AAA State Regional Breakdown

Bump11

Most of the growth in wrestling that I have observed is due to new schools being built (established) and wrestling being a sport that is offered.  In no way have I witnessed growth from the small rural Class A schools due to the TSSAA offering a state wrestling championship classification for D1 A-AA.  

Edited by cbg
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, CoachBray said:

I would realign the regions like this:

Region 1

Cocke Co. High School (Newport, TN)
Daniel Boone High School (Gray, TN)
David Crockett High School (Jonesborough, TN)
Dobyns Bennett High School (Kingsport, TN)
Jefferson Co. High School (Dandridge, TN)
Morristown-Hamblen High School East (Morristown, TN)
Morristown-Hamblen High School West (Morristown, TN)
Science Hill High School (Johnson City, TN)
Sevier Co. High School (Sevierville, TN)
Tennessee High School (Bristol, TN)

Volunteer High School (Church Hill, TN)

Region 2

Anderson Co. High School (Clinton, TN)
Clinton High School (Clinton, TN)
Karns High School (Knoxville, TN)
Knoxville Halls High School (Knoxville, TN)
Powell High School (Powell, TN)
Seymour High School (Seymour, TN)
South-Doyle High School (Knoxville, TN)
Bearden High School (Knoxville, TN)
Farragut High School (Knoxville, TN)
Hardin Valley Academy (Knoxville, TN)
Heritage High School (Maryville, TN)
Knoxville Catholic High School (Knoxville, TN)
Maryville High School (Maryville, TN)
Stone Memorial High School (Crossville, TN)

William Blount High School (Maryville, TN)

Region 3

Bradley Central High School (Cleveland, TN)
Cleveland High School (Cleveland, TN)
East Hamilton High School (Ooltewah, TN)
McMinn Co. High School (Athens, TN)
Ooltewah High School (Ooltewah, TN)
Rhea County High School (Evensville, TN)
Soddy-Daisy High School (Soddy-Daisy, TN)

Walker Valley High School (Cleveland, TN)

Region 4

Blackman High School (Murfreesboro, TN)
Coffee Co. Central High School (Manchester, TN)
Franklin Co. High School (Winchester, TN)
LaVergne High School (La Vergne, TN)
Oakland High School (Murfreesboro, TN)
Riverdale High School (Murfreesboro, TN)
Shelbyville Central High School (Shelbyville, TN)
Siegel High School (Murfreesboro, TN)
Smyrna High School (Smyrna, TN)
Stewarts Creek High School (Smyrna, TN)
Tullahoma High School (Tullahoma, TN)
Warren Co. High School (McMinnville, TN)

White Co. High School (Sparta, TN)

Region 5

Beech Senior High School (Hendersonville, TN)
Clarksville High School (Clarksville, TN)
Hendersonville High School (Hendersonville, TN)
Kenwood High School (Clarksville, TN)
Lebanon High School (Lebanon, TN)
Montgomery Central High School (Cunningham, TN)
Mt. Juliet High School (Mt. Juliet, TN)
Northeast High School (Clarksville, TN)
Northwest High School (Clarksville, TN)
Rossview High School (Clarksville, TN)
Springfield High School (Springfield, TN)
West Creek High School (Clarksville, TN)

Wilson Central High School (Lebanon, TN)

Region 6

Brentwood High School (Brentwood, TN)
Centennial High School (Franklin, TN)
Columbia Central High School (Columbia, TN)
Dickson Co. High School (Dickson, TN)
Franklin High School (Franklin, TN)
Independence High School (Thompson's Station, TN)
Lawrence Co. High School (Lawrenceburg, TN)
Page High School (Franklin, TN)
Ravenwood High School (Brentwood, TN)
Spring Hill High School (Columbia, TN)

Summit High School (Spring Hill, TN)

Region 7

Antioch High School (Antioch, TN)
Cane Ridge High School (Antioch, TN)
Cookeville High School (Cookeville, TN)
Glencliff High School (Nashville, TN)
Hillsboro High School (Nashville, TN)
Hillwood High School (Nashville, TN)
Hunters Lane High School (Nashville, TN)
John Overton High School (Nashville, TN)

McGavock High School (Nashville, TN)

Region 8

Arlington High School (Arlington, TN)
Bartlett High School (Bartlett, TN)
Bolton High School (Arlington, TN)
Brighton High School (Brighton, TN)
Collierville High School (Collierville, TN)
Cordova High School (Cordova, TN)
Germantown High School (Germantown, TN)
Houston High School (Germantown, TN)
Kingsbury High School (Memphis, TN)
Munford High School (Munford, TN)
Ridgeway High School (Memphis, TN)**
Southwind High School (Memphis, TN)
White Station High School (Memphis, TN)

Since we have to drive thru region 7 to get to any of the clarksville schools it would make sense putting MJ, Lebanon and WC in that region or we are even closer to region 4 schools than the clarksville area schools.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, CoachKramer said:

Since we have to drive thru region 7 to get to any of the clarksville schools it would make sense putting MJ, Lebanon and WC in that region or we are even closer to region 4 schools than the clarksville area schools.

Why would you place Cookeville in the MNPS region?  Would it not make more geographical since to put them in the region with Rutherford County and Warren County.  I personally hate it that all the MNPS teams are in the same region because it really gives them no incentive to get better.

2 hours ago, werazzlin said:

suppose to be 2 new AAA district 11 teams for next year. Gallatin and Green Hill. So the sport is growing.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the sport is growing". If you mean schools added then yes. If you mean by overall participation numbers, then a definite no. Here are the facts:

Let me just mention 1 interesting fact. Since it's peek in 2013, boys participation in wrestling in the state of TN is down 13%. Yet there's a 9% increase in the number of schools that have wrestling.  A 5% increase in high school students over the same period.

I'm not sure what to make of this, but I don't see the "build it and they will come" approach working. I simply see more schools, less wrestlers per school and the pool very watered down. 

No one wants to admit when mistakes are made. 

http://www.nfhs.org/ParticipationStatics/ParticipationStatics.aspx/

Edited by Newestguy

15 minutes ago, Newestguy said:

No one wants to admit when mistakes are made.

You are correct!  It's just like NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND  or NEW MATH which both have been proven to be a total joke.  If you want wrestling to grow in Tennessee you have to make the grand prize super special.  Place everyone back together, have a 32 man double elimination bracket for the state championship in a quality arena and watch interest levels soar.

• Like 2

You guys are preaching this for your own personal agendas. Yes it would be great to see one division. But exactly how does that “grow” the sport?  That just makes the top prize worth more. But other states have more divisions than TN and their numbers are up. Growing the sport starts at the youth level. Not at the high school level. Way too tough to start wrestling as a high schooler. 

16 minutes ago, cbg said:

You are correct!  It's just like NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND  or NEW MATH which both have been proven to be a total joke.  If you want wrestling to grow in Tennessee you have to make the grand prize super special.  Place everyone back together, have a 32 man double elimination bracket for the state championship in a quality arena and watch interest levels soar.

This is way too easy and straight forward of a plan for the TSSAA to get on board. It'd have to be way more complicated for them to agree with anything.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, WrestlingGod said:

This is way too easy and straight forward of a plan for the TSSAA to get on board. It'd have to be way more complicated for them to agree with anything.

I am the fan of the one division, but it is not in the world we live in today. We either embrace that we are able to compete and have teams (unlike Mississippi) or we quit coaching and showing support of wrestling. If I have a kid win state, the conversation will not be you are one of three state champions. It still means something and we have to accept the changes. Again, I am from the two division pull through. It was harder to place in those years, but the top 6 did not place. If we want to get anywhere it is seed the top 16 in a 32 man bracket instead of drawing. We see a lot of "finals" in the quarters and semis. My last comment about the split is this, separation at state is okay if we agree to schedule matches with small schools in duals or compete in tournaments. This is how we get the whole state better. We also need to add middle school wrestling. For my school, Memphis does not have middle school wrestling or people to run middle school teams. No matter the division it makes it hard to get multiple state qualifiers and multiple state placers when guys do not have experience.

10 minutes ago, wrestlingcoach125 said:

I am the fan of the one division, but it is not in the world we live in today. We either embrace that we are able to compete and have teams (unlike Mississippi) or we quit coaching and showing support of wrestling. If I have a kid win state, the conversation will not be you are one of three state champions. It still means something and we have to accept the changes. Again, I am from the two division pull through. It was harder to place in those years, but the top 6 did not place. If we want to get anywhere it is seed the top 16 in a 32 man bracket instead of drawing. We see a lot of "finals" in the quarters and semis. My last comment about the split is this, separation at state is okay if we agree to schedule matches with small schools in duals or compete in tournaments. This is how we get the whole state better. We also need to add middle school wrestling. For my school, Memphis does not have middle school wrestling or people to run middle school teams. No matter the division it makes it hard to get multiple state qualifiers and multiple state placers when guys do not have experience.

Just wanted to comment on the part I have highlighted above... if you have kids in the Memphis area who want to wrestle at the youth and middle school age there are plenty of clubs out there that would happily include them.  Not a good excuse for not getting kids started in the Memphis area due to lack of opportunity.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ghouse said:

Just wanted to comment on the part I have highlighted above... if you have kids in the Memphis area who want to wrestle at the youth and middle school age there are plenty of clubs out there that would happily include them.  Not a good excuse for not getting kids started in the Memphis area due to lack of opportunity.

I agree. Memphis had 6+ guys in the finals. Cannon, Artilies, Kerns, Antcliffe, the Bowers brothers, plus a few more D2 guys from CBHS.

Just now, ghouse said:

Outside of I-240, yes there are plenty of clubs. Most of these kids though do not have the resources to drive to these places. We are starting a club, but it takes resources to get a mat, shoes, headgear for kids who do not have the money. When we do not have money in our own high school program it makes it very difficult to start one. I understand the not excuse, but teaching and coaching 5-6 months on a low stipend to then turn around and run a club is time consuming and exhausting when you have a family as well. We do not have plenty of former wrestlers in the area that can coach a club team and run it well. Again, Memphis is just now really growing to its potential as you saw this year.