Smith Co

Rade Butcher

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:45 PM, Shinerman said:

Trey Sanders is the new SCHS boys basketball coach.  The soap opera continues.

This makes somebody look plumb silly.  G-ville fires Sanders then hires SC girls coach for their boys coach,  Sanders is hired for SC boys coach.   Looks like SC come out ahead in this deal.

13 hours ago, Reynard said:

This makes somebody look plumb silly.  G-ville fires Sanders then hires SC girls coach for their boys coach,  Sanders is hired for SC boys coach.   Looks like SC come out ahead in this deal.

I think both programs benefited here. It was a win win in my opinion. Smith County is lucky to get a coach as good as Sanders considering their talent level at the moment. Gordonsville got a great coach in Coach Bibb he is a solid hire even though I hear he’s a UK fan haha. At least he can now wear all of his blue and white shirts!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iceman2000 said:

Not sure who came out ahead. What a mess!

There's got to be more to this than we know.  I figured Martin was the wildcard and someone was making a spot for him.

I think if SC choices were Bibb, Story, Martin or Sanders........they  ended up with the best man. 

1 hour ago, Reynard said:

There's got to be more to this than we know.  I figured Martin was the wildcard and someone was making a spot for him.

I think if SC choices were Bibb, Story, Martin or Sanders........they  ended up with the best man. 

Reynard,  we have the younger Sanders here at DeKalb. If you had the option to have either Sanders at Smith. Which one would you rather have as your Coach?

Crazy that you have Sanders in higher regard than Bibb and Martin. Interesting.  

I like the younger Sanders, hopefully this year will be a better year for the Tigers. 

18 hours ago, Iceman2000 said:

Reynard,  we have the younger Sanders here at DeKalb. If you had the option to have either Sanders at Smith. Which one would you rather have as your Coach?

Crazy that you have Sanders in higher regard than Bibb and Martin. Interesting.  

I like the younger Sanders, hopefully this year will be a better year for the Tigers. 

I know Trey, John, Patrick and Zack Sanders well.  You would be hard pressed to find a better group of men. That may be most of my reason for such high regard.

I think Trey and John are similar coaches, but different too. John played and learned from Trey but I think has put his on ideas and spin on things. I think at this point in time, I would probably take John as head coach with Trey as an assistant.  From everything I've seen, John has a competitive edge about him in everything he does and has a passion for the game. Something else I used to always be a critic of Trey  about was his use of big men while at SC. I didn't think he got as much out of them as he should have. ( that's just me) . I think John does, or tries to use them more when he has them. I hated when he left SC, and I know he had a rough start at DC, but I know the guy can coach. As can Trey.    

Don't know as much about Bibb as some. I saw some say he is  a great coach. My question would be, If he's a great coach, how come his last job was coaching SC girls. Evidently he coached somewhere before, and according to some was great. So why SC as girls coach?  Just asking.     And L. Martin seems to be a good coach, but I always though his teams underachieved.  I know talent is up and down, but sometimes I though he had better talent than what DC played. I remember 1 good season while he was there, one that sticks out anyway..(Sonny ??? played that season) ...but remember, I'm an SC guy. And don't follow basketball as much as I did.

Edited by Reynard

On 4/4/2019 at 1:22 PM, Reynard said:

I think if SC choices were Bibb, Story, Martin or Sanders........they  ended up with the best 

. Thought Smith Co hired a girls coach.  Can anyone confirm this.