Lunsford retires from cloudland

THE KING

I got a little teared up when I heard this.  I was there at the beginning in only Mike's 3rd season as a head coach.  The drive and passion of this man helped shape the tone of my life.  I had never been around anyone like this by the time I was 14 yrs old in 1991.  We're going to miss you, coach Lunsford.  I cannot believe how fast time has went by.  I look back at pictures and realize how much older we all have gotten.  While I knew this day would come, I was hoping to keep you around a few more years.  Its a shame that you had to be treated the way you were these last 3 years.  You deserved more respect.  I hope everyone knows just how deep in quicksand that the cloudland football program is in.  After this season,  it will be lucky to be there.  And if it does happen to survive,  the beatings it will endure will be a most humbling experience.  I don't delight in that at all.  I makes me sad because it could have been prevented. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, THE KING said:

I got a little teared up when I heard this.  I was there at the beginning in only Mike's 3rd season as a head coach.  The drive and passion of this man helped shape the tone of my life.  I had never been around anyone like this by the time I was 14 yrs old in 1991.  We're going to miss you, coach Lunsford.  I cannot believe how fast time has went by.  I look back at pictures and realize how much older we all have gotten.  While I knew this day would come, I was hoping to keep you around a few more years.  Its a shame that you had to be treated the way you were these last 3 years.  You deserved more respect.  I hope everyone knows just how deep in quicksand that the cloudland football program is in.  After this season,  it will be lucky to be there.  And if it does happen to survive,  the beatings it will endure will be a most humbling experience.  I don't delight in that at all.  I makes me sad because it could have been prevented. 

I hate to hear this. It is sad that a great coach like him would not be able to write the script on his exit. He had some great teams one of which I had the opportunity to play against. And if you were 14 in 1991 I played against you as well in 1992 in the second round of the playoffs. Ya'll were a very tough team and played extremely hard, which I am sure was a reflection of your coach. As for the program I hope it doesn't fall into disarray, there are too few 1A schools left that can put a good football team on the field. I hope you get someone that can continue the tradition up there good luck!!

3 hours ago, GHSblackhelmet said:

I hate to hear this. It is sad that a great coach like him would not be able to write the script on his exit. He had some great teams one of which I had the opportunity to play against. And if you were 14 in 1991 I played against you as well in 1992 in the second round of the playoffs. Ya'll were a very tough team and played extremely hard, which I am sure was a reflection of your coach. As for the program I hope it doesn't fall into disarray, there are too few 1A schools left that can put a good football team on the field. I hope you get someone that can continue the tradition up there good luck!!

I was a sophomore on that 92 team, but I rode the pine and kicked the Gatorade jug over.  The boys on the field were tough as nails.  Potter, Birchfield, Russell, and Clipse.  We just couldn't stop that Ryan and Satterfield combination.  As for the future,  It looks pretty bleak.  We have girls encouraging their boyfriends to get their eyebrows done.  Hard to find young men who'll wear a tasseled jacket like the king :lol:

Just now, THE KING said:

I was a sophomore on that 92 team, but I rode the pine and kicked the Gatorade jug over.  The boys on the field were tough as nails.  Potter, Birchfield, Russell, and Clipse.  We just couldn't stop that Ryan and Satterfield combination.  As for the future,  It looks pretty bleak.  We have girls encouraging their boyfriends to get their eyebrows done.  Hard to find young men who'll wear a tasseled jacket like the king :lol:

You have stones thats for sure!:thumb:

1 hour ago, Appvol said:

King I’m going to keep my mouth shut. Most knew it would only be 3 years and deep down you knew it to.

I didn't think it would.  I thought Mike would have a hard time walking away from coaching.  I hope we can get a decent replacement.  We'll be in trouble depth wise

I will miss seeing Coach Lunsford pace the sideline from across the field. I've only had the pleasure of seeing him stomp up and down the sideline in frustration from across the field once. I knew we had done something special when we had that man frustrated on the sideline. Great Coach , Great Man , truly one of my closest friends in the Coaching profession. He will be missed and I wish him the best. I hope he catches all the fish in Carter County now!