Blackman at Cleveland

East Hamilton at Oakland

Brentwood at Station Camp

Gallatin at Franklin

Whitehaven at Bartlett

Bolton at Memphis East

Edited by tonybologna
taking bolding off so members can quote post with their picks in bold

There are some great matchups here. I have not had the chance to watch the East TN teams this year.

Brentwood and Franklin sweep 9AAA. 

I have not watched Cleveland/EH but I’ve seen Oakland/Blackman several times. Both teams are extremely well coached and will be tough to beat. (Not discrediting Cleveland/EH.)

East has to be the favorite for the remainder of the year, I would assume. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PantherTown said:

There are some great matchups here. I have not had the chance to watch the East TN teams this year.

Brentwood and Franklin sweep 9AAA. 

I have not watched Cleveland/EH but I’ve seen Oakland/Blackman several times. Both teams are extremely well coached and will be tough to beat. (Not discrediting Cleveland/EH.)

East has to be the favorite for the remainder of the year, I would assume. 

I have the NFHS paid account so I've been able to watch most teams across the state of Tennessee at least once either in person, live from NFHS, or on demand. I've went to see 30+ games in person from my area. That's both boy's & girl's games included & mostly conference matchups except for all the Arby's Classic games. I got to see Bearden play twice there including the Arby's Championship Game. I've watched several Region 7 & Region 8 teams play online including Memphis East, Whitehaven, Franklin, & Bartlett from NFHS Network.

I have not seen Bolton play any games though. All other teams in the Class AAA Sectionals I've seen play at least once though either in person or online. Class AAA has several teams that can win the state title. Bolton, Station Camp, Blackman, & DB I feel are the less likely teams to have a chance going all the way. Sevier County has shocked me. I seen them play once in person back in December & didn't think they would even make the Sectionals. I think the Top 3 teams that have the best chance at a state title are Bartlett, Bearden, & Memphis East. This will depend on how the state tourney bracket is paired though.

Here are my picks for the Class AAA Sectionals:

Oak Ridge at Sevier Co.

Dobyns-Bennett at Bearden (BIG, 12-18+ Points)

Blackman at Cleveland

East Hamilton at Oakland

Gallatin at Franklin

Whitehaven at Bartlett (close game)

Bolton at Memphis East (BIG, 20+ points)

2 minutes ago, tnchad1980 said:

Oak Ridge at Sevier Co.

Dobyns-Bennett at Bearden

Blackman at Cleveland

East Hamilton at Oakland

Gallatin at Franklin

Whitehaven at Bartlett

Bolton at Memphis East

Oak Ridge, Bearden, Cleveland, East Hamilton, Brentwood, Franklin, Bartlett, East

• Like 1

The Commercial Appeal:

Wiseman posts triple-double in win over rival Whitehaven

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/03/01/memphis-recruit-james-wiseman-posts-triple-double-whitehaven-win/2984153002/

A relentless defensive effort from James Wiseman carried East to its fourth consecutive region title on Thursday. The seven-foot Memphis signee finished with a triple double, notching 27 points, 20 rebounds, and 10 blocks in a 60-44 win.

“It’s a great rivalry. It’s legendary, especially in our district, so I’m just glad to get the W tonight," said Wiseman, ranked as the nation's No. 1 player for the Class of 2019 in the 247Sports Composite.

East and Whitehaven have played each other nine times over the last two years, including last year's state championship game. East won that game for its third straight Class AAA state title under Penny Hardaway, now the Memphis Tigers coach.

“East-Whitehaven over the last four years will go down in history as some of the toughest battles from way back," Hardaway said. "Those are knock-down, drag-out battles every time.”

Both teams advanced to Monday's sectional round. East will host Bolton and Whitehaven will travel to Bartlett. The winner of each game will clinch a spot in the state tournament.

Different dynamic without Dandridge

East was without two starters. Dee Meriweather missed the game with a concussion and Memphis signee Malcolm Dandridge remains sidelined with a knee injury. Coach Jevonte Holmes said that the Jacobs brothers, Terrence and Tadarius, stepped up big.

"It’s not the same team. It’s a different dynamic missing Malcolm. Other guys stepped up. The little general JR (Terrence), he’s just a big help," said Holmes. "Tadarius is back in the fold, so we are a different team but I just love the effort."

Dandridge, a 6-9 forward, said that there were moments where he wanted to jump in and help the team but that he stayed patient and confident that East would get the job done.

"I knew my team would hold it down, so I was comfortable. I wasn’t stressing. They’re doing it for me so it’s no stress or pressure at all," said Dandridge.

Whitehaven guard Matthew Murrell, who missed several games last year with injuries, said that he knows what it's like to sit out in big games. He's grateful to have the opportunity this year.

"It’s a great experience playing in this environment," said Murrell, a four-star guard and the No. 3 player in Tennessee in the Class of 2020. "Last year, I wasn’t able to do it and it's a blessing to be able to do it this year."

East vs Whitehaven 'a rivalry but it's a family'

Holmes said that he and Whitehaven coach Faragi Phillips are good friends. They've coached together in the past, and they bounce ideas off of each other sometimes and they've formed relationships with players on both sides.

"I eat Sunday dinner with Matthew Murrell all the time," said Holmes. "He’s like a little brother to me. I train some of the kids on their team. It’s a rivalry but it's a family."

Dandridge, who played for Phillips with Team Penny, echoed that sentiment.

"Faragi is one of my favorite coaches that I’ve been under," said Dandridge. "It’s definitely a family, it's always tough love when we compete on the court but we still love each other off the court."

Phillips said that the familiarity is what makes the rivalry fun, along with the talent and preparation on both sides.

"You can kind of see that in the introduction, how we embrace each other and say, ‘Hey man, let’s go to war,’ but it doesn’t affect how we’re going to perform," said Phillips. "We don’t show any mercy because we know each other or have a good respect factor and we know they’re not going to do the same for us either."

Edited by kwc
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, kwc said:

The Commercial Appeal:

Wiseman posts triple-double in win over rival Whitehaven

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/03/01/memphis-recruit-james-wiseman-posts-triple-double-whitehaven-win/2984153002/

A relentless defensive effort from James Wiseman carried East to its fourth consecutive region title on Thursday. The seven-foot Memphis signee finished with a triple double, notching 27 points, 20 rebounds, and 10 blocks in a 60-44 win.

Different dynamic without Dandridge

East was without two starters. Dee Meriweather missed the game with a concussion and Memphis signee Malcolm Dandridge remains sidelined with a knee injury.

Memphis East is one of the favorites definitely to win Class AAA state title but the above injuries to Merriweather & Dandridge could be a problem for them. From what I've read the Dandridge knee injury will probably keep him out at least through the quarterfinals of the state tourney & possibly the rest of the season.

Merriweather will probably be back but maybe not for the Sectional against Bolton. They can beat Bolton easily without these 2 players but after that in the state tourney I think they will need them both. Just too many other really good teams left. Then again when you a James Wiseman it's possible he can carry the team himself to at least the state title game. He's just that good!

Edited by tonybologna

On 3/2/2019 at 2:20 PM, tonybologna said:

Memphis East is one of the favorites definitely to win Class AAA state title but the above injuries to Merriweather & Dandridge could be a problem for them. From what I've read the Dandridge knee injury will probably keep him out at least through the quarterfinals of the state tourney & possibly the rest of the season.

Merriweather will probably be back but maybe not for the Sectional against Bolton. They can beat Bolton easily without these 2 players but after that in the state tourney I think they will need them both. Just too many other really good teams left. Then again when you a James Wiseman it's possible he can carry the team himself to at least the state title game. He's just that good!

They beat Whitehaven by 16 without them. Whitehaven is not a pushover by any means. Whitehaven has the good to beat Bartlett at Bartlett tonight. That being stated ... I think the state is about to find out how good the unicorn is up close and personal.

47 minutes ago, kwc said:

They beat Whitehaven by 16 without them. Whitehaven is not a pushover by any means. Whitehaven has the good to beat Bartlett at Bartlett tonight. That being stated ... I think the state is about to find out how good the unicorn is up close and personal.

I think Whitehaven can beat Bartlett but Bartlett has been a low key very good team this year. It' won't surprise me if they beat Whitehaven. 

East will have no trouble with Bolton.