Final 8 in D2 A

Mothman26

3 hours ago, chainsaw2 said:

Did anyone see the championship game?  Why so many technicals?  I didn't see it, but saw the score and it was pretty lopsided

I watched, I believe there were a total of 3 against TRA and one bench warning against Webb Knoxville.  I really couldn't tell you why any occurred.  One was called on player walking to the bench with his back to the official that called it... another was called on a player that was making sure his teammate got to the bench without getting another one, they must have got the numbers screwed up on that one.

I believe it was the coach's son, that's a senior (there are two of them) that fouled out early in the 3rd because of a technical.  It was tough seeing him sob in his father's arms after fouling out because of a technical... Webb was by far the superior team that day without the technicals, so I don't think it affected the outcome, but in the past it really seemed like you had to show an official up pretty good to get a technical...

It feels like I've seen a lot bad officials this year.  I think the best was the crew that did the Grace / CPA game. They let the players play and settle it on the court. They could have easily called a technical on us when some students ran onto the court prematurely with .8 seconds left in the game. I think the final four crew would have, I think the Elite 8 official that was 45 minutes late to our girl's game and then just butchered calls all night long would have, I think the angry little official that was a part of our regional championship crew would have...

I know it's hard to be an official, but... In the regionals I saw a player kick a ball into the stands and nothing was called, but then later call a technical for face guarding.

And it doesn't seem to be just high school. I think it was last night that I saw an NBA player get called for one by just starring... And don't even get me started on the 6 point call that cost Vanderbilt a win over Tennessee :)

Edited by BreadTruck44

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Bread for the insight.  Sounds like it was an "itchy" trigger finger on the technicals.  I'm glad the calls didn't really impact the game score wise, but may have cost some playing time for outgoing seniors which is bad.  On to baseball and before I forget....  Go Vols!

3 hours ago, chainsaw2 said:

Did anyone see the championship game?  Why so many technicals?  I didn't see it, but saw the score and it was pretty lopsided

I watched the game on TV and was disgusted by the officiating. 

You would think that a state championship game would include an officiating crew that was also considered very good (at least) at what they do. The female official was awful and the other two were not very good either.

The play that really bothered me was the last play of the 1st half (still about a 10 point game) ... TRA had just hit a shot and Webb was on a fast break trying to get a last second shot off ... the TRA player aggressively blocked the driving layup and came down pretty hard on the Webb player. A foul was immediately called, followed by a technical about 2 seconds later - even though the TRA player was walking away from the play and didn't appear to say anything to anybody (it was an obvious foul). They showed the replay and again, he didn't appear to say anything.

Make no mistake ... Webb was going to win the game ... big ... but the officiating was an embarrassment to the TSSAA.

Knoxville Webb was the best team we saw all year (by far), but we did not see CPA, Goodpasture or any of the West teams. I can't believe they only have 1 senior.

5 hours ago, chainsaw2 said:

Webb did what Webb does.....they shot lights out from 3 in the first quarter, scoring 29 pts. They played suffocating defense. Game over! TRA got behind, lost discipline and allowed emotion to take over. The officials all tourney were way too sensitive to anything that even looked suspect.....per, the Nashville guru of HS sports....Tom Kreager. He even tweeted about it and wrote a column on it, believe it or not. I disagreed with him some. He doesn't understand the difference between intensity and passion vs emotion. Emotion gets you T'd up.

Webb was the best team in the state in DII-A this year, once they figured out how to get their new starters integrated into their roles. They finished on a 17-game win streak. They probably beat the 2nd best team, Harding Academy, in that quarter-final at Webb last weekend.

Even if we would've had CJ at point all year, they would've still been tough to beat. It sure would've been fun to see. Sadly, that fateful trip to Oak Hill in December ended our hopes for a repeat. Our boys played their hearts out, but you simply can't lose a Mr. B-ball finalist, especially one that plays PG. It allowed everyone to concentrate on stopping Grant.

To beat it all, Sparty's four best players come back next year for their SR year. They likely will repeat, unless the other Webb School decides to play with discipline and not emotion. The Webb Feet have the best player in the state coming back, but he can't keep on the court in tough games, because he fouls too much....he plays with emotion.

All congratulations and respect go to the Webb Spartans. On to baseball season........

1 hour ago, OLDad said:

I watched the game on TV and was disgusted by the officiating. 

You would think that a state championship game would include an officiating crew that was also considered very good (at least) at what they do. The female official was awful and the other two were not very good either.

The play that really bothered me was the last play of the 1st half (still about a 10 point game) ... TRA had just hit a shot and Webb was on a fast break trying to get a last second shot off ... the TRA player aggressively blocked the driving layup and came down pretty hard on the Webb player. A foul was immediately called, followed by a technical about 2 seconds later - even though the TRA player was walking away from the play and didn't appear to say anything to anybody (it was an obvious foul). They showed the replay and again, he didn't appear to say anything.

Make no mistake ... Webb was going to win the game ... big ... but the officiating was an embarrassment to the TSSAA.

Knoxville Webb was the best team we saw all year (by far), but we did not see CPA, Goodpasture or any of the West teams. I can't believe they only have 1 senior.

Agreed on all accounts, especially that T on Anderson after he stopped the layup. That was completely ridiculous! You couldn't tell whether his brother said anything to get his T early in the 3rd qtr to put him out.

We've got two issues going on...IMO. Officials have become very touchy for some reason, not allowing any kind of emotions at all, which is not natural. They seem to want to set an agenda, making themselves more a part of the outcome than they should be. AND.....these kids are seeing way too much show-boating/jawing/taunting being allowed by college and pro athletes, so they think they're entitled to do the same. It sort of seems to me to be a sign of the times in general. Our society is going in the wrong direction. Parents and coaches can change this.......if they want to.

The best officiated game I saw all year was our game v CPA in the quarterfinal. The officials let the kids decide the game on the court. They called fouls sparingly, and both teams handled themselves with class and grit. It was a great game.....minus the outcome. :( 

It was good meeting you OLDad. I wish the best for you and your son! God bless!!!

1 hour ago, chainsaw2 said:

Thanks Bread for the insight.  Sounds like it was an "itchy" trigger finger on the technicals.  I'm glad the calls didn't really impact the game score wise, but may have cost some playing time for outgoing seniors which is bad.  On to baseball and before I forget....  Go Vols!

Go Vols? THAT.....WE CAN AGREE ON!!!! They've got some work to do to finish strong for a 1-seed. Its crucial this year, IMO. Fun to see a program and team doing things the right way and being rewarded for it. GO VOLS!!!!