Morristown East Hurricanes

EastTNGoogleGuy

It looked like the previous coached had a good resume from being a Head Coach of Campbell County and spending time at the collegiate level. Why did this not Translate to the Boys on the East Side. From the outside looking in, I would like to assume this can be a solid job.  Last 5 seasons. 

1. 2018: (2-8) 
  2. 2017: ( 4-7) 1st Round Playoffs
  3. 2016: (6-5) 1st Round Playoffs
  4. 2015: (3-7)  
  5. 2014: (6-5) 1st Round Playoffs         

Thoughts on what needs to happen moving forward??? 

You'd think it would be a solid job, but it's not.  The administration there is not supportive of football, fans and parents are crazy and throw coaches under the bus at every turn, and the top athletes typically transfer to Mo. West because it's been traditionally been a powerhouse.  The last several East coaches were absolutely miserable in the job.

With Mo. West being down at the moment, that might change things a little over the next couple of years, but East has traditionally struggled to win more than 5-7 games and that was when they had a supportive administration.  The principal who's been there for years now is a real jerk to work for and is very hard on teachers and coaches.  He's not going anywhere.

If you factor in the big new private school that's about to open and siphon talent from both Morristown schools, there are some major red flags with this job.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Bobcat4Life4eva said:

Any word up that way about Justin Anderson? Hearing he could be a name to watch?

Who is Justin Anderson?

Does that New School “Lakeway Christian” steal some athletes away away?

Tough road for the Hurricanes. However, may want to take a shot on a young upcoming coach to get some excitement like that basketball program. 

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:34 PM, EastTNGoogleGuy said:

It looked like the previous coached had a good resume from being a Head Coach of Campbell County and spending time at the collegiate level. Why did this not Translate to the Boys on the East Side. From the outside looking in, I would like to assume this can be a solid job.  Last 5 seasons. 

1. 2018: (2-8) 
  2. 2017: ( 4-7) 1st Round Playoffs
  3. 2016: (6-5) 1st Round Playoffs
  4. 2015: (3-7)  
  5. 2014: (6-5) 1st Round Playoffs         

Thoughts on what needs to happen moving forward??? 

Wells was the wrong choice to take over East Football program when Coach Hatcher lifted. The fault falls directly on East's administration. I try to talk too Principal Johnson after he hired Wells, that I didn't think he was the right guy to more East football to the next level. I was proven right, he wasted more talent than just about any coach East has had in the last 20 years. He couldn't win at Campbell Co. and he had more talent to work with in Morristown and still could win. What make matter worst was Morristown West has been down the past few years and he couldn't beat them; his record was 0-5. 2 of those years, East didn't score a single point.

Yes, the new private school is going to take some of the better athletes away from both schools, but the right coach could turn thing around. East has to hire a new principal (This is a good thing) before it can look for a new Head Football coach. I will have to disagree with the statement that there isn't support and the parents are always throwing the coaches under the bus. I have been an East High supporter since my son played there 16 year ago, and I travel to just about every football game. The reason some parents get upset with the coaches is because they lie to their sons. Repletely lying to people and messing over people children will get most parents upset.

Enough on the past, it is time to move forward. It is going to take the right coach to take over the program now, because the talent level is way down. Coach Wells did a very poor job with offseason weightlifting and conditioning that the new Head Coach is starting at ground zero. East has over 1600 students, so getting more players out is priority # 1. 2nd he got to do something with our middle school’s feeder programs. Our middle schools run whatever offense or defense they want and most of these kids have no clue what to do when they get to high school. East's next head coach has got to get the middle schools to run his offense and defense. I cannot speak for everyone on the East side of town, but for the right coach, many of us are willing to put our money where our mouth is.

Finally, we need a coach that has won a state championship or at least gotten their. We would be happy with one of the top assistance coaches from Maryville or Greenville, if they want to give Morristown a try.  Knowing how to win is half of the battle.

18 hours ago, EASTFAN said:

Wells was the wrong choice to take over East Football program when Coach Hatcher lifted. The fault falls directly on East's administration. I try to talk too Principal Johnson after he hired Wells, that I didn't think he was the right guy to more East football to the next level. I was proven right, he wasted more talent than just about any coach East has had in the last 20 years. He couldn't win at Campbell Co. and he had more talent to work with in Morristown and still could win. What make matter worst was Morristown West has been down the past few years and he couldn't beat them; his record was 0-5. 2 of those years, East didn't score a single point.

Yes, the new private school is going to take some of the better athletes away from both schools, but the right coach could turn thing around. East has to hire a new principal (This is a good thing) before it can look for a new Head Football coach. I will have to disagree with the statement that there isn't support and the parents are always throwing the coaches under the bus. I have been an East High supporter since my son played there 16 year ago, and I travel to just about every football game. The reason some parents get upset with the coaches is because they lie to their sons. Repletely lying to people and messing over people children will get most parents upset.

Enough on the past, it is time to move forward. It is going to take the right coach to take over the program now, because the talent level is way down. Coach Wells did a very poor job with offseason weightlifting and conditioning that the new Head Coach is starting at ground zero. East has over 1600 students, so getting more players out is priority # 1. 2nd he got to do something with our middle school’s feeder programs. Our middle schools run whatever offense or defense they want and most of these kids have no clue what to do when they get to high school. East's next head coach has got to get the middle schools to run his offense and defense. I cannot speak for everyone on the East side of town, but for the right coach, many of us are willing to put our money where our mouth is.

Finally, we need a coach that has won a state championship or at least gotten their. We would be happy with one of the top assistance coaches from Maryville or Greenville, if they want to give Morristown a try.  Knowing how to win is half of the battle.

A couple of things:

#1- Being an assistant on the staff of a winning program doesn't necessarily mean one would be a good head coach.

#2- Having won (or been to) a state championship at some point doesn't mean one would be able to rebuild a struggling program and turn it into a winner.

Edited by FightOnForWilliamBlount91

16 hours ago, FightOnForWilliamBlount91 said:

A couple of things:

#1- Being an assistant on the staff of a winning program doesn't necessarily mean one would be a good head coach.

#2- Having won (or been to) a state championship at some point doesn't mean one would be able to rebuild a struggling program and turn it into a winner.

Exactly.

There are lot of guys who've gotten jobs because they once coached at Maryville, Alcoa, or other successful programs and completely flopped as HCs.  Being around success doesn't necessarily guarantee succeed somewhere else, nor does walking into a good situation with a lot of talent mean a coach is going to be able to build the same type of thing elsewhere.

The programs that are extremely successful year in and year out usually have a lot more going for them than just the coaches in charge.   Talent is part of it, but so is administrative support, boosters, and culture.  Tradition may not suit up on Friday nights, but it sure helps to get kids into the weight room the other 9 months out of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to make sure I wasn't reading a thread for a school two of my sons played for.Strength and conditioning { times a thousand } is something I preached on for years.First,you need a coaching staff that can get the athletes walking the halls out for football  and then a strength and conditioning program that gives those athletes a chance to compete at their highest level.Knowing a little about x's and O's doesn't hurt anything,but it all starts way before summer practice and so many programs have yet to figure that out.My school { Greeneville } has been very fortunate over the last several years to have such a staff and win a few championships.Until then,only Morristown East,Tennessee High and Elizabethton had gotten it done in NET by way of the playoff system,and that tells me with the right staff,Morristown East could still get it done .