Head Coach Openings

BigOrangeBaller

43 minutes ago, WhereYouAt said:

Is there anybody in the Wilkins family that don't coach? He will do a great job and has a good group returning.

Just because you have a great group of athletes doesn't mean that he will do a great job. I'm not set yet on how good of a coach he is. His only experience is at Obion County and what did he do with them while there? Not much. Just because you are from a good coaching family or been around coaches doesn't mean you are a good coach yourself. We have seen that with Holly at UT with the Lady Vols. I'm not saying he won't do a good job and be successful but I am not sold on him just let with what I have seen.

1 hour ago, sportslover88 said:

Just because you have a great group of athletes doesn't mean that he will do a great job. I'm not set yet on how good of a coach he is. His only experience is at Obion County and what did he do with them while there? Not much. Just because you are from a good coaching family or been around coaches doesn't mean you are a good coach yourself. We have seen that with Holly at UT with the Lady Vols. I'm not saying he won't do a good job and be successful but I am not sold on him just let with what I have seen.

Agree. They had a lot of talent last 4 years at OC and I don’t think they got out of first round of regions. Luckily for him Huntingdon dominates their district and should only have Loretto and Summertown to contend with in regionals.

Edited by AllVolHere

1 hour ago, AllVolHere said:

Agree. They had a lot of talent last 4 years at OC and I don’t think they got out of first round of regions. Luckily for him Huntingdon dominates their district and should only have Loretto and Summertown to contend with in regionals.

Region 7AA is one of the best in the best in the state and District 13AA is really tough. I look at this move as a lateral move for Coach Wilkins. Obion is not contending with Westview, Crockett, Southside, Lexington, Dyersburg, and Chester.

a lateral move because he is stepping down in class but he is in a better situation as far as winning. Only a few teams to deal with in his new region

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sportslover88 said:

6 hours ago, AllVolHere said:

Lot of talent? You got to be kidding me. They play and work out with us all summer. They have decent talent at best but he gets the most out of them. They beat us in the Christmas Tournament Championship by 12 or so in the 2017-2018 season. They beat Westview this year in the regular season. He lost his best player with ACL injury mid-January. He has definitely got more talent at Huntingdon than Obion. Obion' talent level is not the same talent level in years past. Huntingdon was scary with Fuller in the lineup. With Wilkins coaching now they will be real scary. They will start playing ball year round now and be well coached. I would be happy and Huntingdon is real happy to have him.

Edited by pioneer42

23 hours ago, Croppygenius said:

Coach Lowery's contract had expired so he is retiring. I'm satisfied with the hire. He's from a great coaching family that knows how to win. I'm very excited as the Fillies return a load of talent. He should be excited to inherit that kind of talent. Huntingdon girls play ball.

No high school coach has a contract.  It was his choice to retire and he does so with a tremendous career.  Congratulations Coach Lowery and Good Luck to Coach Wilkins.  Keep the winning tradition going.  

On 4/8/2019 at 9:49 PM, Croppygenius said:

Coach Lowery's contract had expired so he is retiring. I'm satisfied with the hire. He's from a great coaching family that knows how to win. I'm very excited as the Fillies return a load of talent. He should be excited to inherit that kind of talent. Huntingdon girls play ball.

Congratulations!!! I think you will be happy!! Basketball will be played year round now.

On 4/8/2019 at 1:01 PM, Croppygenius said:

David Wilkins new girls coach for the Huntingdon Fillies

I hope Coach Wilkins shows interest in some of the players coming up. I know hands are tied with high school coaches and what they can do with summer leagues and workouts, but I don’t know if I ever saw Lowery in a gym if the high school Fillies weren’t playing. 

4 hours ago, Waker said:

I hope Coach Wilkins shows interest in some of the players coming up. I know hands are tied with high school coaches and what they can do with summer leagues and workouts, but I don’t know if I ever saw Lowery in a gym if the high school Fillies weren’t playing. 

They will be working year round now. Obion practiced and played with us in offseasons.