Class AAA Sectional Matchups

tonybologna

17 minutes ago, AndrettiSJ said:

You guys are saying artificial aid like the shot clock isn’t used on all levels. You can slow the game down and make every possession count with a 35 or 40 second clock I’ve seen it happen as have many others. Telling kids to hold the ball at half court isn’t some amazing strategy play basketball. 

That works both ways. The defense should play basketball. Get out there and put some pressure on the other team if you don’t like them holding the ball. Don’t matter how flat you make a pancake.... there is always two sides. 

1 hour ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

That works both ways. The defense should play basketball. Get out there and put some pressure on the other team if you don’t like them holding the ball. Don’t matter how flat you make a pancake.... there is always two sides. 

I’d imagine most of the teams that this strategy is used on do just that. Doesn’t change the fact you can play slow ball with a shot clock, upsets happen all the time in basketball. I’d be embarrassed if my kids’ team played like that.

29 minutes ago, warmachine7954 said:

What is the purpose of the shot clock?

In my opinion, it is used to develop players for the next level. Not only for the experience of playing with the shot clock prior to playing for University, but also to increase the amount of possessions in the game. More possessions = more development. 

I don’t think it’s valid to refer to the strategic side of it. Teams that “stall” are generally the inferior team. In fact, most teams that “stall” don’t do it for the purpose of the score being low. It’s merely a product of a team wanting to: 1) draw a team out of a zone. OR 2) Make the defense extend their pressure allowing for more space. 

I don’t think the shot clock being implemented drastically effects the game of Basketball. (Except of increased scoring :) 

1 hour ago, PantherTown said:

In my opinion, it is used to develop players for the next level. Not only for the experience of playing with the shot clock prior to playing for University, but also to increase the amount of possessions in the game. More possessions = more development. 

I don’t think it’s valid to refer to the strategic side of it. Teams that “stall” are generally the inferior team. In fact, most teams that “stall” don’t do it for the purpose of the score being low. It’s merely a product of a team wanting to: 1) draw a team out of a zone. OR 2) Make the defense extend their pressure allowing for more space. 

I don’t think the shot clock being implemented drastically effects the game of Basketball. (Except of increased scoring :) 

The shot clock was brought into play to increase scoring in the NBA. 

High school basketball isn't professional basketball. More possessions don't equal more development. That is done over the summer and in practice. Want more development? Take away the stupid restricted practice rules and let kids and coaches work together more.

So let the team that wants to sit in a zone have their advantage but not the other team? There is no reason a team can't hold the ball if a team wants to sit in a zone and not come out.  The NBA doesn't allow zone defense either (like high school and college). So should we take that away from high school players and coaches? In reality, you can't press in the NBA. Not because of rules but NBA players would break a full-court press very easily. 

There are so many things that make high school basketball and college basketball different the shot clock is an afterthought. The schedule, the academics, the travel, and the biggest one... the level of talent night in and night out. When you're in high school, unless you're at Oak Hill La Lumiere, Montverde, IMG etc...   Then there is no way you're playing the same level of talent on a regular basis.

Has a kid from Tennessee, or from anywhere, missed their chance at playing at the next level, JUCO, NAIA, DI, DII, DIII because we don't have a shot clock? I'd say that would be a no.

4 minutes ago, tonybologna said:

Yes they did. It will be a very tough task beating Wiseman & company.

We will have no answer for him lol. I was hoping we'd draw a team where we'd at least have a shot. Wanted to avoid East, Whitehaven and Bearden in the quarterfinals.

Edited by clevelandblueraiderfan
  • Like 1