. 

170 AAA 

This was one of the most anticipated finals of the night between Chase Diehl of Science Hill the SIUE signee and Landon Fowler of Blackman who I’m not sure where he is going to wrestle but he a D1 caliber wrestler too. Diehl ended up winning the 3-1 match that could have gone either way. 

170 D2

The was the Mason Reiniche of Baylor show and the Cornell signee and #3 ranked wrestler in the country didn’t disappoint by dominating his way to another state title. I will have to give credit to Sophomore Parker Peterson of Father Ryan who didn’t back down from Reiniche in the finals and even though he ended up getting majored, it was a bloody war in a drama filled finals. 

182 AAA

Another weight where everyone was expecting two wrestlers in the finals and that’s exactly what happened with Austin Antcliffe Arlington and Brooks Sacharczyk of Blackman both reached the finals. A match that Antcliffe won 6-1. 

182 D2 

The match of the night was between Thomas Sell of McCallie and Connor Duffy of Baylor, two close friends that have traded matches back and forth this year.  This match went all the way to tie breaker that Sell ended up winning 7-6. 

195 AAA

Senior Bradley Williams of Clarksville was undefeated with a 49-0 record and he cruised to the state finals where he held off a spirited fight against  Isaiah Perez of Cleveland to win the state title. 

195 D2 

Freshman David Harper of Baylor showed why many nationally are calling him the best young big man in the country as he dominated his way to his first of many state titles.  You have to feel for Senior Montana Doty of Christian Brothers would have easily won a state title had the freshman phenom not showed up in his weight.

220 AAA

Skylar Coffey of Brentwood was predicated to win this weight and he did that by just walking through his bracket with his closest match being a 13-3 major in the finals. 

220 D2 

I had never seen Al Wooten of Christian Brothers wrestle before but wow just wow.  This young man is an exciting dynamic wrestler.   He dominated this bracket and this young man will be an absolute force next year as a Senior.  

285 AAA 

Chubb Chubb enough said. Michael Kramer of Wilson Central showed why he is ranked in the top 10 nationally as he pinned his way to another state title with the longest time he was on the mat being 1:13.  Just an absolutely dominating performance by the Lindenwood signee.  

285 D2 

This sudden victory battle between Rhino Jackson of Friendship Christian and Thomas Gore of Brentwood Academy was one of those matches where you didn’t want either kid to lose because both kids laid it all out on the line. Gore got the takedown in SV to secure his state title. 

Edited by durdon
  • Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, CHSBLUE said:

What happened after the Reiniche match. I never could see. I heard that some of the Father Ryan’s fans were yelling stuff at him and then he responded.  I couldn’t see though.

What happened after the Reiniche match was shameful.  On the mat the match was a bit chippy. The Father Ryan wrestler was called for a head butt, and both wrestlers were very aggressive up high.

Reiniche won the hard fought match handily with takedowns, and the championship was well deserved.

His actions and reactions after the match were well below championship caliber, and should have been addressed right there on the mat. The sportsmanship was abhorrent. He made a veiled attempt to shake the opposing coaches hands by forcefully slapping at their forearms. A proper handshake was never offered whatsoever.  Baylor coach Nelson corrected him...he turned back, offered a half-hearted handshake, then turned and taunted opposing fans and alumni near the mat exit.

I wish him all the best and continued success at Cornell, including some lessons in discipline, respect and decorum. I'm sure he's a better man than evidenced by last night's post-match display.

Great recap! Some really fun matches! 

Like every other wrestling fan in the state of Tennessee it would be nice to see all of the AAA and DII winners battle it out on the mats for the right to be #1!

On a side note, I don’t think I realized how many transfers were in DII this season. More than normal or what we should all expect moving forward? 

14 minutes ago, FRHSIrishVol said:

Great recap! Some really fun matches! 

Like every other wrestling fan in the state of Tennessee it would be nice to see all of the AAA and DII winners battle it out on the mats for the right to be #1!

On a side note, I don’t think I realized how many transfers were in DII this season. More than normal or what we should all expect moving forward? 

Actually, there were only 2 transfers this year into D2 with kids that participated at the state tournament.  Wysong and Horst. It’s a long story on both but both kids were basically forced to a new schools this year because of the TSSAA rules. It’s normally 1 to 2 transfers a year into D2 and there is almost always a backstory on why those kids transfer into a D2 program outside of wrestling. 

9 minutes ago, durdon said:

Actually, there were only 2 transfers this year into D2 with kids that participated at the state tournament.  Wysong and Horst. It’s a long story on both but both kids were basically forced to a new schools this year because of the TSSAA rules. It’s normally 1 to 2 transfers a year into D2 and there is almost always a backstory on why those kids transfer into a D2 program outside of wrestling. 

Bates (Did not wrestle)
Bowers
Horst
Miller
Pace
Wysong

Any others? 

I mis-read, I thought it said Harper transferred from a HS in Georgia, but he is only a freshman.

13 minutes ago, FRHSIrishVol said:

Bates (Did not wrestle)
Bowers
Horst
Miller
Pace
Wysong

Any others? 

I mis-read, I thought it said Harper transferred from a HS in Georgia, but he is only a freshman.

Bowers, Miller and Pace were the year before.  So there were 3 that year and there is a back story on all 3.  

This year there were only 2 transfers. 

4 minutes ago, durdon said:

Bowers, Miller and Pace were the year before.  So there were 3 that year and there is a back story on all 3.  

This year there were only 2 transfers. 

So 3 each year. Bates did transfer and wrestler for Baylor he just didn’t finish the year, so Bates, Horst and Wysong and Pace, Bowers and Miller the year before 

4 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

So 3 each year. Bates did transfer and wrestler for Baylor he just didn’t finish the year, so Bates, Horst and Wysong and Pace, Bowers and Miller the year before 

Wysong and Miller both sat out a year, so I really don't have an issue with their transfers. The Bowers family moved across the state for personal reasons. But the other 2 transfers should not have been allowed. This type of move, gives these boarding schools a huge advantage that no one else can compete with. That along with the recruiting they are doing, just is way over the top. They brought in 2 new transfers and 3 new out of state recruits to make sure they won a title. Well, it worked, congrats. But does not show anything more than money can buy you just about anything. Except manners. Some of the parents, one man in particular, in the way they were acting during the 170 finals was ridiculous.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PurpleWrestler said:

Wysong and Miller both sat out a year, so I really don't have an issue with their transfers. The Bowers family moved across the state for personal reasons. But the other 2 transfers should not have been allowed. This type of move, gives these boarding schools a huge advantage that no one else can compete with. That along with the recruiting they are doing, just is way over the top. They brought in 2 new transfers and 3 new out of state recruits to make sure they won a title. Well, it worked, congrats. But does not show anything more than money can buy you just about anything. Except manners. Some of the parents, one man in particular, in the way they were acting during the 170 finals was ridiculous.

Was it fair that the TSSAA was not going allow Bates and Horst to participate for Beech this year since the school they were at that was co-op with picked up wrestling this year?  You have 2 high level kids who want to wrestle at D1 level and forcing them to be part of a brand new team would have hurt their development.  Sorry but the TSSAA rules forced that transfer.