Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Violet
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Maroon
  • Orange
  • Gold
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal

Welcome to the upgraded message boards!  Please note: if you have been using a username to sign in that is different than the handle (display name) displayed on the boards, you must now sign in with either your handle (display name) or the email address associated with your account.  If you don't know what this means, then it probably doesn't affect you!

Sign in to follow this  
speakthetruth

AAA and DII State Recap

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, fooseball95 said:

Jones actually is a good kid, every team has that fiery kid sometimes. He’s not the best at controlling his emotions. Kinda like Henley Headrick last year from Bradley. Good to hear he apologized. Hopefully he learned from it

Ah i remember the Mike Tyson biting match between Big Hen and the Wilson Central dude. Unfortunately it's always the last man that gets caught that gets kicked out of the tourney.  Believe it was twice that he got ejected. The biting match in state and seems like he couldn't even wrestle in the duals that year or year before. Tough darn good kid, but too hot headed. Regardless, teams cannot afford to lose kids during state. Could very well bite ya in the butt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DaBears1976 said:

Ah i remember the Mike Tyson biting match between Big Hen and the Wilson Central dude. Unfortunately it's always the last man that gets caught that gets kicked out of the tourney.  Believe it was twice that he got ejected. The biting match in state and seems like he couldn't even wrestle in the duals that year or year before. Tough darn good kid, but too hot headed. Regardless, teams cannot afford to lose kids during state. Could very well bite ya in the butt. 

Very true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, fooseball95 said:

nobody is taking up for him lol. You don’t take a shot at the whole team because of what he did. 

Very true. If it was only one wrestler losing points for his actions, it would be unfair to "take a shot" at the whole team. BUT when several wrestlers and the coach all lose points because of their lack of sportsmanship, as they say, where there is smoke there is fire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ObserverW said:

Very true. If it was only one wrestler losing points for his actions, it would be unfair to "take a shot" at the whole team. BUT when several wrestlers and the coach all lose points because of their lack of sportsmanship, as they say, where there is smoke there is fire. 

Cleveland lost 16 points for unsportsmanlike conduct. 13 of those belong to Mr. Jones. What he did was unacceptable. The remainder  involve two of the best young men I know and Coach Knox. The suggestion that there is a fire is laughable. Look at the team score difference between 1st and 2nd Place. heck you might want to start your own fire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JIII said:

Cleveland lost 16 points for unsportsmanlike conduct. 13 of those belong to Mr. Jones. What he did was unacceptable. The remainder  involve two of the best young men I know and Coach Knox. The suggestion that there is a fire is laughable. Look at the team score difference between 1st and 2nd Place. heck you might want to start your own fire.

Taking a quick look, I see no other teams that had 4 members of their team penalized.  I am not discounting the fact that Cleveland dominated the event, I am simply stating that winning a championship seems to be the only goal for the Raiders and when things don't go as they want, maybe they haven't figured out how to properly express their displeasure.  I thought wrestling was about more than winning medals.  Teaching sportsmanship, building character, etc. etc. etc.  But I guess that's none of my business.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ObserverW said:

Taking a quick look, I see no other teams that had 4 members of their team penalized.  I am not discounting the fact that Cleveland dominated the event, I am simply stating that winning a championship seems to be the only goal for the Raiders and when things don't go as they want, maybe they haven't figured out how to properly express their displeasure.  I thought wrestling was about more than winning medals.  Teaching sportsmanship, building character, etc. etc. etc.  But I guess that's none of my business.  

There are two sides to this coin. Yes, Cleveland has an attitude and well deserved. Despite some advantages here and there they have worked hard and are winning. With that attitude is a target. Things that happen in every match might be ignored but because it’s a Cleveland wrestler it gets called. I personally have never seen a Cleveland wrestler be anything but sportsmanlike until I saw the Jones match. Completely unacceptable behavior but in a tough fight your heart out sport, I don’t think this incident is a reflection of Cleveland’s program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bigpopper71 said:

There are two sides to this coin. Yes, Cleveland has an attitude and well deserved. Despite some advantages here and there they have worked hard and are winning. With that attitude is a target. Things that happen in every match might be ignored but because it’s a Cleveland wrestler it gets called. I personally have never seen a Cleveland wrestler be anything but sportsmanlike until I saw the Jones match. Completely unacceptable behavior but in a tough fight your heart out sport, I don’t think this incident is a reflection of Cleveland’s program.

So just to clarify your post...

 

1. Cleveland wrestlers DO have attitudes but they have earned the right to have attitudes bc they win?

2. You say that refs go out of their way to call penalties on Cleveland that they wouldn't call on any other team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ObserverW said:

Taking a quick look, I see no other teams that had 4 members of their team penalized.  I am not discounting the fact that Cleveland dominated the event, I am simply stating that winning a championship seems to be the only goal for the Raiders and when things don't go as they want, maybe they haven't figured out how to properly express their displeasure.  I thought wrestling was about more than winning medals.  Teaching sportsmanship, building character, etc. etc. etc.  But I guess that's none of my business.  

I suppose you think we should be ok with losing a match? Kids that compete at a high level are not ok with losing. It’s an emotional sport and sometimes that comes out in a negative manner. Character is developed at home and relying on a coach to do that is wrong. Winning Championships is what they put in all that work for year round. Cleveland practiced Sunday and the room was full of State Champs both returning and graduating and kids that came up short.So yeah maybe it just matters more in our town. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, facenthecrowd said:

Just watched the tape and this is disgusting.  Please tell me the Cleveland wrestler was ejected from the tournament.  If not, the official should be ejected as this was intentional on multiple occasions.  Now I know what the uproar was all about.  I missed it as I was watching another match.

Wow.  That is all I can say.

I wonder what the Cleveland fans are having to say about this after the way their team performed.  Cleveland looked dominant this weekend.  Sad to see this from one of their wrestlers.

 

 

 

Edited by CoachKramer
wrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JIII said:

I suppose you think we should be ok with losing a match? Kids that compete at a high level are not ok with losing. It’s an emotional sport and sometimes that comes out in a negative manner. Character is developed at home and relying on a coach to do that is wrong. Winning Championships is what they put in all that work for year round. Cleveland practiced Sunday and the room was full of State Champs both returning and graduating and kids that came up short.So yeah maybe it just matters more in our town. 

There were 31 wrestlers that came up short of their goal at the state tournament.  So your argument is all 31 of those should be overlooked if they decide to throw a temper tantrum because their coach hasn't taught them how to respectfully handle a loss?  Or is it only the Cleveland wrestlers who deserve to be overlooked for bad sportsmanship because they came in to practice on Sunday?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JIII said:

I suppose you think we should be ok with losing a match? Kids that compete at a high level are not ok with losing. It’s an emotional sport and sometimes that comes out in a negative manner. Character is developed at home and relying on a coach to do that is wrong. Winning Championships is what they put in all that work for year round. Cleveland practiced Sunday and the room was full of State Champs both returning and graduating and kids that came up short.So yeah maybe it just matters more in our town. 

 

This entire post is a joke.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Bigpopper71 said:

 With that attitude is a target. Things that happen in every match might be ignored but because it’s a Cleveland wrestler it gets called. 

Laughable!  I would argue just the opposite.  Jones was given way too much latitude.  He should have been ejected after the first flagrant punch to the back of the head.  He then missed on an intended crossface/punch and proceeded to try to twist the other wrestlers knee to hurt him.  I feel that wrestlers from 99% of other teams would surely have been ejected after the second incident.  I believe he was given way too much rope because of the singlet he was wearing.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Announcements



×
×
  • Create New...