Morristown East Hurricanes

EastTNGoogleGuy

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 12:04 PM, OleBallCoach865 said:

Anything new? 

Caleb Slover the Head Coach at Cocke Country High school has been hired as Morristown East new Head Football ball coach. To say this is a surprise would be understatement. He was 18-44  at Newport with only one winning seasons ( last year 7-4 team) and Wells was 21-33 in his 5 or 6 seasons at Morristown East. He must have been great in his interview, because is resume as a head coach is just plain terrible. This is very disappointing East couldn’t find a more polishes or proven coach than Slover. I could be totally wrong, and Coach Slover could be the best football coach east’s has ever had, but based on the last 5 years with Coach Wells I wouldn’t think so. I really had very high hopes for East High new principal Ely, but this hired doesn’t make any since. I thought East wanted to complete with the big boys and make deep runs in the playoff. Is there anyone out there that things Caleb Slover is the man to do it? Please respond.

Edited by EASTFAN

1 hour ago, EASTFAN said:

Caleb Slover the Head Coach at Cocke Country High school has been hired as Morristown East new Head Football ball coach. To say this is a surprise would be understatement. He was 18-44  at Newport with only one winning seasons ( last year 7-4 team) and Wells was 21-33 in his 5 or 6 seasons at Morristown East. He must have been great in his interview, because is resume as a head coach is just plain terrible. This is very disappointing East couldn’t find a more polishes or proven coach than Slover. I could be totally wrong, and Coach Slover could be the best football coach east’s has ever had, but based on the last 5 years with Coach Wells I wouldn’t think so. I really had very high hopes for East High new principal Ely, but this hired doesn’t make any since. I thought East wanted to complete with the big boys and make deep runs in the playoff. Is there anyone out there that things Caleb Slover is the man to do it?

There's not a better offensive mind in East Tennessee than is Caleb.  What he did with no athletes, no numbers, and very little financical support at CCHS was admirable.  His team always scored points.  They simply, like a lot of schools, didn't have the numbers nor the quantity of athletes to be able to two platoon, and with todays fast offenses running 80-100 plays ever game, that's what it takes to be able to win on a big scale.  Kids can't play every down on offense, defense, and special teams and not feel the effects.  

This is a good hire for East, in my opinion.  I believe you'll be surprised at how well you did when all is said and done.  

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:23 PM, HTV said:

There's not a better offensive mind in East Tennessee than is Caleb.  What he did with no athletes, no numbers, and very little financical support at CCHS was admirable.  His team always scored points.  They simply, like a lot of schools, didn't have the numbers nor the quantity of athletes to be able to two platoon, and with todays fast offenses running 80-100 plays ever game, that's what it takes to be able to win on a big scale.  Kids can't play every down on offense, defense, and special teams and not feel the effects.  

This is a good hire for East, in my opinion.  I believe you'll be surprised at how well you did when all is said and done.  

I hope you are right about Coach Slover, because he can only sale his vision to east’s players with the resume he is carrying. The problem with Morristown East the pass 4 years has been they are too much of a fitness team on both sides of the line of scrimmage. East hasn’t been physical up front since Wells took over coaching 5 years ago. Based on what I have seen from Newport the past few years, it looks like the same fitness offensive Wells has been running with maybe better play calling. Caleb Slover teams hasn’t shown the type of physical spread offensive in his 6 years at Newport, why would it be any different at Morristown East? Greeneville is the best example I have seen the past few years running a physical spread attack. As much as I am disappointed in the hire, I am going to give him a chance to prove me wrong. It will start in are offseason weight room. Because East hasn’t looked like a team that know were a weight room is since coach Hatcher lifted. With all the size east has had last year up front, and they would continuously get physically whipped just about every game on both lines of scrimmage. That is coaching, when your lineman cannot bench their own body weight and they play with terrible fundamentals. We will find out real soon, if Caleb Slover is the right coach for East High. Their 1st game is against Morristown West, who we haven’t beaten in over 5 years. The main reasons we are 0-5 is because Morristown West has whipped East on the line of scrimmage and to some degree out coached Wells every year. I just like to see some progress with this team in the fall, like our strength and conditioning and discipline when we take the field.

43 minutes ago, EASTFAN said:

I hope you are right about Coach Slover, because he can only sale his vision to east’s players with the resume he is carrying. The problem with Morristown East the pass 4 years has been they are too much of a fitness team on both sides of the line of scrimmage. East hasn’t been physical up front since Wells took over coaching 5 years ago. Based on what I have seen from Newport the past few years, it looks like the same fitness offensive Wells has been running with maybe better play calling. Caleb Slover teams hasn’t shown the type of physical spread offensive in his 6 years at Newport, why would it be any different at Morristown East? Greeneville is the best example I have seen the past few years running a physical spread attack. As much as I am disappointed in the hire, I am going to give him a chance to prove me wrong. It will start in are offseason weight room. Because East hasn’t looked like a team that know were a weight room is since coach Hatcher lifted. With all the size east has had last year up front, and they would continuously get physically whipped just about every game on both lines of scrimmage. That is coaching, when your lineman cannot bench their own body weight and they play with terrible fundamentals. We will find out real soon, if Caleb Slover is the right coach for East High. Their 1st game is against Morristown West, who we haven’t beaten in over 5 years. The main reasons we are 0-5 is because Morristown West has whipped East on the line of scrimmage and to some degree out coached Wells every year. I just like to see some progress with this team in the fall, like our strength and conditioning and discipline when we take the field.

I can understand your frustrations because Cocke County is Morristown East's go to whipping boy and now you have their coach. 

12 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I can understand your frustrations because Cocke County is Morristown East's go to whipping boy and now you have their coach. 

If you think that Cocke Co and Morristown East have the same type of athletes, you're terribly mistaken. The guy rebuilt a program that no one wanted to be part of and made it at least a respectable job to take now. And didn't Cocke Co beat East last season? Give the guy a chance. I honestly think people will be surprised at what Slover will do at East.

Two things about Caleb Slover:

1.  He was hired on his college playing and coaching resume as much as what he has done as a HS head coach.  Before taking the Cocke County job, Slover was the Tusculum offensive coordinator and QB coach back when they were among the nation's leaders in passing yards and total offense.  What he had to run at Cocke County was just whatever he could cobble together from the players they had: some years, it was just taking his best athlete and putting him at QB to run around and be the entire offense.  At Mo-East I think you'll see something more like the old Tusculum air attack, which would set them apart in the conference.

2.  Cocke County is an EXTREMELY tough place to coach.  It's not just the lack of athletes and tradition, but also the lack of assistant coaches, money, and administrative support that make it hard to build anything there.  They cannot get or keep assistant coaches to help teach basic fundamentals or help out with anything and coaching at a 5A school is something no one, not even Nick Saban, could do all by himself.  The fact that Slover was able to hang on and coach there for years without being run off or fired for some political BS is a much bigger deal than people realize.  The fact that he was also able to rebuild them to playoff contention is another huge deal that people underestimate.

I think Slover will be ok and may pleasantly surprise some peoople.  However, I also know that Wells was a better coach than people give him credit for and we saw he got treated by fans on here.

Morristown East's biggest problem for the past several years has been that they've been soft up front on both sides of the ball, even when they had size and guys who looked like football players.  If Slover can improve the OL and DL play, either by bringing in new position coaches or just coaching up the coaches he has, they figure to make dramatic improvements.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlueDevil58 said:

1.  He was hired on his college playing and coaching resume as much as what he has done as a HS head coach.  Before taking the Cocke County job, Slover was the Tusculum offensive coordinator and QB coach back when they were among the nation's leaders in passing yards and total offense.  What he had to run at Cocke County was just whatever he could cobble together from the players they had: some years, it was just taking his best athlete and putting him at QB to run around and be the entire offense.  At Mo-East I think you'll see something more like the old Tusculum air attack, which would set them apart in the conference.

2.  Cocke County is an EXTREMELY tough place to coach.  It's not just the lack of athletes and tradition, but also the lack of assistant coaches, money, and administrative support that make it hard to build anything there.  They cannot get or keep assistant coaches to help teach basic fundamentals or help out with anything and coaching at a 5A school is something no one, not even Nick Saban, could do all by himself.  The fact that Slover was able to hang on and coach there for years without being run off or fired for some political BS is a much bigger deal than people realize.  The fact that he was also able to rebuild them to playoff contention is another huge deal that people underestimate.

I think Slover will be ok and may pleasantly surprise some peoople.  However, I also know that Wells was a better coach than people give him credit for and we saw he got treated by fans on here.

Morristown East's biggest problem for the past several years has been that they've been soft up front on both sides of the ball, even when they had size and guys who looked like football players.  If Slover can improve the OL and DL play, either by bringing in new position coaches or just coaching up the coaches he has, they figure to make dramatic improvements.

Spot on.  

• Like 1

I'm sure the new coach will do fine at Morristown East. Just saying I can understand someone wondering why. No doubt coaching at Cocke County would be a very hard job for any coach no matter who they are. The only time I've ever seen a Morristown East game was back in 2013 when they were 10-1 playing Maryville in the second round of the playoffs only to lose 49-7.

12 hours ago, BlueDevil58 said:

I am not going to debate, if Wells was a better coach then he gets correct for. Bottom line is he didn’t win enough games, and his teams were soft and very undisciplined. My concerns are we going down the same road with Slover. Let’s give him a chance is the same crap I hear from principal Johnson 5 years ago. I told him to his face that he made a bad hire. Wells didn’t know how to win, and his pasted recorder at Campbell Co. proves it. Their will be no honeymoon period at Morristown East for Slover. I want East to complete for championship and I understand this year team is low on talent and winning 5 games maybe the best Slover can do in year one. But their needs to be some type of progress on the field, like being more physical, discipline (not making stupid personal foul penalty) and a plan with the middle schools and freshman football programs. As unfair as it is to Slover, 18-44 is just not going to cut it at Morristown East. We will see this fall if he was the right hire or not, it is just hard for me to believe he will do any better at East than Newport. He will have the same problem trying to get kids out of the hallways and buying into his system he had in Newport.

6 hours ago, EASTFAN said:

I am not going to debate, if Wells was a better coach then he gets correct for. Bottom line is he didn’t win enough games, and his teams were soft and very undisciplined. My concerns are we going down the same road with Slover. Let’s give him a chance is the same crap I hear from principal Johnson 5 years ago. I told him to his face that he made a bad hire. Wells didn’t know how to win, and his pasted recorder at Campbell Co. proves it. Their will be no honeymoon period at Morristown East for Slover. I want East to complete for championship and I understand this year team is low on talent and winning 5 games maybe the best Slover can do in year one. But their needs to be some type of progress on the field, like being more physical, discipline (not making stupid personal foul penalty) and a plan with the middle schools and freshman football programs. As unfair as it is to Slover, 18-44 is just not going to cut it at Morristown East. We will see this fall if he was the right hire or not, it is just hard for me to believe he will do any better at East than Newport. He will have the same problem trying to get kids out of the hallways and buying into his system he had in Newport.

In my lifetime Cocke County has always produced one losing team right after the other so there has to be some kind of cancer inside that system that won't let them win. I can name another dozen schools like that and it would take a major rebuilding effort that might take years to even see small results. I promise you if HTV has high expectations for this new coach that is good enough for me because he has seen just as much as I have.