Morristown East Hurricanes

EastTNGoogleGuy

5 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

In my lifetime Cocke County has always produced one losing team right after the other so there has to be some kind of cancer inside that system that won't let them win. I can name another dozen schools like that and it would take a major rebuilding effort that might take years to even see small results. I promise you if HTV has high expectations for this new coach that is good enough for me because he has seen just as much as I have. 

I simply know that Caleb is a very good offensive mind who did well at CCHS with less than nothing to work with. His teams always scored points.  If he can find a good DC and have an opportunity to play more than 12-15 players he'll do well.  

That said, I believe that some of the East fans need to get a grip on expectations and where that program is right now.  Even had they lured Billy Seals from West Virginia back home, it's not an overnight fix with that program.  The talent level just isn't there yet, and that comes from folks I trust very much who cover that program on a regular basis, and not from me.  The program needs talent and numbers, and that's not going to happen quickly.  It does take time. 

I'm not going to dog Dwayne Wells.  He's a a good guy and he does a good job as a football coach.  But, again, those with a lot better knowlege of that program than me tell me that for whatever reason he just never did connect with that community, nor the community with him.  Sometimes it's just not a good fit.  

And to add to the issue for both East and West, the new Lakeway School program is going to get it's share of talent from both zones, as well.  Both are going to have to work harder to keep those kids in the public schools and in its sport programs.    

Edited by HTV
  • Upvote 1

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:12 PM, HTV said:

I simply know that Caleb is a very good offensive mind who did well at CCHS with less than nothing to work with. His teams always scored points.  If he can find a good DC and have an opportunity to play more than 12-15 players he'll do well.  

That said, I believe that some of the East fans need to get a grip on expectations and where that program is right now.  Even had they lured Billy Seals from West Virginia back home, it's not an overnight fix with that program.  The talent level just isn't there yet, and that comes from folks I trust very much who cover that program on a regular basis, and not from me.  The program needs talent and numbers, and that's not going to happen quickly.  It does take time. 

I'm not going to dog Dwayne Wells.  He's a a good guy and he does a good job as a football coach.  But, again, those with a lot better knowlege of that program than me tell me that for whatever reason he just never did connect with that community, nor the community with him.  Sometimes it's just not a good fit.  

And to add to the issue for both East and West, the new Lakeway School program is going to get it's share of talent from both zones, as well.  Both are going to have to work harder to keep those kids in the public schools and in its sport programs.    

I believe you are right as far as East fans expectations for the program right now. The talent level is down, but East should be able to field 60-65 players. There is some talent walking the hallways at East now and I can think of at least 3 right of the top of my head. I even talked to one those kids on why he wasn’t playing football when he was so good in middle school. He told me that Basketball had better coaches, and he had a better chance of go to a D-1 college, then if he plays football. He asked me who on East football team lately has signed a division one scholarship. I told him that D-1 scholarship are hard to come by no matter what sports you playing, and him being around 6 foot 2 inches tall, football might be is best chance at getting a D-1 scholarship. He said he will decide after the new head coach is hired.

That is why I have been so concern with the hiring of Slover. We are already having to deal with the new Lakeway School off exit 4, which has hired some of the best coaches for their sports program just about anywhere. That is why many of East football supporters wanted a proven name coach or at least one with a very good winning % at a premier football program. It is a lot easier to get 4 or 5 kids out of the hallways when you can sale a track record of winning and completing for championship. It also can never hurt, if one of your former players made it all the way to the NFL like James Steward from Morristown West.

I am not saying Coach Slover is a bad coach or will do a bad job at East. I just think it makes it so much harder to sale a vision then winning results. Coach Slover is our head football coach, so this point on, I will not complain anymore about the hire. Spring practice starts today, and I am not sure how much of Slover system he can install in such a short period of time. Regardless, the weight-room and offseason conditioning will determine East fate this fall. Just maybe, if Coach Slover can show some result in the weight room and on the field, this fall. Some of those kids walking the hallways will want to be part of Coach Slover football program.

Edited by EASTFAN

10 minutes ago, EASTFAN said:

I believe you are right as far as East fans expectations for the program right now. The talent level is down, but East should be able to field 60-65 players. There is some talent walking the hallways at East now and I can think of at least 3 right of the top of my head. I even talked to one those kids on why he wasn’t playing football when he was so good in middle school. He told me that Basketball had better coaches, and he had a better chance of go to a D-1 college, then if he plays football. He asked me who on East football team lately has signed a division one scholarship. I told him that D-1 scholarship are hard to come by no matter what sports you playing, and him being around 6 foot 2 inches tall, football might be is best chance at getting a D-1 scholarship. He said he will decide after the new head coach is hired.

That is why I have been so concern with the hiring of Slover. We are already having to deal with the new Lakeway School off exit 4, which has hired some of the best coaches for their sports program just about anywhere. That is why many of East football supporters wanted a proven name coach or at least one with a very good winning % at a premier football program. It is a lot easier to get 4 or 5 kids out of the hallways when you can sale a track record of winning and completing for championship. It also can never hurt, if one of your former players made it all the way to the NFL like James Steward from Morristown West.

I am not saying Coach Slover is a bad coach or will do a bad job at East. I just think it makes it so much harder to sale a vision then winning results. Coach Slover is our head football coach, so this point on, I will not complain anymore about the hire. Spring practice starts today, and I am not sure how much of Slover system he can install in such a short period of time. Regardless, the weight-room and offseason conditioning will determine East fate this fall. Just maybe, if Coach Slover can show some result in the weight room and on the field, this fall. Some of those kids walking the hallways will want to be part of Coach Slover football program.

I understand, but who short of BIlly Seals would East have been happy with, and who realistically were they going to be able to get in this cycle?  And Seals wasn't coming.  I understand his East ties, but he turned down Dobyns-Bennett last year.  If he wasn't going to take the DB job, he wasn't going to take the East job.

You can't force a coach to have interest in a job, and the bottom line is that the two best applicants were Caleb and Mike Clowney.  Both are good football coaches.  Those were the choices.  

8 hours ago, HTV said:

I understand, but who short of BIlly Seals would East have been happy with, and who realistically were they going to be able to get in this cycle?  And Seals wasn't coming.  I understand his East ties, but he turned down Dobyns-Bennett last year.  If he wasn't going to take the DB job, he wasn't going to take the East job.

You can't force a coach to have interest in a job, and the bottom line is that the two best applicants were Caleb and Mike Clowney.  Both are good football coaches.  Those were the choices.  

My understanding is they had over 30 applicants shown interest in the Job, and Billy Seals was never a candidate because of what you stated above. Mike Clownery is he the offensive coordinator for Carson Newman

At this point, who was interest or not makes no different. Coach Slover is the head coach now and we must help him in turning the program around. 1st thing Coach Slover needs to do is have a meet and greet with the community. This is something Wells never did, and I believe this had a lot to do with his disconnect he had with people on the East side of town.  Many of us do not have son playing anymore, and our only information into the program comes from sources that could be true or not about what is going on in the football program. Just like Coach Slover stated in the Morristown newspaper that he needs everyone from the players and parents, and supporter to buy in. Most of us do not know anything about him, or what type of offensive, defense, or special teams he is wanting to run. How many new coaches will he be hiring? Will any of the coaches off Wells staff remain? Don Woods of Morristown West was the best at connecting with the community. He would have a Thursday night film breakdown session ( only for home games) of next week opponent and a short breakdown of last week’s game. This wasn’t an ask the coach session, he would talk and show film for 30 mins and leave. The booster club would provide drinks and a snack.

I just think something like what I described above would get the community connected with Coach Slover and his football program. Everyone would be on the same page come Friday night. It is a lot easier to support the coach when you have an idea or understanding of what he is trying to do.

15 hours ago, EASTFAN said:

My understanding is they had over 30 applicants shown interest in the Job, and Billy Seals was never a candidate because of what you stated above. Mike Clownery is he the offensive coordinator for Carson Newman

At this point, who was interest or not makes no different. Coach Slover is the head coach now and we must help him in turning the program around. 1st thing Coach Slover needs to do is have a meet and greet with the community. This is something Wells never did, and I believe this had a lot to do with his disconnect he had with people on the East side of town.  Many of us do not have son playing anymore, and our only information into the program comes from sources that could be true or not about what is going on in the football program. Just like Coach Slover stated in the Morristown newspaper that he needs everyone from the players and parents, and supporter to buy in. Most of us do not know anything about him, or what type of offensive, defense, or special teams he is wanting to run. How many new coaches will he be hiring? Will any of the coaches off Wells staff remain? Don Woods of Morristown West was the best at connecting with the community. He would have a Thursday night film breakdown session ( only for home games) of next week opponent and a short breakdown of last week’s game. This wasn’t an ask the coach session, he would talk and show film for 30 mins and leave. The booster club would provide drinks and a snack.

I just think something like what I described above would get the community connected with Coach Slover and his football program. Everyone would be on the same page come Friday night. It is a lot easier to support the coach when you have an idea or understanding of what he is trying to do.

And I think Caleb will do just what you are asking for.  He's a very personable guy.

Caleb is a spread offensive guy, but he is also smart enough to adapt to the personnel he has. 

It's my understanding that at this point 4 coaches are being retained.  Could end up being more.  Caleb will put together a good staff.  

8 hours ago, HTV said:

And I think Caleb will do just what you are asking for.  He's a very personable guy.

Caleb is a spread offensive guy, but he is also smart enough to adapt to the personnel he has. 

It's my understanding that at this point 4 coaches are being retained.  Could end up being more.  Caleb will put together a good staff.  

Maybe he could do something around the end off spring practice. I am assuming the scrimmage against Knox Karns will be in Morristown. That would be a great time to have a meet and greet the community event before the scrimmage. Coach Slover wouldn't have to answers a lot of question, but he could express his vision and what plans he has for summer workouts.

Also, how is the team looking this spring? How many players do we have out, and do we have any size and speed?

12 hours ago, EASTFAN said:

Maybe he could do something around the end off spring practice. I am assuming the scrimmage against Knox Karns will be in Morristown. That would be a great time to have a meet and greet the community event before the scrimmage. Coach Slover wouldn't have to answers a lot of question, but he could express his vision and what plans he has for summer workouts.

Also, how is the team looking this spring? How many players do we have out, and do we have any size and speed?

I've been told around 55 players out right now, excluding track and baseball guys. I can't really speak for personnel.  I'm not that close. 

Also understand that there is going to be a meet and great after Thursday's practice.   

7 hours ago, HTV said:

I've been told around 55 players out right now, excluding track and baseball guys. I can't really speak for personnel.  I'm not that close. 

Also understand that there is going to be a meet and great after Thursday's practice.   

As soon as you can posted the detail for Thursday's meeting would be great. I plan on being there.

18 hours ago, EASTFAN said:

As soon as you can posted the detail for Thursday's meeting would be great. I plan on being there.

I don't know the details.  Best thing for you to do is to call the school and ask for the football office. 

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:27 PM, HTV said:

I don't know the details.  Best thing for you to do is to call the school and ask for the football office. 

I missed out on the meet and greed with Coach Slover last Thursday evening, because I was out of town on business. How many coaches did he keep from Wells Staff? What position will these coaches be coaching? The reason I am asking is because I heard East got whipped in their scrimmage against Knox Karns last week. The offensive & defensive lines got push around again, and East doesn't have any speed in the backfield. Unless Coach Slover address the offensive & Defensive line issues he will have no shot of running a spread offensive. To tell the truth, if East is lacking speed, He needs to try some other type of offensive. I really hope he has a plan for summer workouts and will adjust his offensive and defense to what personal he has. If he tries to run the spread offensive with East's lack of speed and no athlete, East will be lucky to win 2 games this fall. I knew whoever got this Job was in for a complete rebuild of the offensive and defensive lines. Coach Slover has got to find a way to get some of the speed on the track team out for football. I wish him luck, because getting whipped by Knox Karns is not a way to get those athletes out.

Edited by EASTFAN

What’s he been there a week? Already complaining about something that you were not even at. If line is is as weak as you say don’t think you can fix that over night.Could it be the speed guys were in baseball or track? ME had probably top Fresh class in area. They may have to depend on Soph’s this season as they build. 

Way at too early to criticize the hire and give up next season.

• Upvote 1