AAA and DII State Recap

speakthetruth

If the Cleveland wrestler was not ejected, the official should have been.  How can an official not eject this wrestler?  The TSSAA must be more demanding of their officials and hold them to a higher standard.  Just like the 170 lb DII final, the official was out of their league.  If the officiating does not improve, we can anticipate more outbursts like this.

3 minutes ago, ObserverW said:

There were 31 wrestlers that came up short of their goal at the state tournament.  So your argument is all 31 of those should be overlooked if they decide to throw a temper tantrum because their coach hasn't taught them how to respectfully handle a loss?  Or is it only the Cleveland wrestlers who deserve to be overlooked for bad sportsmanship because they came in to practice on Sunday?

6 minutes ago, ObserverW said:

I never said any of it should be overlooked I did say that it’s an emotional sport. Be willing to pay with a team points if you don’t handle it well. Coming to practice on Sunday just reduces the chances of being on the wrong side of winning and losing. 

1 hour ago, Bigpopper71 said:

There are two sides to this coin. Yes, Cleveland has an attitude and well deserved. Despite some advantages here and there they have worked hard and are winning. With that attitude is a target. Things that happen in every match might be ignored but because it’s a Cleveland wrestler it gets called. I personally have never seen a Cleveland wrestler be anything but sportsmanlike until I saw the Jones match. Completely unacceptable behavior but in a tough fight your heart out sport, I don’t think this incident is a reflection of Cleveland’s program.

Never seen so much dislike for a region or a team than i have come state times. Happens every year. Last year was no exception when Sweeney beat Rippy. It was the refs fault and everything else. There are great wrestling and regions around this state. None will compare to region 4. None will ever catch up to region 4. Cleveland wrestlers are not bad. I don't even know Jones at all, but i got to meet him one night at an mexican restaurant before the Cleveland bradley match. One of the greatest kids i have ever talked to. Smart kid. As just like any kid in the country, sometimes you let your emotions overrule your thinking. I'm not saying being cocky and unsportsman like is right, but when you're on top of the mountain, it's gonna happen. Cleveland kids, coaches and everyone else that is incolved around wrestling knew that Cleveland was gonna run away with it. Great team. Sometimes when you know that you're great and unbeatable, your mindset runs off to an different place. Congrats Cleveland, Bradley and keep up with the dominance. Keep grinding region 4.

8 minutes ago, DaBears1976 said:

There are great wrestling and regions around this state. None will compare to region 4. None will ever catch up to region 4. .

"State Champions by region:

R1- 3

R2- 0

R3- 0

R4- 4

R5- 0

R6- 4

R7- 1

R8- 2

Total medalists by region:

R1-14

R2- 1

R3- 3

R4- 16

R5- 11

R6- 18

R7- 11

R8- 10

Regions 4 and 6 tie for state champs.. for what it’s worth all 4 R4 champs were from Cleveland. 

Region 6 wins the most overall medals with 18. "

Get off your high horse. Region 4 wasn't the best region in the state this past weekend. And stop thinking that because Cleveland and Bradley win tournaments that its ok for them to act this way. The kid took a freakin swing at another kid in a match and all I see is you region 4 people coming on here basically saying "oh well, that's what we do". You guys disgust me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ummmno said:

"State Champions by region:

R1- 3

R2- 0

R3- 0

R4- 4

R5- 0

R6- 4

R7- 1

R8- 2

Total medalists by region:

R1-14

R2- 1

R3- 3

R4- 16

R5- 11

R6- 18

R7- 11

R8- 10

Regions 4 and 6 tie for state champs.. for what it’s worth all 4 R4 champs were from Cleveland. 

Region 6 wins the most overall medals with 18. "

Get off your high horse. Region 4 wasn't the best region in the state this past weekend. And stop thinking that because Cleveland and Bradley win tournaments that its ok for them to act this way. The kid took a freakin swing at another kid in a match and all I see is you region 4 people coming on here basically saying "oh well, that's what we do". You guys disgust me.

This is coming from an wrestling knowledgeable guy that said Lundy didn't have a chance and would get majored easily. Correct me if im wrong, but which team and region brought home the trophy over the weekend? Wasn't the best? Ok... I'm not saying it's right to act that way. Like i said, sometimes kids let their emotions get the best of them and ot happened. Yeah he should have been ejected sooner. That is not what coaches teaches these kids. Especially in this region. Kinda like you're doing right now. You may be a great guy, but right now you're a whiny little feller over a region and kids. It happens to everyone. Especially in spotlights. 

1 hour ago, DaBears1976 said:

Cleveland wrestlers are not bad. I don't even know Jones at all, but i got to meet him one night at an mexican restaurant before the Cleveland bradley match. One of the greatest kids i have ever talked to. Smart kid. As just like any kid in the country, sometimes you let your emotions overrule your thinking. I'm not saying being cocky and unsportsman like is right, but when you're on top of the mountain, it's gonna happen. 

My youngest son is in 6th grade and last night he was reading in his Civics book about laws.  Have you ever heard of the Three Strikes Law?  Its a law that severely punishes those who have repeatedly ignored the law as if there are no consequences.  It was enacted because some kept committing the same crimes over and over.  These same guys would come to court with character witnesses telling how the offender was one of the greatest people they know and made a mistake and let their emotions overrule their rational thought. 

Not that it applies to anything here on the message board, I just thought it was interesting and wanted to share.  

Edited by ObserverW

Count the championships. Medals are cute but where’s region 6 state titles?,,,??? This talk has been goin on for years as to when the rest of the state is gonna catch Region 4, but yet nobody has brought home any hardware. Success brings hate, just ask Maryvilles football team. They recruit, got too much money, the refs are in their favor, etc. Once again the champs come from region 4. Now everybody has 358 days to take shots at Cleveland on how they cheat, and get everything handed to them. 

Again, no one is questioning Cleveland's dominance this year, but Region 4, as a whole, is no longer the envy of all others.  A team championship is great but from a region standpoint, Region 6 took home the leadership honors and the cool thing is, there isn't just one team that collects all the good kids and wins.  Region 6 has organically grown their programs and the high level of competitiveness in the region will soon lead to team championships.  Its coming.  Region 4 brace yourselves, you can keep those doors open on Sunday but unfortunately one school cannot keep your region atop the leaderboard.  

But I will agree that Cleveland most certainly won Most Salty this year.