Dekalb County/Jackson Co/LA

UCSportsFan

If someone would have told me 10 years ago that there would be a year where Dekalb County had more wins in a year than Jackson County Livingston Academy and Smith County COMBINED I would have laughed and bet everything I owned on it and LOST!   First of all let’s give credit where credit is due. Dekalb County’s players and coaches deserve a lot of credit. So hats off to them. Now to address the other side of this. How did perennial powerhouses like Jackson County and Livingston Academy’s program get so bad?  Same coaches so I don’t believe they all of a sudden stopped knowing how to coach. So is it lack of talent? Lack of effort? Lack of development at the middle school level?  Lack of commitment by the coaches and players? All of the above?  Maybe it’s none of the above maybe it’s just a cycle that all programs go through from time to time.  I’m going to say it’s the latter and say both of these programs will be back on top as long as the commitment is there from players parents and coaches starting at the grade school level!!  What a lot of people are about to see is how one school and coaching staff (Clay County) changes their entire program around. Both the girls and the boys programs at this school are committed to competing and winning and they are starting at the lowest level and building upward! Is this how Dekalb done it? Either way, congratulations to Dekalb County on doing the impossible!  Anyone else care to comment?  

Edited by UCSportsFan

2 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

If someone would have told me 10 years ago that there would be a year where Dekalb County had more wins in a year than Jackson County Livingston Academy and Smith County COMBINED I would have laughed and bet everything I owned on it and LOST!   First of all let’s give credit where credit is due. Dekalb County’s players and coaches deserve a lot of credit. So hats off to them. Now to address the other side of this. How did perennial powerhouses like Jackson County and Livingston Academy’s program get so bad?  Same coaches so I don’t believe they all of a sudden stopped knowing how to coach. So is it lack of talent? Lack of effort? Lack of development at the middle school level?  Lack of commitment by the coaches and players? All of the above?  Maybe it’s none of the above maybe it’s just a cycle that all programs go through from time to time.  I’m going to say it’s the latter and say both of these programs will be back on top as long as the commitment is there from players parents and coaches starting at the grade school level!!  What a lot of people are about to see is how one school and coaching staff (Clay County) changes their entire program around. Both the girls and the boys programs at this school are committed to competing and winning and they are starting at the lowest level and building upward! Is this how Dekalb done it? Either way, congratulations to Dekalb County on doing the impossible!  Anyone else care to comment?  

all of the above. It's not lack of coaching,  It's lack of development, involvement and cycle of kids,  No doubt Coach Brown and Coach Riddle can coach but "you can't take a mule, to the Ky derby".

2 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

At the end of the day, you have to have some players to win the game...

6 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

Let’s not forget the consolidation of HS’s in Clay Co. Hermitage Springs never dominated anyone but they always had a couple of solid players. Clay Co High has definitely benefited in athletics partly because of getting all those kids at 1 school. Especially the boys team...And yes, talent comes &  goes in cycles, especially at small schools

22 minutes ago, 89Bulldawg4life said:

Let’s not forget the consolidation of HS’s in Clay Co. Hermitage Springs never dominated anyone but they always had a couple of solid players. Clay Co High has definitely benefited in athletics partly because of getting all those kids at 1 school. Especially the boys team...And yes, talent comes &  goes in cycles, especially at small schools

How many years ago was this consolidation? My observation of Clay co. coaches is they use their best talent regardless of who they are or how many years a player has played for them!