AAA State Regional Breakdown

Bump11

1 minute ago, JVstateChamp13 said:

I agree. Memphis had 6+ guys in the finals. Cannon, Artilies, Kerns, Antcliffe, the Bowers brothers, plus a few more D2 guys from CBHS.

Those are 3 teams. Those teams have great coaches and a well run farm system. Bartlett is getting there as well. Bolton had a kid place (freestyle). Those places are 25-30 minute drives to practice when kids parents work. Again, there are great club teams and these schools are succeeding, but in the middle of Memphis, what is there? You are creating culture, but it does not happen overnight when sports like football and basketball are played daily. 

2 minutes ago, wrestlingcoach125 said:

Those are 3 teams. Those teams have great coaches and a well run farm system. Bartlett is getting there as well. Bolton had a kid place (freestyle). Those places are 25-30 minute drives to practice when kids parents work. Again, there are great club teams and these schools are succeeding, but in the middle of Memphis, what is there? You are creating culture, but it does not happen overnight when sports like football and basketball are played daily. 

What Memphis needs is more funding for wrestling at public schools. It’s all about football, baseball, and basketball. Let’s quit playing with balls, and make wrestling the sport all the kids want to do.

Just now, JVstateChamp13 said:

What Memphis needs is more funding for wrestling at public schools. It’s all about football, baseball, and basketball. Let’s quit playing with balls, and make wrestling the sport all the kids want to do.

I do not mind those sports because that is how they get out to play, but again it is culture you have set and it takes time when you are in low-income schools. That is my point. Not that one division is better than the other, but the resources you have and location are big parts. Again, I came from a big school and coached at schools with 400 kids, 900 kids, and 2000+. There are big differences and what can be done. 

1 minute ago, wrestlingcoach125 said:

I do not mind those sports because that is how they get out to play, but again it is culture you have set and it takes time when you are in low-income schools. That is my point. Not that one division is better than the other, but the resources you have and location are big parts. Again, I came from a big school and coached at schools with 400 kids, 900 kids, and 2000+. There are big differences and what can be done. 

I agree with you there.

3 minutes ago, wrestlingcoach125 said:

There are 5 clubs registered in Memphis per aausports.org

Wave Wrestling

Bartlett Youth Wrestling (2)

Buzzards Wrestling Club

Arlington Wrestling Club

USAWrestling has these and

MidSouth Wrestling Club

Elite Wrestling Academy

ECS Eagles

All within 25 miles of the Memphis area. If you're unwilling to drive even 25 minutes to go to a practice then man I just don't know what to tell you. Of course numbers in Memphis aren't like they are in Chattanooga but they aren't like that in Nashville or Knoxville either. But to me, this all just sounds like excuses.

As for the small school split. I don't think ill ever be able to get behind that.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, WrestlingGod said:

There are 5 clubs registered in Memphis per aausports.org

Wave Wrestling

Bartlett Youth Wrestling (2)

Buzzards Wrestling Club

Arlington Wrestling Club

USAWrestling has these and

MidSouth Wrestling Club

Elite Wrestling Academy

ECS Eagles

All within 25 miles of the Memphis area. If you're unwilling to drive even 25 minutes to go to a practice then man I just don't know what to tell you. Of course numbers in Memphis aren't like they are in Chattanooga but they aren't like that in Nashville or Knoxville either. But to me, this all just sounds like excuses.

As for the small school split. I don't think ill ever be able to get behind that.

You are right they are excuses, hence why we are starting a club they can go to. I love kids, but not at the sake of not being a father to my own or a husband at home. At some point to when we are talking about the split being participation trophies, then kids and parents have to take responsibility (what we should be teaching in our room anyway). The other part is being good men and that priorities should be ranked. Spending 5-6 months with my kids are great, but these clubs are run by someone other than the head coach most of the time. Not having a paid assistant causes havoc trying to run a high school team, middle school or club team, while doing a full time job. We are teaching kids that other people are more important which is true, but this is why coaches leave or their family leaves. This is my two cents and take it or leave it, but I am setting an example for my students on how to take responsibility and be a good man. 

1 hour ago, PurpleWrestler said:

You guys are preaching this for your own personal agendas. Yes it would be great to see one division. But exactly how does that “grow” the sport?  That just makes the top prize worth more. But other states have more divisions than TN and their numbers are up. Growing the sport starts at the youth level. Not at the high school level. Way too tough to start wrestling as a high schooler. 

What agenda? If you mean I'm being selfish wanting to see a more exciting state tournament that's more competitive and in a real arena as opposed to a cow barn, then ok. I suppose I have an agenda. Maybe it's just me, but I like to get goosebumps at a state tournament, not animal crap dust on my tongue while trying to watch 3 state champions at once.

You are correct. Putting it back in one division won't help grow the sport. But splitting it up into 3 or 4 divisions doesn't help grow it either. It was just a weak excuse for splitting put out there by the sissy coaches that said one division was too hard. It wasn't fair. Wrestling should be fair. Having to compete with bigger schools and trying to overcome just doesn't teach kids the right lessons in life. When things get hard just scream "it isn't fair!!!"

Edited by Newestguy
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, wrestlingcoach125 said:

You are right they are excuses, hence why we are starting a club they can go to. I love kids, but not at the sake of not being a father to my own or a husband at home. At some point to when we are talking about the split being participation trophies, then kids and parents have to take responsibility (what we should be teaching in our room anyway). The other part is being good men and that priorities should be ranked. Spending 5-6 months with my kids are great, but these clubs are run by someone other than the head coach most of the time. Not having a paid assistant causes havoc trying to run a high school team, middle school or club team, while doing a full time job. We are teaching kids that other people are more important which is true, but this is why coaches leave or their family leaves. This is my two cents and take it or leave it, but I am setting an example for my students on how to take responsibility and be a good man. 

I was the head club coach for the Spartan Club for the past 4 years. I am married, have three kids, and did it for free. My kids loved going to practice and running around. I grew up with my dad coaching and myself and my three brothers would all go to practice and run around on the mats playing with the older kids. And that's just me, I know many many coaches across the state who have this exact story. Its just a part of wrestling.

Coaching is a sacrifice. You sacrifice time. You sacrifice sleep. You sacrifice money. But its not about you. Its about guiding kids to see the possibilities and the future they could have. Then helping them get there. 

Your kids can go to practice and play. Your wife can go watch or take an active role in managerial duties. But saying you don't want to do something because you'll miss your family is a cop out. There are plenty of ways to stay actively involved and keep them involved as well.

4 minutes ago, WrestlingGod said:

I was the head club coach for the Spartan Club for the past 4 years. I am married, have three kids, and did it for free. My kids loved going to practice and running around. I grew up with my dad coaching and myself and my three brothers would all go to practice and run around on the mats playing with the older kids. And that's just me, I know many many coaches across the state who have this exact story. Its just a part of wrestling.

Coaching is a sacrifice. You sacrifice time. You sacrifice sleep. You sacrifice money. But its not about you. Its about guiding kids to see the possibilities and the future they could have. Then helping them get there. 

Your kids can go to practice and play. Your wife can go watch or take an active role in managerial duties. But saying you don't want to do something because you'll miss your family is a cop out. There are plenty of ways to stay actively involved and keep them involved as well.

Again, no out. WE CREATED A CLUB THAT THEY COULD GO TO. We made a solution to the problem. I am glad that your kids can go and your wife helps out. I am not on here putting my personal life out there to defend why all the clubs are too far of a drive for parents to take their kids (most do not have cars) or putting students in my car. I am happy that this is a sacrifice you are willing to take. I am taking mine as well, but that is okay. I saw kids love a sport they have never been apart of. 

21 minutes ago, Newestguy said:

What agenda? If you mean I'm being selfish wanting to see a more exciting state tournament that's more competitive and in a real arena as opposed to a cow barn, then ok. I suppose I have an agenda. Maybe it's just me, but I like to get goosebumps at a state tournament, not animal crap dust on my tongue while trying to watch 3 state champions at once.

You are correct. Putting it back in one division won't help grow the sport. But splitting it up into 3 or 4 divisions doesn't help grow it either. It was just a weak excuse for splitting put out there by the sissy coaches that said one division was too hard. It wasn't fair. Wrestling should be fair. Having to compete with bigger schools and trying to overcome just doesn't teach kids the right lessons in life. When things get hard just scream "it isn't fair!!!"

I never said that the split helped it grow. I just said making to one does not do that either. 

1 hour ago, wrestlingcoach125 said:

Outside of I-240, yes there are plenty of clubs. Most of these kids though do not have the resources to drive to these places. We are starting a club, but it takes resources to get a mat, shoes, headgear for kids who do not have the money. When we do not have money in our own high school program it makes it very difficult to start one. I understand the not excuse, but teaching and coaching 5-6 months on a low stipend to then turn around and run a club is time consuming and exhausting when you have a family as well. We do not have plenty of former wrestlers in the area that can coach a club team and run it well. Again, Memphis is just now really growing to its potential as you saw this year. 

1 hour ago, wrestlingcoach125 said:

Once again I am going to jump in here and offer you a little help.  The Wave Wrestling Club run out of CBHS is inside of 240 (or right on it).  We will happily coach kids from anywhere that have an interest in getting started with the sport or continuing their off-season development.  I can't even begin to name the number of schools that kids from that club have attended as youth or high school.

We have donations of shoes and headgear that kids can use to minimize cost and I can gladly say we have never turned away an individual from the club or an event because they didn't have funds.

You talk a lot about needing to find the balance between family and wrestling.  Let others in the community help shoulder the burden.  No coach has to do it all if folks band together and pool resources.   You want to stay involved?  Great, come out and help during those practices.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2